Ladle 72

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

ppotter
Match Winner

Re: Ladle 72

Post by ppotter »

If there is a vote please count uNk as a no, we have several players that wouldn't be able to make an earlier start.
J Dawg
Round Winner

Post by J Dawg »

CT also is also a no. As much time as It would save, with the amount of teams we have it will already be a quick tourny
ImageImageImageImageImage
DaGarBBaGeMAN
Core Dumper

Post by DaGarBBaGeMAN »

Actually, it's going to be just as long as every other ladle despite the fact that there are far less teams this time. Think about it, if even one match in a round takes too long, it holds up the entire bracket. If you look at the brackets, every round is very likely to have at least one match up that's not going to be short.

So, using your predictions as an example Jdawg-

Opening Round:

Team Unknown Vs. Speeders (2-0)
RoadRunnerZ Vs. Immortal Dynasty (2-1)

Pretty even teams = Longer matches

Quarter Finals:

Team Unknown Vs. Crazy Tronners Alpha (1-2)
Crazy Tronners Beta Vs. Phoenix Embers (2-1)

Again, even match ups.

Semis:

Rogue Tronners Vs. Redemption (1-2)

Long matches.

Finals:

Crazy Tronners Alpha Vs. Redemption (???)

More long matches.

tl;dr- there's going to be more waiting than playing this Ladle.
Image -made by az95

Soul
Match Winner

Post by Soul »

I don't see how starting earlier will make it quicker. It will only change the time that you're playing/waiting

But Redemption will vote for whatever the majority is.
Nub
Average Program

Post by Nub »

Psy I sent you a message about playing with rZ. We might need an additional player or two depending on how many of our applicants show up, so anyone still needing a team can PM me here or on the RoadRunnerZ website.
Image Image Image Image
Overrated
Match Winner

Post by Overrated »

Just to clarify, all that would happen would be to shift all the times listed on the bracket 45 minutes earlier, and the only reason this would be fair enough is if the opening round teams don't get e(a?)ffected by it. Every other team shouldn't care since their first matches would be at the normal start time. I don't want to push this if the opening 4 can't make it (although so far I've only seen an issue with unk).

The main reason is to shorten the ladle because it sucks that the second round won't start until 230 est since a majority of the teams play then, but again, if the opening 4 can't do it then we might as well scrap it (unless everyone says fu unk and start earlier (which I wouldn't be ok with)).
BRAWL dead. RIP.

Fort is like a box of knives, you never know when you're going to be cut.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

I remember a time where the opening round was at that schedule. It was a good time. Now it starts damn late.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

vov wrote:I remember a time where the opening round was at that schedule. It was a good time. Now it starts damn late.
I think it was pushed back (forward?) because we were regularly getting 17+ teams.
ElmosWorld
Match Winner

Post by ElmosWorld »

Overrated wrote:e(a?)ffected
affected
J Dawg
Round Winner

Post by J Dawg »

After reading what DGM Said, I cant help but to agree with him. Whether ladle starts at 17 gmt or 17:45, We would still have to wait, a lot, as always. tournaments aren't designed to be 1 hour of blasting fun, when you win, you advance, then you wait for the next team to advance, and then try to accomplish the same thing. In reality, earlier matches of ladle are quicker, depending on the skill level of both and the championship is usually the longest match (due with having the top two teams being very evenly matched)

Doesn't really matter to me. I dont mind waiting, the anticipation build up of your next opponent, then actually warring them to advance is very exciting to me, and probably a lot of others.
ImageImageImageImageImage
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

DaGarBBaGeMAN wrote:Actually, it's going to be just as long as every other ladle despite the fact that there are far less teams this time. Think about it, if even one match in a round takes too long, it holds up the entire bracket. If you look at the brackets, every round is very likely to have at least one match up that's not going to be short.
That's probably not true. Just the fact that there are much less matches means that the longest match in this tournament is likely to be shorter than the longest match in previous tournaments. And besides, assuming you're right about the matches that run long, waiting should be minimal. The two quarters that you say will run long are on the opposite side of the bracket as the semifinal you say will run long. Plus, the two first round games that'll run long are on opposite sides. So assuming you identified the correct long-running matches, the two quarterfinal teams at the top should finish about the same time, and the two semifinals should finish at about the same time.

Regardless, I don't think it's a good idea to change the time this close to the tournament. We don't want any confusion on game day.
DaGarBBaGeMAN
Core Dumper

Post by DaGarBBaGeMAN »

owned wrote:And besides, assuming you're right about the matches that run long, waiting should be minimal. The two quarters that you say will run long are on the opposite side of the bracket as the semifinal you say will run long.
Good point, hadn't thought of that
Image -made by az95

Zimblunk
Average Program

Post by Zimblunk »

DaGarBBaGeMAN wrote:Well we just hit a really big low. Last time there were 6 bye's and less than 10 teams was Ladle 27 :o
:(

Raw data for the Ladle participation graph attached.
Attachments
LadleParticipationWithAvgs-Ladle72.xls
(44 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

Unk's server crashed twice in 10 minutes. We are currently discussing changing the server Just a heads up for anyone else who might be scheduled to play here.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

IRC wrote:<zmanuel> Team Unknown and Speeders just started their match on CT LIV.
<zmanuel> Instead of uNk or Light's, where they should have been.
<zmanuel> Could Rogue Tronners and Serenity start their match on a backup server right away?
<zmanuel> Renegade does not seem to be availalble, but my server is.
Maybe not an issue, maybe they will finish in time.