Tron Ranking System opening now!

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

orion
Match Winner

Re: Tron Ranking System opening now!

Post by orion »

Soul wrote:Orion. Let me get this straight. You're expecting people to pay $10/$12 a month just to play in your tournaments which are no different than any current free and successful ones we already have? On top of that, not even paying for and hosting the servers yourself?? What have you done that others haven't that earns you a profit?

nothx

Guess your braincells arent ready to read a text. Im making tournaments weekly, im making tournaments never played (including played tournaments too), and yes I pay and I have my own servers.
Soul
Match Winner

Post by Soul »

orion wrote:
Soul wrote:Orion. Let me get this straight. You're expecting people to pay $10/$12 a month just to play in your tournaments which are no different than any current free and successful ones we already have? On top of that, not even paying for and hosting the servers yourself?? What have you done that others haven't that earns you a profit?

nothx

Guess your braincells arent ready to read a text. Im making tournaments weekly, im making tournaments never played (including played tournaments too), and yes I pay and I have my own servers.
1. Whether the tournaments are weekly or not is pretty irrelevant
2. I doubt you have enough servers to host it by yourself (Well, maybe because no one will join)
3. Creating a new tournament is nothing new. You know ladle was once a new tournament too, right? :roll:
4. Maybe my braincells could "read" a "text" if it wasn't as butchered as yours is

Again, I will ask you the question: What have you done that others haven't?
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

you dont care rtrd........
woof
Round Winner

Post by woof »

I'm seeing that your main emphasis is that there are weekly tournaments (which if I'm reading correctly is also essentially the main reason you're asking us to pay). To be honest though, that's a little excessive anyways, and considering we already have the majority of those tournaments it's just not worth it to blow 120 bucks on. I understand why you might be frustrated orion, but if you dont pay attention to the reaction of the community the league isn't going to succeed.
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

woof wrote:I'm seeing that your main emphasis is that there are weekly tournaments (which if I'm reading correctly is also essentially the main reason you're asking us to pay). To be honest though, that's a little excessive anyways, and considering we already have the majority of those tournaments it's just not worth it to blow 120 bucks on. I understand why you might be frustrated orion, but if you dont pay attention to the reaction of the community the league isn't going to succeed.
Thanks Wolf.
Im not frustated, when i started this i knew about the negative reactions it could cause. I want armagetron to look more "professional", and no, you dont have the majority of those tournaments. Anyway i think armagetron community have what they deserve, or more.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

You need a better advertising consultant than yourself. Telling people they don't care etc. isn't going to help when some of them have very good reasons to object and thus helping to improve your idea. Telling you that you could possibly run into legal problems with this is the opposite of just being 'negative'.

I like that someone tries to get this done, but I'd just say the price is far too high, the different prices for Europeans and Americans seems absurd, and my fortress ranking positions will always depend on the team. People can have 'serious matches' if they would take non-tournament games more seriously and pay attention to the ladder that already exists, like I do most of the time.
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

Word wrote:You need a better advertising consultant than yourself. Telling people they don't care etc. isn't going to help when some of them have very good reasons to object and thus helping to improve your idea. Telling you that you could possibly run into legal problems with this is the opposite of just being 'negative'.

I like that someone tries to get this done, but I'd just say the price is far too high, the different prices for Europeans and Americans seems absurd, and my fortress ranking positions will always depend on the team. People can have 'serious matches' if they would take non-tournament games more seriously and pay attention to the ladder that already exists, like I do most of the time.
And whats the Price you think its reasonable?
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

What 2020 and I think Concord have proposed for the Tronic Cup, 1$ per player for each tournament (and we were not talking about a tournament every single month). The winner's prize would grow as we get more players.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

orion wrote:Thanks Wolf.
Im not frustated, when i started this i knew about the negative reactions it could cause. I want armagetron to look more "professional", and no, you dont have the majority of those tournaments. Anyway i think armagetron community have what they deserve, or more.
TST - There's another one coming up by ww

JUMBO Sumo Tournament - Newly back, so tournaments may or may not come. Still pretty much just a sumo tournament though, so not really something special.

Racing Tournament - Isn't that pretty much how racing is set up? To compete for the best ranked time. I don't see how doing it tournament style would add anything extra to it really. Maybe people would like it .. but I don't see it.

Wild Fortress - There was one not too long ago. On top of that, there is the monthly fortress (Ladle).
Soul wrote:Again, I will ask you the question: What have you done that others haven't?
So, this becomes a pretty good question.
orion wrote:you dont care rtrd........
Also, just insalting people, which I can only assume you meant "retard", isn't going to help you gain any customers. Maybe instead of just telling people their voice don't matter, try listening to what people actually want and try transforming it into something people would be willing to pay for if that's your goal. As it stands now, you don't appear to have anything worth paying for. If people are interested in having any of the tournaments you host, we could simply host a free one and I'm sure the free one would be more popular than the paid.

There's also a lot of younger kids in the game that simply couldn't pay to play in them. You're instantly cutting out a huge chunk of people from your tournaments. If you really want to make money, maybe look into having to do one of them surveys or something to register. You would make a little money, and it wouldn't actually cost anyone to join. They're annoying as hell, but at least it would be a step in the right directions I think. And I know you won't make as much from something like that, but what you're asking for is way too much.

I would also suggest you have an English speaker redo the text on your site. I'm not being rude, but it could really use some help.
Word wrote:What 2020 and I think Concord have proposed for the Tronic Cup, 1$ per player for each tournament (and we were not talking about a tournament every single month). The winner's prize would grow as we get more players.
I think he's looking to make more profit than a couple bucks a month or however often it would be. But if people got together and did this, just working together I think it would be pretty nice.

At the end, pay out (minus the Paypal fees) everything in the tournament to the winners rather than some "top man" keeping a percentage. If there was enough interest, you could even pay the top x winners, probably 3. People would probably feel more comfortable trying for it, though a buck ain't going to break anyone. You don't sound like you would be thinking profit with your post, but if you were, I am probably off of what you'd hope for then. :P
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

Ww TST is actually a tiny tournament, JUMBO would be new, Racing is new, Wild fort have been played. Anyway there are only the 4 upcomming events, it doesnt mean are only those 4.

Im giving lot better organisation than it actually have and tournaments more ofen.

I dont mind on gain a big amount of money with tron when i actually have a company on my real life. Im just not making it for free.

I listen everyone but im not the first on ignore Soul comments.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Honest question; how many people have signed up and payed 10$/12$?

If the answer to that is zero, I can't say I'm surprised.

Hosting tournaments is hardly something to request getting paid for. Even if you had some stellar fail-proof system enabling them to go perfectly 100% of the time, I still don't see it being worth 10$ a month. Probably not even $5. A reasonable amount, if ANYTHING were going to be charged, would be like $2-3. Consider this: a 64 person tournament of anything. If you host ONE of those a month, that's $128-$192. That, again, is a bit ridiculous just for setting up a wiki page/signup system for tournaments, and then hosting the servers you need for ~$15 with a VPS.

Then, four tournaments a month? (Weekly?) $512 - $768*. Shit, I could quit my minimum wage job and do that and make more, and all I'd be doing is sitting on my ass promoting tournaments. And these numbers are assuming a tiny percentage of tron signs up... There are far more than 64 players that play in competitions.

It's simply not.going.to.work. Try a more gradual approach. Show that you have something special to offer, garner a LARGE crowd of players. Impress them. Then, announce ahead of time that you intend to introduce a small fee to play. Start out with $1, or $2. Bump it up to $3 or $4 if it seems to be working. Don't just walk out and say flat-out that it's a $10 fee, no negotiations. Not going to get very far like that.

I would personally agree to a $10 monthly fee to play tron if it were ever to become a discussion. Hell, if I didn't need all the money I can get for the next 4 years at college, I'd already be contributing a monthly fee without it being required. The game took YEARS of work (in bits and pieces, of course) to develop. Your tournaments would hardly take "hours" to put together.

Sorry if I sound harsh, I just can't believe the persistent ignorance that this thread is turning into.

Edit: forgot the note: *assuming different players participate in each tournament
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Concord

Post by Concord »

pay to play is just wrong.

I don't think I ever advocated the $1 entry that 2020 mentioned with the Cup (million player Ladle, etc). Maybe I did, but I don't think so. If it ever got that big, the advertising possibilities on a streamed broadcast (rim walls, floors, cycles, adverts between rounds) would be able to pay out a lot more without costing the players anything. That's something that only could exist if the game got huge though.
Venijn
Round Winner

Post by Venijn »

The thing I like most about tron is the community. Every month, people give their time, contribute their servers, organise teams (usually privately funded.) These forums are alive with further contributions, whether updating the software, finding ways of helping new players and helping the game grow.

We share one love, and we band together to make it happen time and time and time again.

This is a massive step in the wrong direction, and I would go as far to say that to try and gain from a community based on mutual contribution, whilst offering nothing to those who developed all this in the first place is very wrong.

Why should you profit from Armagetron when the creators, developers and others who have and continue to put in far more work than you, those who created the very platform from which you wish to profit don't?
Last edited by Venijn on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Click. Image
DDMJ

Post by DDMJ »

Netflix is cheaper than this

/thread
Light

Post by Light »

DDMJ wrote:Netflix is cheaper than this
Online movies are free. :P Then again ... so are AA tournaments.