Tronathon

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Gazelle
Match Winner

Re: Tronathon

Post by Gazelle »

sinewav wrote:
scene wrote:Most DF people can 1 vs 1 without a referee anyways and be just fine as long as they both understand the rules of DF well and are honest.
The honesty factor is the greatest argument for settings and scoring that don't require a referee. In a small community like this, where commitment is sparse and bad blood is all around, making the game less dependent on the very few respected individuals we have is the best course of action if you want success.

bad blood... yeah i cant stand liz and most of [ks]

hahahahhaahahhahahahahah
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

If a "Tronathlon" happens, it must have styball in it. No negotiation. :D

As a totally biased player, for highrubber style I would suggest Wildcat settings. No rules there, a kill is a kill. And its speeds and craziness can make it actually exciting. Only argument against it are lags because of its speeds and craziness. Across-the-ocean matchmaking would be hell, could only be avoided if every team had an EU and an NA player for it (and also aussies/southamericans if there are many of you).

About "loose Dogfight", I just don't like it when rules aren't enforced by settings. That's why I don't play DFT. End of my comment for ldf. Stop the hate.

About the sumos, like this? I added the "long way around" path so that leeching is a possible tactic and players can do something after getting their zone, but it takes very long to reach the other zone so it rewards "staying" with the numbers advantage, and makes blocking those guys if needed really easy. And most importantly this should be possible to do with the vanilla game's settings. Or, with subspawns, we could have 2x old or new regular WST (or one each o.o) if those work.
doublewstconcept.png
doublewstconcept.png (4.26 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
I can make a map (and settings) for it if you like it. We could even just have this outside of the Tronathlon as fun new warsumo variation :)
ElmosWorld
Match Winner

Post by ElmosWorld »

How about racing?

As for the whole Dogfight/high rubber discussion, just make an event that is LMS. No rules, same concept. Just have to agree on settings.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Racing has many different settings. And maps. If we can agree on the settings and a map set, I'd be for racing as well :)
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

Lol I don't play racing, but if it happens, my money is on that BurnZ dude
Soul
Match Winner

Post by Soul »

We all know king racer would win :D

Sumo/Fortress/CTF/Racing would be cool :D
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Racing isn't a team-oriented game, though. If we have CTF, WST, and Fortress, it seems a bit nonsensical to have another mode where only one player matters.
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

this is a bit complex but stay with me

8 teams. (could work for 16 as well, but we don't get that for ladles even)

opening round is 8v8 fort. 4 winning teams of 8 players each. 32 octa-finalists total.

second round is TST. each winning fort team pairs down and top 2 advance. 8 teams advance of 2. 16 quarterfinalists total.

third round is SBT. tst pairs are split into two sbt circles. top 3 of each circle advance. 6 semifinalists total.

fourth round is WST. winning team advances. 3 finalists.

finals is 1v1 round robin. 1 winner
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

Ratchet wrote:Racing isn't a team-oriented game, though. If we have CTF, WST, and Fortress, it seems a bit nonsensical to have another mode where only one player matters.
we can make it Works teaming. (Davis cup)
Concord wrote:this is a bit complex but stay with me

8 teams. (could work for 16 as well, but we don't get that for ladles even)

opening round is 8v8 fort. 4 winning teams of 8 players each. 32 octa-finalists total.

second round is TST. each winning fort team pairs down and top 2 advance. 8 teams advance of 2. 16 quarterfinalists total.

third round is SBT. tst pairs are split into two sbt circles. top 3 of each circle advance. 6 semifinalists total.

fourth round is WST. winning team advances. 3 finalists.

finals is 1v1 round robin. 1 winner
good one, but not tronathon at all
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

orion wrote:good one, but not tronathon at all
QFT
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
J Dawg
Round Winner

Re: Tronathlon

Post by J Dawg »

Eliteopara wrote:Tronathlon seems to broad, time-consuming, and too difficult to make..
If you narrowed it down to just fort, sumo, and CTF, it would still to be broad to make.

Dont you guys understand what Nanu wrote at the beginning? This is like the olympics of armagetron. some teams will excel in some game modes while others will not, and the most rounded team will deserve the win. Take olympic sports, A country like Russia where they seem to excel in winter olympics than summer olympics, excelling in one mode and lacking in others. Or Track and field for example, some countries will excel in long distance while other countries excel in shorter distances. The whole point is to Encourage tronners to play other game modes and promote the game as a whole
simply saying that this tournament is not do-able is very arrogant of anyone who says so. This tournament can be organized! We just need people to get involved, give tron a good kick.

Also, nanu stated that teams will consist of 8 players. I doubt that ALL 8 players would compete in a HR match. no, you would want the most experienced played from your team in that event. Then when we move to a match that includes more players, Like CTF, simple. All you do again is assemble your best CTF players and play your match. It is a fairly simple idea to be honest. The scheduling should be pretty easy, the only thing would be the servers, which I think sine, kyle, rene, jip, lowkey, and light could arrange. correct me if im wrong, but with any server cant you configure the server to whatever you wanted? simple start with a HR tourny, then ctf, then DF, then racing, then Fortress etc. I do not think the tournament should just consist of fort/sumo/ctf, for that does not make it a tronathlon. We should try to include every game mode, even shooting game modes, and CTWF, although it is fortress, it is a game mode different from straight fortress like everything else.

Scene is right when he stated about the fortress community. HR/DF/Racing/shooters/styball players do not partake in the competition sections because we are so involved in fortress and sumo that when someone has an idea to bring other game modes in, it is almost immediately rejected. I think fortress players are a bit arrogant, and certainly are not the best players in arma. take a player like b3n, He sumos only I am pretty sure, and I would put him as a high caliber competitor to any fortress attacker if he defended. Sumo has many types of playing, and b3n understands that, which would relate to fortress positions like attacking and defending. even HR, a experienced sumo player is used to being trapped and tunneling out of it, b3n could easily win in a HR tourny because he has the knowledge of sumo to tunnel out, of course the traps are different but that does not mean he could not achieve it.

Now onto DF, I have not much experience, but idc, it will give me incentive to learn it. Clearly following the rules of DF is key to success, or else you end up losing, which you would in any other given torunament as sine.wav stated.

I hope we can organize this, it would be a great way to have players from all game modes compete, it would make this a tournament to remember IMO.
ImageImageImageImageImage