War Sumo Tournament 14 (Brackets Up)

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Re: War Sumo Tournament 14 (Brackets Up)

Post by Gonzap »

Vogue wrote:you should give in to gonzaps threats, rits

what would your tournaments be without him
No big deal to be honest. The integrity of the tournment is a big deal though. I wonder if you can understand what integrity menas since you've never had any.
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

that's a lot coming from a guy who murdered tx liza after meeting her
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Overrated wrote:Changing the randomization is damaging the legitimacy of the tournament.
SINEWAV ENTERS THE FRAY!

One of the problems here is that Ladle is so successful it becomes hard not to compare other tournaments to it. Unfortunately, Sumo tournaments are not Ladle and not subject to the same restrictions. Ladle is community-driven. Sumo tournaments are run by individuals who are free to make their own rules. Since Ritsuka is running this tournament no one has the authority to reverse his changes. This is not true of Ladle where transparency is important and problems are worked out among the group with everyone having equal authority. Don't like his decision? Don't play. Or better yet, host your own tournament and run it the way you see fit!

Historically, Sumo tournaments have been rather sketchy. They are played at irregular times and, sadly, bracket manipulation is common. The solution is to create a community-driven framework for Sumo tournaments. Several weeks ago I talked to Ritsuka (of all people) about an idea I call "Modular Sumo" which would allow for tournaments to run on a regular basis and with no one person in charge. Later, Ritz and another player talked themselves out of that idea and, well, here we are with this mess. When I get more time I will explain my Modular Sumo idea and perhaps someone else will pick it up (it is a big project and I have very little time lately).

Back to the situation at hand, the WST page does say brackets will be randomized. We all assume the placement to be final. It is a reasonable assumption and in my opinion the teams should not be changed. Or if they are changed, they should be done in public with agreement from all parties. But of course, WST has always been a farce with tons of aliased teams. It is randomness on top on randomness. There is nothing stopping any team from signing up several fake teams and simply playing under the one with the best opening round, abandoning the other fakes. When problems like this arise how can the community come together to and sort it out? Too many players are afraid to reveal themselves. You can't have a successful tournament this way. You will always be subject to rules you have no power over because you won't be identified (also, aliases suck). :P

So basically, shut up. At least Ritz is providing a tournament for you to play in. Nothing you say actually matters. Your options are (A) don't play (B) host your own tournament and take the heat when it gets screwed up, or (C) make Sumo tournaments community-driven (which will result in removing the aliases).
Last edited by sinewav on Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

Cody wrote: Also IF you even dare say I rig SBT brackets. Here you go Betch,

blah blah blah i smell weird

Now do us a favor and leave this topic fipp.
Lol don't insult us. We all know you perform the randomization over and over again till you get a bracket that you desire. It's common knowledge bro - seriously, ask around. Thing is, that kinda nullifies the point of randomization in the first place.
sinewav wrote: So basically, shut up. At least Ritz is providing a tournament for you to play in. Nothing you say actually matters. Your options are (A) don't play (B) host your own tournament and take the heat when it gets screwed up, or (C) make Sumo tournaments community-driven (which will result in removing the aliases).
Exactly. In the end, it's Ritsuka's decision. Anyway, this is one of those flame topics so I'm officially bowing out.

Oh, and you really don't want to start with the mudslinging Cody. Armagetron already has a village idiot - we don't need another.
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

LOL! Guys, calm down.. This could've been handled way better, people dont need to erupt and point fingers, i believe all she did was ask a question and say we were placed against eachother two WSTS in a row. Which sucks. Question Arose and ritsuka made a decision to switch brackets in "his" tourney.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

sinewav wrote:So basically, shut up. At least Ritz is providing a tournament for you to play in. Nothing you say actually matters. Your options are (A) don't play (B) host your own tournament and take the heat when it gets screwed up, or (C) make Sumo tournaments community-driven (which will result in removing the aliases).
Doesn't what he did essentially loose the backing of the community, even though he may be hosting it, that does not mean the community should not have any say in it. But yes, shut up it is his tourney to host, his mistakes, his loss in trust.
Ritsuka
Round Winner

Post by Ritsuka »

If a simple, YES, SIMPLE, change in the brackets of a tournament that I chose to host merely out of love for competitive sumo and the enjoyment of the community is enough to ruin said community member's trust in me (let's not forget that this is just a game, and theoretically speaking in a tournament setting the best team will come out the winner anyway), then I'm not interested in your respect. I didn't host this for recognition, and I damn sure didn't do it for brownie points. It's no secret that a vast majority of the tron community has negative feelings about me, Liz herself included, and those who I consider to be friendly acquaintances I would assume are mature and level headed enough to let something as trivial as a minor edit, that in my opinion will add at least one additional match worth watching, go without holding a ridiculous grudge. I have always hosted my tournaments with the highest level of professionalism, so I think I've earned the right to make one simple executive decision in exchange for the effort I've put into this (And yes, thank you Theo, and the other server donators for making these tourneys possible).

It's been said, if you don't like it, don't play. It doesn't even affect half of the people playing here, in fact, it's MY team that's giving up a bye to play a finals-level team in the opening round, so suck it up and move on.

I'm not going to be hosting any more sumo tourneys after this, with the exception of the Shovel, which WILL NOT allow ANY kinds of changes like this AT ANY TIME. If my actions here are enough to deter you from taking part in it when it begins, fine. I can't say I won't be disappointed, but I think it'd be awfully childish to let such a superfluous modification determine your opinion of me and my tournaments.
Last edited by Ritsuka on Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

kyle wrote:Doesn't what he did essentially loose the backing of the community, even though he may be hosting it, that does not mean the community should not have any say in it.
Right kyle, and the community has their say by following a course of action, preferably the one which leads to a head-less tournament system that spans all Sumo tournaments.

And with that, good luck to everyone in WST14!
Cody
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Cody »

Fippmam wrote:
Cody wrote: Also IF you even dare say I rig SBT brackets. Here you go Betch,

blah blah blah i smell weird

Now do us a favor and leave this topic fipp.
Lol don't insult us. We all know you perform the randomization over and over again till you get a bracket that you desire. It's common knowledge bro - seriously, ask around. Thing is, that kinda nullifies the point of randomization in the first place.
I swear do you even think before you talk? Your parents must be real proud of you. First, who the hell is "us" its just you honey boo bear, you got called out and now you want to go run and hide back in your trailer. Second, you wanted to say I rig brackets, prove it bitch. Also FYI I ALWAYS do a test of the !random, after what happened the first time I randomized back in SBT2, where someone else was also in the irc room doing !random as well, so I make sure that its all clear n ready to go. Nice try fipp, you tried to call me out on this topic(which I have no idea why because I havent even seen or spoken to you in a very long time, but nothing is really new, you've always been jealous of me.) and ended up getting your ass handed to you. K baiiiii
Zenith
Average Program

Post by Zenith »

Why'd you change the brackets, that makes no sense
J Dawg
Round Winner

Post by J Dawg »

I know I know you all wish I did this Tournament :D

tons of teams face each other all the time, shows which one is the better one. I dont think its right to change the teams, since both ks teams are equally skilled. It would have been one thing to switch it so the teams were more fair, or ks wanted to give the 2nd team a better chance. Oh well, I just came on here just to watch liz whine :p

Oh btw liz, Just because fortress is enjoyable for you does not mean you need to bring your sorry self here and ruin WST tournaments as well. You have been playing for a long time, and I am sure you have had to face your own team in the past, Idk why it is such a big deal Now (must be that time of month again) But seriously girl, you are no better than anyone else in this tournament, so next time just be a big girl and tough it out :)
ImageImageImageImageImage
Ritsuka
Round Winner

Post by Ritsuka »

Zenith wrote:Why'd you change the brackets, that makes no sense
If your team does not support the change they will be switched back. I was under the impression both teams were in favor of this.
J Dawg wrote:I know I know you all wish I did this Tournament :D

tons of teams face each other all the time, shows which one is the better one. I dont think its right to change the teams, since both ks teams are equally skilled. It would have been one thing to switch it so the teams were more fair, or ks wanted to give the 2nd team a better chance. Oh well, I just came on here just to watch liz whine :p

Oh btw liz, Just because fortress is enjoyable for you does not mean you need to bring your sorry self here and ruin WST tournaments as well. You have been playing for a long time, and I am sure you have had to face your own team in the past, Idk why it is such a big deal Now (must be that time of month again) But seriously girl, you are no better than anyone else in this tournament, so next time just be a big girl and tough it out :)
Please keep sexist or otherwise inappropriate remarks out of this thread
J Dawg
Round Winner

Post by J Dawg »

Whats that now ritsy?
Vogue wrote:i know you're mad because of ladle but wst is for FUN.
wait wait, I didn't hear that, say it again?
Vogue wrote:you should give in to gonzaps threats, rits

what would your tournaments be without him
Vogue wrote:it's hilarious how mad you all are
right, Because thats not inappropriate or offensive at all. Please, go put that thing on a leash before you tell me to be nice.
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

what time of the month is it, jdawg
J Dawg
Round Winner

Post by J Dawg »

Vogue wrote:what time of the month is it, jdawg

oh you know ;)