Ladle 71

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Post Reply
User avatar
takburger
Match Winner
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: Ladle 71

Post by takburger » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:12 am

What about servers you can rent on a shorter period than one month ?

On demand hosting is often per hour of usage. The price would tremendously fall..
Image

User avatar
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1643
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Re: Ladle 71

Post by Light » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:14 am

takburger wrote:What about servers you can rent on a shorter period than one month ?

On demand hosting is often per hour of usage. The price would tremendously fall..
It would have to be quite cheap per hour, since it would be needed for probably 6 hours to be safe. Setting up is pretty quick, but you want it done for all of them before the tournament. Then, the tournament time varies ..

If it's even $1 per hour, then there's no reason not to just go for the monthly rental.

User avatar
Fippmam
Round Winner
Posts: 392
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:54 am

Re: Ladle 71

Post by Fippmam » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:37 am

Maybe on the other days of the month, it can be used for whatever tournament happens to be going on. Y'know, brawl for example, or AFL or even Tour (before Conc decided to nerf it).

User avatar
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1643
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Re: Ladle 71

Post by Light » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:44 am

Fippmam wrote:Maybe on the other days of the month, it can be used for whatever tournament happens to be going on. Y'know, brawl for example, or AFL or even Tour (before Conc decided to nerf it).
Yeah. General community tournament servers would be kind'a nice. It would help out a bit I'm sure, and may even help start up some new tournaments where servers were an issue.

With that, you may also find it easier to get donations to keep them servers running if people from all tournaments are benefiting from it.

You would need someone in charge of it though, rather than giving all access to it, even if you set up some CP. I could already picture users changing stuff on eachothers' tournaments just to try and be funny.

PokeMaster
Match Winner
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:36 am

Re: Ladle 71

Post by PokeMaster » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:51 am

A general tournament server sounds like a good idea. Perfect actually. Tournaments are really the only places where we sometimes don't have enough servers. There are already plenty of servers (and server types) to play in casually.

I would also suggest that we go for quantity of servers before quality. Start out with 1 or 2 servers, conserving budget, and if they don't perform well enough, we can re-assess. I think one of the most important things to do with the money collected would be to hold onto it for future months' rent. We want whatever we apply the money to to be cost-effective, since it's (potentially) coming from many people.

As for server management, I think it'd be easy to nominate and vote on some global admins who can have access to include whatever cfgs are needed for x tournament.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

User avatar
Fippmam
Round Winner
Posts: 392
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:54 am

Re: Ladle 71

Post by Fippmam » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:56 am

PokeMaster wrote: As for server management, I think it'd be easy to nominate and vote on some global admins who can have access to include whatever cfgs are needed for x tournament.

Yea - just like there are global mods for pickup servers, same idea could be used for the tournament servers

J Dawg
Round Winner
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:57 am

Re: Ladle 71

Post by J Dawg » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:40 am

Fippmam wrote:
PokeMaster wrote: As for server management, I think it'd be easy to nominate and vote on some global admins who can have access to include whatever cfgs are needed for x tournament.

Yea - just like there are global mods for pickup servers, same idea could be used for the tournament servers

I like that. The global Mods should be the same people who always provide servers, to not complicate things bt electing clan leaders or team leaders in the tournament. Sine, Kyle, Jip, Light, Renegade are just a few I had in mind.
ImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Renegade
Core Dumper
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:44 pm

Re: Ladle 71

Post by Renegade » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:52 am

If we're gonna pool resources together and host tournament servers, I think we may as well host other events with consistent frequency, so the community gets out as much as they put in.
Image

User avatar
sinewav
Graphic Artist
Posts: 6198
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:37 am
Contact:

Re: Ladle 71

Post by sinewav » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:56 am

Before I forget, Global Stats attached. Congratulate Serenity on winning their first Ladle match. Hopefully next month they advance to the quarters, or semis, or finals! Also, Phoenix, WTF. Get your act together. You guys can do better. I believe in you.
Attachments
ladle_stats_71.xls
(29.5 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

User avatar
Fippmam
Round Winner
Posts: 392
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:54 am

Re: Ladle 71

Post by Fippmam » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:30 am

Renegade wrote:If we're gonna pool resources together and host tournament servers, I think we may as well host other events with consistent frequency, so the community gets out as much as they put in.
As if on cue: http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 60&t=23247

User avatar
takburger
Match Winner
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: Ladle 71

Post by takburger » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:44 pm

Light wrote:
takburger wrote:What about servers you can rent on a shorter period than one month ?

On demand hosting is often per hour of usage. The price would tremendously fall..
It would have to be quite cheap per hour, since it would be needed for probably 6 hours to be safe. Setting up is pretty quick, but you want it done for all of them before the tournament. Then, the tournament time varies ..

If it's even $1 per hour, then there's no reason not to just go for the monthly rental.
On Amazon EC2, it says it is 0,480$/h (OVH is 0.015€). The price is changing every hour depending on the market.

The problem of such offers is (but I think as other dedicated servers) not tailored to Armagetron requirements which are: low ping only. They have offers with better connection or worse connection. I chose a fast connection on a basic offer. But there are some faster ones but also more expensive because offering very high computing capacity.
Image

Venijn
Round Winner
Posts: 230
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Ladle 71

Post by Venijn » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:17 pm

sinewav wrote:Before I forget, Global Stats attached. Congratulate Serenity on winning their first Ladle match. Hopefully next month they advance to the quarters, or semis, or finals! Also, Phoenix, WTF. Get your act together. You guys can do better. I believe in you.
Indeed. We took a big step internally, the only way is up! Losing to the ladle winners holds no shame though, nor does losing to that 71's team, both in US servers. Being trolled the whole time never helps though, I'll use my silencing hammer more appropriately next time.

I'm pretty proud of how we did, and can't wait to try again!

As for the actual thread, how about pickup admins too? I know Peat hosts a number or servers, and it's very little effort for him to set them up. When I spoke to him last, I think he only charges about $3 a month. Good start I reckon!
Click. Image

User avatar
Jip
Round Winner
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: Ladle 71

Post by Jip » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:24 pm

I am sorry, I was on vacation and had no possibility to start the server and forgot to do it before I left.

User avatar
Fippmam
Round Winner
Posts: 392
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:54 am

Re: Ladle 71

Post by Fippmam » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:21 pm

Yea but Peat's servers aren't really "lagless" xD. How about going off the server tracker list to see the best hosts? I know Poke said quantity before quality, but I think he meant the other way around, and I agree completely.

J Dawg
Round Winner
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:57 am

Re: Ladle 71

Post by J Dawg » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:37 pm

Fippmam wrote:Yea but Peat's servers aren't really "lagless" xD. How about going off the server tracker list to see the best hosts? I know Poke said quantity before quality, but I think he meant the other way around, and I agree completely.

I think he meant right. having a lot of servers during a tournament is a big help. If one server crashes you have 2 or three servers to back that up, once we have a good number of servers, then we can start working on the quality of it.

I would love to be apart of this and also donate money towards this, It should be something all fortress players help out in.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Post Reply