Tron Ranking System opening now!

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Ratchet
Match Winner

Re: Tron Ranking System opening now!

Post by Ratchet »

American membership is $10, European membership is $12? Dude, no offense, but that's nuts.

Competing for money is going to cause even more clan/competition corruption than there already is. No thanks.
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
Renegade
Core Dumper

Post by Renegade »

Ratchet wrote:American membership is $10, European membership is $12? Dude, no offense, but that's nuts.

Competing for money is going to cause even more clan/competition corruption than there already is. No thanks.
+1

As it is, weekly events have not been known to last long because there's not enough value on it, as, say, a monthly tournament, or a yearly tournament.

Besides, I think a good majority of players are still in school, so to ask something like this is too much, as we are not yet self sufficient.

I agree with Ratchet, involving money is just a bad move, it's a disaster waiting to happen, and will definitely not end well.
Attachments
4624805+_ec0e6e4240e89330550b400f3f93b597.gif
4624805+_ec0e6e4240e89330550b400f3f93b597.gif (1.14 MiB) Viewed 2585 times
woof
Round Winner

Post by woof »

Sorry bud, even 10 bucks a year is pushing it...but 10 bucks a month? Way too much. This league won't succeed if nobody joins...and I don't see anybody joining if you don't fix the money issue.
ElmosWorld
Match Winner

Post by ElmosWorld »

If people were willing to pay $10/month to play this game, we would already have reliable servers for tournaments.
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

I didnt make this thread to start a discussion. I will go ahead with this
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

Which is of course your call.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

orion wrote:I didnt make this thread to start a discussion. I will go ahead with this
Understandable, but you didnt even have a discussion about a monthly fee before you announced the monthly tournaments, if you were going to have a monthly fee shouldn't you of asked our community about it before and see how they felt about it?
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

orion wrote:I didnt make this thread to start a discussion. I will go ahead with this
Unfortunately, you decided to use a Forum as the place to make your announcement. By definition, a forum is designed to promote discussion. Given the controversial nature of what you are doing, discussion and criticism were inevitable. You really should explain on your site that this is a monthly fee. None of us knew that until I asked. Any serious gamer is going to know that $10/mo USD = $120/year, and Xbox live, which they likely already pay for is between $60-$77/year. Personally, I would have to really question plunking down what is approximately double the price of Xbox live to play in some Armagetron Tournaments and get stats from that. I am being verbose about it to let you in on the thoughts of your potential customers, who are just saying simply "no" to you. It simply seems like a rather greedy business model.
Of course, you may get many people to try out the free month trial, the real question is gonna be how many people are gonna be willing to fork over the $10 (or $12) a month for this service.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

Gazelle wrote:
Understandable, but you didnt even have a discussion about a monthly fee before you announced the monthly tournaments, if you were going to have a monthly fee shouldn't you of asked our community about it before and see how they felt about it?
You mean, WEEKLY tournaments.

Usually the discussions on this forums have negative words. So I decided to go ahead and give you a trial period where you can test this service and enjoy the upcomming events. Make this for free, is impossible.

The last TST was around 2 years ago, the last WST was 10 months ago. I try give you something different
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

compguygene wrote:
Unfortunately, you decided to use a Forum as the place to make your announcement. By definition, a forum is designed to promote discussion. Given the controversial nature of what you are doing, discussion and criticism were inevitable. You really should explain on your site that this is a monthly fee. None of us knew that until I asked. Any serious gamer is going to know that $10/mo USD = $120/year, and Xbox live, which they likely already pay for is between $60-$77/year. Personally, I would have to really question plunking down what is approximately double the price of Xbox live to play in some Armagetron Tournaments and get stats from that. I am being verbose about it to let you in on the thoughts of your potential customers, who are just saying simply "no" to you. It simply seems like a rather greedy business model.
Of course, you may get many people to try out the free month trial, the real question is gonna be how many people are gonna be willing to fork over the $10 (or $12) a month for this service.
I meant, I wont keep discussing with you, do you play tournaments?

And, why do people play Xbox if they can play PS3 for free? Your point make no sence and im giving you a tournament, not just play the game online....
You arent just asking or advertising actually, you are trying to find problems on this. This kind of behavior is why Armagetron isnt "advanced" yet. Hope you have some skills to find positive changes.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

orion wrote:I meant, I wont keep discussing with you, do you play tournaments?

And, why do people play Xbox if they can play PS3 for free? Your point make no sence and im giving you a tournament, not just play the game online....
You arent just asking or advertising actually, you are trying to find problems on this. This kind of behavior is why Armagetron isnt "advanced" yet. Hope you have some skills to find positive changes.
He wasn't even being rude. And just because people realize that what you're asking is too much for simply hosting a tournament once a week, means that the community is holding the game back? No. If anyone deserves to be paid, it would be the dev team that works on all of this, gives pretty consistent updates, provides support, and probably more and in return, they ask for nothing but enough to keep the site running.

With that much money a month, there are plenty of other games you can play. And to think a paid tournament a month is worth twice as much as many other games is rediculous. I don't see many people being willing to pay monthly for the game, let alone a tournament.

And just trying to find problems? He was simply pointing out that your little system goes against Paypal's ToS, and if you're going to stick with it, you should find another way to do it. Paypal will notice it pretty quickly if you actually get people playing. They will call and ask for information when you start getting a bunch of payments that are small or alike. I've had it happen multiple times in the past, though I wasn't breaking the ToS with anything I was doing.
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

Its exactly like give server hosting service via Paypal. Btw, my discussion with Freegans stop now.
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Light »

Renting servers, much like shared web hosting, is not the same as tournaments held with hopes monetary gain.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

orion wrote: I meant, I wont keep discussing with you, do you play tournaments?

I do not often play in tournaments, but I have played in them in the past, which is completely irrelevant. I was speaking as someone that donates servers to tournaments. As such, I have been recognized as a valid voice in this context in the past. It is your right to completely ignore my voice and posts, no problem. As to me just "looking for problems", it required almost no looking or thought. To me, with what I have learned in over 3 years of donating servers and discussing the issues involved, I was pointing out the obvious, glaring problems with what you have started.
Positive changes? You seem to imply I only criticize without offering positive change?
I started the topic of a kickstarter to fund development, something that I am going to bump when I get a better idea of the details.
Behind the scenes, I am working with a few others to bring more tournaments around....not that you want the competition, I am sure you don't.
If I had not provided all the servers for the CTF Brawl for the first year or so, there would be no CTF Brawl today. Happily, others are providing the needed servers.
For almost 2 and 1/2 years had I not consistently provided American, and sometimes European Ladle servers, the Ladle would have suffered.
I have supported and helped with the startup of 4 or 5 tournaments in my time.
I don't do this for monetary gain, or to win some popularity contest, I just love to play the game. I also know that with more tournaments, more people play in the servers that I love to play in. For similar reasons, an army of volunteers, over the years have done much more than I have to write code, create tournaments, create and host servers, and so on. The game is evolving and growing. Maybe things are a little stale right now, but that will change.
I can see that you are very concerned that this may not work out for you. All I am trying to do is to point out what appear to be poor choices with your business model so that you can adjust them before it fails.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Soul
Match Winner

Post by Soul »

Orion. Let me get this straight. You're expecting people to pay $10/$12 a month just to play in your tournaments which are no different than any current free and successful ones we already have? On top of that, not even paying for and hosting the servers yourself?? What have you done that others haven't that earns you a profit?

nothx