Armagetron Competitor's Club.

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Self_Destructo
Round Winner

Armagetron Competitor's Club.

Post by Self_Destructo »

Me and deja_vu have started the Armagetron Competitor's Club. Our goal is to find the best player in tron. We will use the match play method to do this. There will also be Tournament's and all kinds of fun games.

Server Style Configs:
--Breakfast
--MicroBusCity
--Classic
--Nixda

We will also organize Clan Tournaments and Clan Rankings.

Come join and have some fun!

Self_Destructo :D

Edit: For all those skeptics: Please do not be harsh about this. It is a game and the main thing is to have some fun. I think this is an interesting way to have it. Maybe a few of you "be all or none" of tron need to be a little more open minded about things and stop looking at other's ideas in such a bad way. And seriously, if you take the game that serious then you need to get a life. Of a fact, I advertised the game here just because I wanted the good players to play. And BTW, who asked your opinion when I posted this?
Last edited by Self_Destructo on Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard.... Hyperbole/IMO of course.

1. How could that be accurate?
2. Why would anyone care?
Self_Destructo
Round Winner

Post by Self_Destructo »

1. The match play method is very much indeed accurate. That how they find the best golfer on the golf course, etc.
2. The main thing is have fun. But why do you not care? O.o
3. If you don't care then don't start it.
Last edited by Self_Destructo on Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

What Fonkay said.

To add, comparing how someone did on MBC to how someone else did on BiH is like comparing a football team from the OVC to an NFL team, respectively.

And then we get into some of the same issues that were being debated elsewhere about having some kind of global ladder that would include all servers.

And again, who cares?
Self_Destructo
Round Winner

Post by Self_Destructo »

Oscilloscope wrote: And again, who cares?
You two don't. And 90% of the people in here would just look over the post if they didn't care. And I have talked to alot of people about it and only a few are sceptical. Aan so, if they want to be that way they can be, but that is no use to personnally attack me just because you like to.

And as far as the global ladder, that would not find the best player in tron due to the fact of time. I don't have all that much time to play tron. (4 matches last month, that's all) And the best player might be like me, no time.

But like I said. If you don't care then have the integrity to do like all the rest of the people in here and look over this post.
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

There's no "best player" in arma. There's an elite, the high ranked players. There's no way finding out who's best cus of lag, and type of server. Just like in soccer, you only have a bunch of best playeres and you can't determine who's the best.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Sabarai wrote:There's no "best player" in arma. There's an elite, the high ranked players. There's no way finding out who's best cus of lag, and type of server. Just like in soccer, you only have a bunch of best playeres and you can't determine who's the best.
The best player will be immune to lag, rather than use it as a crutch to explain why he's not such a good player. Same way the best football players can play their best on both real and fake grass, in the rain, snow, freezing weather, or burning up at 110 degrees.

I'm with Oscilloscope that Breakfast players can't be compared to MBC players because of scoring. Even in pro golf and other sports the scoring is kept consistent for comparisons, and when it's not consistent (or there are other variations, such as the difference between the National League and the American League in baseball), there needs to be a way to balance it.

I further think that the best player should be determined off the ladder, ideally, and that the ladder itself should be addressed to do it. I don't really care if your ladder position suffers because you don't play often enough. If the ladder was perfect, that wouldn't be an issue. Failing that, then if you want to make your name as the best player, you'll either need to play more during that time, or not worry about it. (edit: I'd like to point out that after returning from what, a 3 month absence? chills came back and shot to the top of the ladder, and last I checked was maintaining his position)

If you'd like to run a tournament, then there are certainly ways to go about it. I'm willing to make available a Breakfast server for a tournament, but I'd like to see how it would look before committing myself to it.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
DrJoeTr0n
"On a Roll. Paper wise."

Post by DrJoeTr0n »

See, I this really isnt needed at all. If you have played this game long enough you know who are the best players.
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

It matters for soccer players if the play at home or in where-ever-stan... That's like lag...
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Lucifer wrote:The best player will be immune to lag, rather than use it as a crutch to explain why he's not such a good player.
I'm pretty much immune to constant lag of incoming data. But what if you stop receiving data for a sec? Or if your own turns can't reliably reach the server?
Lucifer wrote:I further think that the best player should be determined off the ladder, ideally, and that the ladder itself should be addressed to do it. I don't really care if your ladder position suffers because you don't play often enough.
Only rounds/matches are seriously and permanently affected by that.

And I don't think the ladder, as it is now, is suitable. Basically all it does is give you points when you win a round, or take some away if you don't.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

So, its kinda like "Armagetron HOT or NOT"?

Blade Runner: (picture of blue bike hugging rim wall) Rate: 1..10
market junkie: (picture of mj taunting people) Rate: 1..10

Are you HOT or NOT?
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

SD.. no one personally attacked you. I just think the idea itself it pointless, for the reasons everyone else has stated.
It's impossible to tell who is "the best". Even in the perfect world where everyone would agree on one server, and only play there, everyone has a bad day. Everyone's finger slips and hits the wrong key every once and a while.
Also, The "who cares" statement was directed toward who's the best player. What does it matter who is the best? What would anyone do with that information besides gloat? I know there are people who are plenty better than I am, and I'll kick their butt now and again because they make a mistake.

*blah blah blah*
I could go on forever....
DrJoeTr0n
"On a Roll. Paper wise."

Post by DrJoeTr0n »

Selecus I would say was probably the best. Before he retired.
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

The point is the ideas stupid... :) no one on the forum likes the idea it seems like so why carry on the argument? O_O
Damn, it sure has been a while!
Freewheelin'56
Round Winner

Post by Freewheelin'56 »

Just play the game and have fun. I don't care who's the best. Just play. :D
Freewheelin'58 I want Goshdarn back!!
Great Googly Moogly