Tronathon

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Cody
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Tronathon

Post by Cody »

Soul wrote:@Cody:You clearly don't know the rules of loose dogfight and shouldn't participate if you don't. I'm sure I could be a pretty good basketball player if I didn't dribble and took steroids. In no way what you said made any sense at all. We are all dumber for listening to that. Thanks for demonstrating your elitism though.

*burn inspired by billy madison
you call that a burn? go back to your dry erase board bitch.

Anyway you know I'm right, GG. The point is that there are NO rules in loose dogfight, only rules I follow are the ones are set by tron, dont like it? code it. Also at your basketball player comment, that made no sense.
Anybody that doesnt follow DF rules would easily win against DF players
Why is that? Because without the bullshit rules, its a gamemode that low rubber players excel at.
Soul
Match Winner

Post by Soul »

If you don't understand the basketball comment I think we are done here. Rofl.
woof
Round Winner

Post by woof »

@Cody

Nah...that's like saying if I had used my hands in this soccer match I would have won but stupid FIFA went and enforced these bullshit "rules"!

Like it or not, rules are part of the game 8)
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

A couple years ago when I finally left the scene of ID and DD high Rubber, I went to ctf only because DF had too many rules. With that being said, DF and CTF are so similar physics wise (not necessarily gameplay wise) that when players from either game modes migrate to low rubber, they always have an advantage over other low rubber newbies.

With that being said, it'd probably be better to take out HR from the equation. It's too intrinsically different from the others, hence why HR players just don't translate well into Low Rubber modes. Since I think the logical hierarchy of progression on tron is HR -> DF/CTF -> Sumo/Fort, I really don't see the HR dudes doing anything outside their native game modes. Most Fort/Sumo/ctf/df players on the other hand, have an advantage in HR since they probably used to play these modes years ago.

...Now that HR's out, I'd also say petition getting rid of DF since I personally don't like those rules...but that's just me. Anyway if the tournament happens, I'll probably just seal people in DF and say "sorry." Works every time :D It's obvious from this thread that DF rules annoy a lot of players.

O and prema...You totally just jinxed us =.=
Last edited by Fippmam on Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cody
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Cody »

Soul wrote:If you don't understand the basketball comment I think we are done here. Rofl.
Comparing a real sport to Tron in general, just shows that you're desperate when you're backed in a corner.....

XOXO GURL.

How hard is it for you guys to understand, unofficial rules that are NOT enforced by the server on armagetron is laughable. How is it DF players would get slaughtered by us if they didn't have their rules? There are reasons rules are enforced irl sports, What are the legit reasons of enforcing no back dooring and no closing?
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

Cody wrote:
How hard is it for you guys to understand, unofficial rules that are NOT enforced by the server on armagetron is laughable. How is it DF players would get slaughtered by us if they didn't have their rules? There are reasons rules are enforced irl sports, What are the legit reasons of enforcing no back dooring and no closing?
I'd have to agree. I understand that DF servers are one of the more popular servers on tron, and that it's occupying a valid niche on the ecosystem of tron,, but...it's just not really a game mode. It's like panda making a server and demanding that no one seals. Would that be a game mode, or just...a server? Since Tron has no way of enforcing those rules in its code, I just don't see it as a full fleshed mode.
scene
Core Dumper

Post by scene »

I would love for this to happen considering I enjoy playing in every game type. I think it is a lot to organize but I think maybe if it even started up using the current tournaments (ladle, dft, wst-if its still going on, brawl, bring back the tilt?) it could be off to a good start. I think it's going to be way too hard to get people to play in a whole additional tournament for each game type though, but finding out the best well rounded team in this game would be pretty cool and you could derive that from a string of current tournaments.

As far as the classic condescending tone that is made about DF/HR players goes, who cares? DF/HR players have their own community outside fortress. Doing this tronathlon is a way to try and get the ENTIRE tron community together for a fun time (that is why people play this game still, right?) Who cares who wins?

Oh and just to put my 2 cents in about df rules being stupid -- the art of DF is to be able to kill someone by touching the walls as little as possible. It's a different way to play the game and a lot of people find it very fun. If you've ever watched two good DFers 1 vs 1 before it can be a beautiful thing to watch, and it takes a lot of skill to be able to core dump someone without touching the walls. Players in DF servers know what the rules are, and if you don't follow them then yeah they don't want you in the server (especially if you don't care one bit to start with). Players aren't going to just kick you out because you're winning though -- that's ridiculous. But regardless, why do you even have to rip on the game mode? Do you really care that much about what other people do? It's their server and it's their game mode so you follow their rules if you're playing with them. It's not like i'm going to go into a basketball game and pile-drive everybody like I can do in hockey.
Cody
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Cody »

Fippmam wrote: It's like panda making a server and demanding that no one seals. Would that be a game mode, or just...a server? Since Tron has no way of enforcing those rules in its code, I just don't see it as a full fleshed mode.
MY GOD FIPP YOU! YOU WENT AHEAD AND PWNED THESE GURLS! amazing.
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

Cody wrote:MY GOD FIPP YOU! YOU WENT AHEAD AND PWNED THESE GURLS! amazing.
lold

Cody.. So from what im hearing, if rules arent coded in the script / enforced by server they dont matter... So i can willingly team kill my entire team in a pickup match and they cant do jack shit about it? Please you sound pathetic atm.
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

Gazelle wrote:
lold

Cody.. So from what im hearing, if rules arent coded in the script / enforced by server they dont matter... So i can willingly team kill my entire team in a pickup match and they cant do jack shit about it? Please you sound pathetic atm.

That is disadvantageous to your team. Its different from the DF/Panda Server issue I mentioned because your teammates hope you have enough sense to not to. If you tk, you lose - No one is forcing you not to tk. In fact, do it next ladle - I'm sure the other team would love it xD.
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

Fippmam wrote:That is disadvantageous to your team. Its different from the DF/Panda Server issue I mentioned because your teammates hope you have enough sense to not to. If you tk, you lose - No one is forcing you not to tk. In fact, do it next ladle - I'm sure the other team would love it xD.
Yes but in pickup server it is not enforced in the tron script.. it is enforced by admins on IRC.. and according to cxdy that doesnt mean shit.. so i can teamkill and it wont matter they cant "ban" me from the server cause according to the server, im not breaking any rules.

Not really cause df players would hopefully have the sense not too, but new players that dont understand the rules do not..

Just like in fort, if some new player teamkills they are kicked.. but according to cody, they shouldnt be because it is not enforced in the server script... correct?
Last edited by Gazelle on Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Let this thread be a reminder to why the tron community will never "unite". See shit like Fortress & Sumo United.

We can't even have a tournament that crosses the game-mode barrier.

I, like Sine, feel like the players from Sumo/Fortress have a greater grasp of rubber-management, and thus adapt quickly to modes like DF/CTF/HR. That doesn't necessarily mean, though, that the players from DF/HR can't compete with the Sumo/Fort players. Many of the DF players are actually rather impressive at Sumo/Fortress, even in their early stages of learning the modes.

Playing modes that require "enforcement" is another monster entirely. In terms of competition, I don't think it's a good idea to do something that requires having opinionated calls. CTF/Sumo/Fortress is an interesting enough combination, and I think it is best to mirror the Tronathlon to an actual Triathlon, which consists of 3 stages.
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Cody
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Cody »

Gazelle wrote:
Cody wrote:MY GOD FIPP YOU! YOU WENT AHEAD AND PWNED THESE GURLS! amazing.
lold

Your argument is once again flawed. What are the reasons of enforcing no backdooring/no closing? Also tking your entire team isn't against the rules, Its just stupid to do so because you'll lose, after watching your previous ladles though I've seen how you've personally executed this strategy multiple times ;)
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

DF is the 3rd most active gamemode , what are you discussing?
scene
Core Dumper

Post by scene »

so what was this thread about again? Discussing the potential of a tronathlon or trolling each other? I forget