Fortres-sumo tourney

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Luiso
Average Program

Fortres-sumo tourney

Post by Luiso »

Hi guys, I have had an idea to have a tourney with sumo and fort mixed.
I don't really know if someone has had this idea before and I don't even know if this is the correct place to share my idea with you but whatever.
Well, the idea is based in inserting a sumo zone in the middle of a fort map (I don't know if it is possible but you guys will tell me).
So the map would be like this:

I think this type of map would be pretty funny but I don't think a server with this settings would have people normally since it may need a minimum of players to be played properly. That last reason is why I say it would be an idea for a tourney.

Its just a prototype so if you guys have any idea to improve what I say, tell it. I have thought it like this:
The normal fort zones would give the same points 4, and sumo zone would give 6 points (so it's important to fight for it and even to die for this)
The round ends when both zones of any team are conquered.
The limit score should be more than 100 (like 140)
Each team should be based on 6, like normal fort and the system of the tourney would be the same as ladle.
I have no way to try that settings on a server or even to configure a server with that settings (since I'm a noob on it).
So if you like that idea and people is interested in try it out we could have a nice tourney in my opinion.
Thanks for reading and sorry if this is not the correct place.
<3
I am not responsible for the content of this message ;)
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Fortres-sumo tourney

Post by Light »

I think you'd be better off getting a server together and seeing reactions before trying to put together a tournament. If you would like a server to test out your ideas, let me know and I can provide you with a temporary one.
Luiso
Average Program

Post by Luiso »

Light wrote:I think you'd be better off getting a server together and seeing reactions before trying to put together a tournament. If you would like a server to test out your ideas, let me know and I can provide you with a temporary one.
Well I would like to test it but I have no idea on putting settings in a server and all that stuff.
But if you can prepare it and people like the idea and wanna test it, It's fine for me
RoterBaron1337
Core Dumper

Post by RoterBaron1337 »

throw it in the cold water like seriously just make a tournament and everyone has to think of their strategys during the games.. waaay more fun!
Kappa
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

RoterBaron1337 wrote:throw it in the cold water like seriously just make a tournament and everyone has to think of their strategys during the games.. waaay more fun!
+1
Luiso
Average Program

Post by Luiso »

RoterBaron1337 wrote:throw it in the cold water like seriously just make a tournament and everyone has to think of their strategys during the games.. waaay more fun!
yup, that's what I thought.
The idea is very simple
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I've always felt that some 4-axis CTWF maps would be good for a tournament. This is an example of one. The map above would be excellent with teams of 8 so Fortress and Sumo can be done simultaneously. It the teams are small then it will be "let's sumo first, then attack" which is not as fun.

The big question is, will the Sumo zones shrink? I think they should, slowly. The trick is finding the best zone size and speed per the team size. A test server might help. Also, Slingshot.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

sinewav wrote:Also, Slingshot.
One of many that are there Dimond Sumo being the most classic of them

Anyway sumo zones vs fort zone qonquest rates are a bit different normally. So i would propse the map like beer mentioned, making spawns point to the fort zones from inside the sumo zone, see if with zonesv2 we can box the sumo zone out to made for differnt settings between the 2 zones on the map.

I may have time to play with it tomorrow.
Venijn
Round Winner

Post by Venijn »

What a brilliant idea. Definitely up for this, and yes, we should start with maps and let teams figure out their own strategies, looking forward to it already! \o/
Click. Image
Luiso
Average Program

Post by Luiso »

sinewav wrote: The map above would be excellent with teams of 8 so Fortress and Sumo can be done simultaneously. It the teams are small then it will be "let's sumo first, then attack" which is not as fun.
I had doubts about how many players would be perfect for this. In my opinion 6-7 is the perfect number, more 7 than 6.
With teams based on 6 players we could have more possibilities than just sumo and after attack. Center players will take more importance, they can choose get a good piece of sumo zone, try to kill the enemy center player or center the enemy team to break their defense. Also, if one team decides to have 4 players in sumo, the oher team could go for a fast hole leaving a single player in the sumo zone.
It would be the same with 7 but with more possibilities.
I don't like fortress with 8 people, it's way too many in my opinion.
sinewav wrote:The big question is, will the Sumo zones shrink? I think they should, slowly. The trick is finding the best zone size and speed per the team size. A test server might help. Also, Slingshot.
Sumo zones should definitely shrink.
I'll keep posting later, I have no time atm <3
J Dawg
Round Winner

Post by J Dawg »

I like the idea beer :p I would love to do something like this, it would definitely spice up regular fortress
ImageImageImageImageImage
RoterBaron1337
Core Dumper

Post by RoterBaron1337 »

what about you make the zones shrink and after a amount of time the team who has the zone (?) the team gets extra points for still defending it ? IMO the players who conquered the zone should get points for firstly conquering and then extra points for defending it.. it makes the zone more important
Kappa
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

Kyle your idea is the teams spawning at the middle of the sumo zone and heading towards their own fortress zones? that could be interesting to see how people can handle staying in the zone or defending the fortress zone, the strategies would be completely different than the normal fortress. All in all it sounds like a good idea but it has to be tested before to see if it's viable.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

What about making those centre zones self-conquer without support? Like kotf?
Luiso
Average Program

Post by Luiso »

kyle wrote:So i would propse the map like beer mentioned, making spawns point to the fort zones from inside the sumo zone, see if with zonesv2 we can box the sumo zone out to made for differnt settings between the 2 zones on the map.
That idea of making spawns point from inside the sumo zone would change it completely, I really prefer to keep regular spawns point.
We could test both ideas and check which one works better.
RoterBaron1337 wrote:what about you make the zones shrink and after a amount of time the team who has the zone (?) the team gets extra points for still defending it ? IMO the players who conquered the zone should get points for firstly conquering and then extra points for defending it.. it makes the zone more important
I think 6 points for conquering are enough importance for that sumo zone, and by defending it from the enemy you will avoid that they get 6 points so it is enough prize.
delinquent wrote:What about making those centre zones self-conquer without support? Like kotf?
Definitely no. It would make that you always have to leave a player inside this zone so in a 2 vs 1 it would look stupid. In addition to this, a kotf zone is gankable (isn't it?) so it wouldn't be sumo.