Tronathon

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Nanu Nanu
Core Dumper

Tronathon

Post by Nanu Nanu »

Someone said something that reminded me of ideas I had. Here they are (obviously you care about my ideas).

I'm not sure if this will even work due to people's short attention span. Anyway, we should have a tournament that covers most of the active (kinda?) game modes of tron. This would get people more interested in playing different divisions, and they may find something they enjoy. The winners are basically the best of the best tron players, or the maybe the most rounded. I propose the divisions High Rubber, Loose Dogfight, Fortress, Sumo, and CTF. Doing something like this would of course require much devotion and time because there would have to be 5 individual tournaments to make up the Tronathlon. This could be done in a number of ways; you could have 1 tournament every weekend for 5 weeks, or two every weekend for 3 weeks (one week would have one tourney), or even something longer with more breaks. You could also work with the current division tournaments (Ladle, Brawl, DFT) to take the place of these. This, however, does create some problems. See Teams for elaboration.

Teams: Teams would be 8 players (and perhaps 1 or 2 subs) of either clan mates or mixed players. Each player would have to play in at least one event (except subs). The problem with using already established tournaments is the teams. People may want to play with a different team than the one they already played for, for the big tournament of the year. People who do an already established tourney may not be interest in the Tronathlon. Also, teams for DFT and Brawl are much smaller. If these issues can be worked out and people are willing to use these tournaments to substitute some of the ones in the Tronathlon, then that would reduce the amount of tournaments people would have to play. I know many people can't be obligated to play for hours at a time every weekend.

The Tournaments: For the High Rubber event, two players from each team would play. This would be a free-for-all of 8 players per server. The first player to (x) points would move on to the next round.

For the Loose Dogfight event, one player from each team would vs one player from another team to (x) points, so 1v1.

For the Fortress event, it would basically be Ladle rules/sets.

For the Sumo event, three players from each team would play against another team, so 3v3. Could do WST rules/sets.

For the CTF event, it would basically be Brawl rules/sets.

Prior to each event, team leaders could submit a list of who will play for their team in that event.

Scoring: The top four teams receive the following points in each event. Ties for 2nd, 3rd, or 4th would both receive the points.
1st- 5 points
2nd-3 points
3rd-2 points
4th-1 point

It might also be nice to do an individual player score. When a player participates and places in an event, him/her and the other team members that participated in that event would receive individual points as well as team points. This would encourage players to play in as many events as possible. Individuals would receive points following same scoring as teams; 1st- 5 points, 2nd- 3 points, etc.

This is all just an idea, if you have something to contribute or you think this could work/is a good idea, please do tell! It'd be great to see this, or some version of it, happen one day.
Last edited by Nanu Nanu on Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prema wrote:The second match starts, a new beginning,
Nanu and Prema, Sui and Ninja,
versus those same old hoes grinning.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Tronathlon

Post by sinewav »

This has been tried a number of times and was even called a Tronathlon. There are a few reasons it never worked. The first is no one has yet been able to organize and promote it successfully. The second problem is that there are too many server variants in the loose/HR categories, so picking one above the others is too difficult. The third reason is, the different game modes are so fundamentally different from each other they can hardly be considered part of the same game. Here, allow me to explain...

Let's just forget for a moment that some of these games are for individuals and others for well-organized teams. That is a whole other issue, but we will never get that far because of the gap between high/low rubber games. You see, it's like this: No one who plays HR or Loose DF can compete with skilled low-rubber players. I'm sure some people here will protest that statement but it is a verifiable fact.

The Fortress/Sumo crowd can play CTF/Brawl because there is enough of an overlap between Fortress and CTF (teamwork, zones) for low-rubber players to be entertained. Loose DF is not even a game, it's just a bunch of morons masturbating each other with their cycle trails and yelling "closer n00b stabber" every chance they get. And High Rubber is like some boring exaggeration of Loose DF, but slowed down to the point it's more like a turn-based strategy game. Yawn.

So this is how the whole tournament would play out if it actually went off: Anyone who enters the event from the HR community will quickly find out that the winner is the one who gets the most speed kills. Low-rubber players will simply speed ahead of all the HR n00bs, make a trap using all their rubber then sit back and watch the fireworks. The Loose DF part of the event will be much the same with any "open" players stunned by the low-rubber jerks who feel no shame winding through their river-wide tunnels, overtaking, and sealing the crap out of them.

After the Fort/Sumo crowd blows through the HR/Loose part of the tournament we are left with a Sumo/Ladle/Brawl thing. Gee, I wonder who is going to win that? :roll:

Go ahead and make a Tronathalon. You might be surprised by the outcome, but I won't be, haha.
Soul
Match Winner

Post by Soul »

You couldn't be more wrong sine.wav. Claiming low rubber players who have never played loose df or even HR would win easily is extremely ignorant. Clearly you have never played either of these game modes yourself.

I think this would be a cool idea but would be very involved and might fail for the other reasons sine mentioned.
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

sinewav wrote: After the Fort/Sumo crowd blows through the HR/Loose part of the tournament we are left with a Sumo/Ladle/Brawl thing. Gee, I wonder who is going to win that? :roll:
Please sine.wav join DFT and then tell me if you feel the same, Redemption will gladly see you in the finals :P

And before you come at us with a redemption is a fort / sumo clan.. most of us ie. (soul, me, illusion, scene) all started out in dogfight..

So before deeming these people as automatically being worse than fort and sumo players, give them a shot and actually play versus them.
Nanu Nanu
Core Dumper

Post by Nanu Nanu »

I wasn't aware there was another tournament called this in the past. Guess I should have looked for it :oops:
I just posted this to see if anyone's interested and what the problems with such a thing might be, so thank you for your input.
Sine, I think you forget that there are no rules in high rubber except camping. Meaning that a low rubber player can indeed blow all their rubber on a trap, but the other player can back door too. In an 8 player free for all where nobody is playing nice, you aren't going to be able to fight one person at a time, people will be mean a d sandwich you. So you could get screwed after blowing all your rubber sitting in that trap to then find someone has trapped you. I'd also like to point out that there are some high rubber players that are very good at what they do and could easily beat low rubber players, no matter what they throw at them.

You're right about all the different variants of hr servers, which would be hard to choose from, but most dogfight servers are very similar, or you could even use DFT settings. Dogfight is a tricky mode to do tournaments for, but it can be done (DFT is proof). In DFT, there were one or two referees. Every time someone did an illegal move, they would be penalized. I don't remember correctly but I think if you made too many illegal moves in a match you would lose, but don't quote me on that. So this low rubber player would be forced to play properly if they wanted to have any hope of winning. Now that they're actually competing properly, I do see the dogfight players beating most of the low rubber players who aren't as experienced. Rd for example has more dogfight experience than other fort clans and they would probably do well in such an event.

The reason I said teams should be 8 players instead of 6 for a fort team, is that you can have a group of 6 that are good in sumo/fort/CTF and 2 HR/DF players. Or you could do it completely different, so it's up to you how you want to stack your team.

EDIT: I checked out that previous Tronathlon you linked to, and I can see why it failed since there was no information about any actual tournaments. Not even on its website.
Last edited by Nanu Nanu on Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

This would only be sucessful if it was a lol/fort/sumo tronathon.
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

Obviusly a Tronathon event would be great but we need more than Sumo Fort community, Df and Hr players rarely check this forums.
ElmosWorld
Match Winner

Post by ElmosWorld »

What's the price going to be on this? $10/month?
Nanu Nanu
Core Dumper

Post by Nanu Nanu »

orion wrote:Df and Hr players rarely check this forums.
This is true, so I guess the best way to get these players interested is in game. It shouldn't be too hard for those who frequent these servers. Tell some hr/df players, have them tell their friends, direct them to the forums or a wiki page if this ever happens.
prema
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by prema »

who spearheaded the Tronathlon last time... IIRC was it LoT? If yes, then they were a nooby clan already on the verges of having a clan death which is probably why it failed (no offense to any former LoTs) ...

The thing about organizing any competition is that it shouldn't be relied on just one person or just one clan. I'm sure since Nanu suggested this, the entire Serenity clan would be more than happy to help out, but if everyone does a little something then it should be more likely to actually get this started.

Now of course R will win because they work really well together. But the entire point isn't who is going to win and who is going to lose.. it's to come together as a tron community and expand into different gameplay areas. I mean back then it was Untitled who usually won Brawl, now R wins brawls, but still clans sign up to play brawl even though we all know the outcome. So who cares if R wins ... the fame only lasts a few minutes anyway ... a few congrats on the grid and a few posts here...
assaindan
Average Program

Post by assaindan »

I personally think Nanu has a great idea here. Given it was a fail before, that was then, the tron community is always changing no matter what. The part about them flying through the Df part, that is very untrue. Maybe you don't Df much but dfers do and they are well prepared, and some of them also like to play fort, they just think us forters come off mean. Yes, they probably do lack coming on here, but if we notify them on the game like Nanu said I think they will come on and be interested. Also, this is a great way for each and every tronner to get to know eachother. This is a great idea. Good job Nanu.

-Sain
Cody
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Cody »

Sine.wav has a point though, HR/DF players are severely handicapped when it comes to Fort/Sumo & even their own game modes, they have to use UNOFFICIAL rules that need to be enforced via Admins/Modd to use point deduction or to blow a person up thats "back dooring"

An example, Liz & I were DF partners for a DF tournament(we were invited to play to fill in a spot)

We actually ended up beating a good DF team & our next match, Force/Slick babysitted and deducted points from me & liz for game plays that TRON allowed us to DO.(fyi we would of won our match if we went by "tron" rules)

I don't even consider DF a gamemode just because for it to work, you need to enforce unofficial tron rulezzz.

I'd also like to take this time and announce that I've won somekind of Tournament that was high rubber and involved shooting a zone. Apparently my team & I beat some of the "best players of that gamemode" I've never played the gamemode before, but I used my single binding and rubber persevering wall grinding moves to win da game.
Nanu Nanu
Core Dumper

Post by Nanu Nanu »

I've never heard of such a game mode, Cody, but congratz :)
Cody wrote:Sine.wav has a point though, HR/DF players are severely handicapped when it comes to Fort/Sumo & even their own game modes, they have to use UNOFFICIAL rules that need to be enforced via Admins/Modd to use point deduction or to blow a person up thats "back dooring"
The only thing HR would need an admin to watch for is camping. Back dooring is allowed.
Cody wrote:I don't even consider DF a gamemode just because for it to work, you need to enforce unofficial tron rulezzz.
I myself am not a fan of dogfight and I used to think that the rules were silly. Maybe they are, but there are enough people that play by them that they pretty much are official rules within dogfight servers. Dogfight is more active than CTF and HR, and I do think those who play it wouldn't take too kindly to you saying it's not a game mode. I also find that those players who do find the rules to be ridiculous, tend to not be very good at the game mode as it is supposed to be played.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Soul wrote:Claiming low rubber players who have never played loose df or even HR would win easily is extremely ignorant. Clearly you have never played either of these game modes yourself.
You're right because after 6 years I've never once been in a HR/Loose/DF server and obliterated everyone in it. :roll:
Gazelle wrote:...most of us ie. (soul, me, illusion, scene) all started out in dogfight.
Thanks for proving my point. It's only when players "grow up" and leave that garbage scene do they get better.
Nanu Nanu wrote:Sine, I think you forget that there are no rules in high rubber except camping.
And that is one rule too many. How could you even enforce that in a tournament? Complaining about camping is just an acknowledgement that you suck.
Cody wrote:Sine.wav has a point though...
Damn right I do.
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

tronlathon is a better name