Sumo league - discussion, interest, brainstorming

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

orion
Match Winner

Re: Sumo league - discussion, interest, brainstorming

Post by orion »

ElmosWorld wrote:How do you defend points?
Playing next year the same tournament and getting at same place you did.
Example: If you won 250 points on Ladle May 2012, but in Ladle May 2013 you loss in the final you loss a total of 150 points.
Zenith wrote:Great idea Orion. If servers aren't an issue, I'm 100% with your idea.
Well I guess this should not be an issue, all tournaments are programmed and as Gaz said, I think this could define the best players on fortress and sumo. This could be a great improvement to arma community in my opinion
Overrated
Match Winner

Post by Overrated »

I guess my only complaint is that I don't see that much value in 1v1 play to be worth 2000 points. Not as enteraining imo.

It also becomes complicated when you put forth subs in ladle/bowl play. How do you determine if a player only plays in the finals or is on the roster but didnt play at all? Also, how do you determine the quality of that person's points? A player could play absolutely terrible and earn the same amount of points as a person who literally carried their team on their back.

And thinking about it, it would be nice if it was more than just fort/sumo. Maybe toss in Brawl and DF, etc tourneys as well. Would seem fair and helps deem the best all around players.

Other than that I like the idea.
BRAWL dead. RIP.

Fort is like a box of knives, you never know when you're going to be cut.
RoterBaron1337
Core Dumper

Post by RoterBaron1337 »

Man that idea is freakin' great!!
Kappa
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

Overrated wrote:I guess my only complaint is that I don't see that much value in 1v1 play to be worth 2000 points. Not as enteraining imo.

It also becomes complicated when you put forth subs in ladle/bowl play. How do you determine if a player only plays in the finals or is on the roster but didnt play at all? Also, how do you determine the quality of that person's points? A player could play absolutely terrible and earn the same amount of points as a person who literally carried their team on their back.

And thinking about it, it would be nice if it was more than just fort/sumo. Maybe toss in Brawl and DF, etc tourneys as well. Would seem fair and helps deem the best all around players.

Other than that I like the idea.
Well as i said the points could be fixed, i gave 2k points for 1v1 because its a solo victory, less points to ladle because its played every month and because what you said and more points for bowl because its played once a year. In my opinión a player should play atleast one match for get the points on the ladle/bowl/wst, i can guarantee you only the BEST players will be at top of the ranking.

About ctf and df, you know i play ctf but fort/sumo community and ctf/df community are almost totally separate. If the ranking goes well then we could give a try on a separate Rank for ctf and df

About players who are carried or play bad, thats why i think to give more points to tournaments who are played with less players in a team 1v1 then tst then wst then ladle ((i forgot to add sumo bar, i think you would like to play).
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

If the community support the idea we could start this on next ladle and make season June 2013 to June 2014, etc, etc.
What we need?

Server owners who provide servers for each tournament programmed, as usual.
Make the calendar
Make a Little web page ( i think concord is good at this) and take scores from results then keep rankings update.

I dont think its too much work just some compromise
Shock
Core Dumper

Post by Shock »

Lovely idea, Orion.
orion wrote:
Dreadlord won: 1v1 sumo january, ladle september, ladle november, got in semis ladle december, got 2nd on wst may = 2800 points.
Dreadlord now have to defend these points or he will loss it.

I think its a good idea to keep players motivated on play any tournament, the points could be fixed.

Any doubts?
This is a minor part that seems strange. I think a rating system like this totally works to keep some playing, but there could also be something a bit more tempting to gain high points! i.e. use it to determine eligibility for some tourney, dgm fort lessons, etc.
bilbo baggins
Round Winner

Post by bilbo baggins »

if a player plays shit in a ladle and the team still ends up winning, surely that means that the player would be unlikely to play the next ladle, i think this would counteract your points about people being carried on teams
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

orion wrote:If the community support the idea we could start this on next ladle and make season June 2013 to June 2014, etc, etc.
No way, we need to discuss this for a year first. And then, in a year, when we implement the system, we'll argue about what we discussed a year ago. That's how we do it around here.
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

bilbo baggins wrote:if a player plays shit in a ladle and the team still ends up winning, surely that means that the player would be unlikely to play the next ladle, i think this would counteract your points about people being carried on teams
if a team win the ladle im sure to tell you, that player didnt play THAT BAD! anyway thats why the ladle should be the less ranked tournament.
Titanoboa wrote:
orion wrote:If the community support the idea we could start this on next ladle and make season June 2013 to June 2014, etc, etc.
No way, we need to discuss this for a year first. And then, in a year, when we implement the system, we'll argue about what we discussed a year ago. That's how we do it around here.
haha, hope no this time.
Concord

Post by Concord »

there's a 1v1 server up now, but I think it's temporary.

thank Phoenix
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

Thanks Pheonix!!

Your message contains 16 characters.
Concord

Post by Concord »

sumobar is now part of it too. matches should be played in the SBT server that's still up. I think it's CT sto. If there are any admins who want to put a US version up, just rinclude Cody's sbt settings (http://1v1sb.99k.org/resource/SumoSBT.cfg).

Bar results count similarly to 1v1 for the ranking. 1v1 is elo. The match has base weight 1.
Bar just uses the average ranking of the other 7 opponents and gives a weight score of 1 to the winner, 0.75 to second, 0.5 to third, 0.25 to fourth. Fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth have corresponding negative values.
Concord

Post by Concord »

Hall has graciously set up a US 1v1 server
Concord

Post by Concord »

Tour rankings now include war sumo matches.
Concord

Post by Concord »

looking for 1-2 co-web admins to add some transparency. If you're interested and know your mysql basics, PM me.