Fortress & Sumo United (FSU)

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Pr3
Round Winner

Fortress & Sumo United (FSU)

Post by Pr3 »

As many of you know, there have been many incidents in recent past that have brought shame and a certain level of unfairness to the game we all love. These acts include but are not limited to the rumored deletion of a team's forums, the recruitment of players who already belong to a clan, and various acts of unsportsmanlike conduct during the ladle. These acts have taken place without any disciplinary action placed on those who committed them. And they will continue to happen unless we put into place rules and punishments that can be agreed upon and enforced by the entire community. Therefore, I propose we form Fortress & Sumo United (FSU). The FSU is a committee made up of one representative from each clan/team. They will create rules and determine, by majority vote, any and all disciplinary action to counter further malicious acts within our community. What are your thoughts on forming such a committee and what are the possible disciplinary actions you'd suggest?
Gazelle
Match Winner

Re: Fortress & Sumo United (FSU)

Post by Gazelle »

I think it sounds like a fantastic idea, they are many problems between clans etc.. Especially those that play Fort/sumo..
Although i dislike the tags FSU, as im a Miami Hurricane fan.. Rivals :D only college football/basketball fans would get this.
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

The problem with this is highlighted in your closing sentence. There is very little you can do to punish people in a game like this aside from "shunning" them (which naturally happens when people behave like dicks). It really isn't hard to get around IP bans and the like.
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

ppotter wrote:There is very little you can do to punish people in a game like this aside from "shunning" them (which naturally happens when people behave like dicks
The problem is that we do not actually do this. I don't think any quasi-legal structure is necessary, but I think we all should be a bit more gutsy and take a stand when people act out. No better example comes to mind than Baylife. Those players violated the trust of the community and no one seemed to care. It's that type of "meh whatever" reaction that enables jerks to do whatever they want.

And for those who think this isn't a problem, this lack of civility is the reason we can't have nice things.
Flex
Round Winner

Post by Flex »

There is a lot you can do.

Call it an alliance or united, whatever. But the first thing you can do is all agree that if a certain player is banished / "shunned" no clan or team within this entity is allowed to recruit that player, even if he's the greatest player alive. Anyone who cares about their reputation will bother not to do some stupid things that some players get away with. Hide behind names or IP's, but it's not going to save you.

Don't recruit members from each other and that specifically means offering invites.

If a clan or team is boycotted, no clan or team should scrim with them at any point.

If something is hurting the community, it can be voted to be boycotted. Such as pickup right now has destroyed the concept of looking at a server browser and finding a Fortress game or joining an empty Fortress server. Nobody even begins to join an empty server due to rather it's more fun to surf youtube and add up on pickup.

Clans can agree to some level of membership, like being binded to not recruit from clans, not recruit from players, but not taking part in votes to boycott things, etc.

I can go on. There is a lot you can do, but tbh all that is needed is dialogue between clans and also conditions can be set for each clans separately depending on their friendship.
DaGarBBaGeMAN
Core Dumper

Post by DaGarBBaGeMAN »

I agree with Pr3 here; this sort of a thing is long overdue.
Image -made by az95

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Since this is the only online game I play, I am ignorant of what successful systems currently exist in other games. Does anyone have an example of a game/committee/system where a similar effort had been made and proven?
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

I think in terms of punishment, it's fair play enough to ban a team from a ladle or players from specific matches, much like the football authorities do (soccer to amerinabs).
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

I agree with you completely pr3. I propose we take it to a whole NEW level. Screw FSU, we need tron police. If someone speaks out about anyone else who is in charge, we should terminate their ability to play tron, maybe include it in the source code, I don't know the specifics of it.
woof
Round Winner

Post by woof »

Mkay1 wrote:I agree with you completely pr3. I propose we take it to a whole NEW level. Screw FSU, we need tron police. If someone speaks out about anyone else who is in charge, we should terminate their ability to play tron, maybe include it in the source code, I don't know the specifics of it.
LOL
J Dawg
Round Winner

Post by J Dawg »

Flex wrote:There is a lot you can do.

Call it an alliance or united, whatever. But the first thing you can do is all agree that if a certain player is banished / "shunned" no clan or team within this entity is allowed to recruit that player, even if he's the greatest player alive. Anyone who cares about their reputation will bother not to do some stupid things that some players get away with. Hide behind names or IP's, but it's not going to save you.

Don't recruit members from each other and that specifically means offering invites.

If a clan or team is boycotted, no clan or team should scrim with them at any point.

If something is hurting the community, it can be voted to be boycotted. Such as pickup right now has destroyed the concept of looking at a server browser and finding a Fortress game or joining an empty Fortress server. Nobody even begins to join an empty server due to rather it's more fun to surf youtube and add up on pickup.

Clans can agree to some level of membership, like being binded to not recruit from clans, not recruit from players, but not taking part in votes to boycott things, etc.

I can go on. There is a lot you can do, but tbh all that is needed is dialogue between clans and also conditions can be set for each clans separately depending on their friendship.
Flex your idea works to a point. I do not like the idea of banning players of a clan or team. As YOU know as well as us all, fortress is dissolving slowly. It is on the rise again but slowly. Outcasting violaters could only hurt us.

I do agree about the membership and recruitment of other players. But at the same time, we as a unit cannot change a persons loyalty. We have had clans in the past that had members like that but we cannot have a single "Banned clan."

I REALLY agree with you about pickups. I hate pickup. The concept was for good intentions, but I realize that pickup has destroyed our way of fortress. new fortress players in pickup get ignored due to there ability of play. veteran tron players Just don't deal with new players, I say we should EMBRACE these new players and get rid of pickup. Regular fortress was so popular, I loved it and it was a great way to make inexperienced players better ( thats how I got better, probly a lot of older members before pickup learned through regular fort) Now, pickup is for experienced players, and even still people bitch and complain (I can say I do too) about everything. whether it be servers, unbalanced teams, etc. I think if we get rid of pickup fortress will truly be revitalized.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

Please stop including pickup in this, it has nothing to do with anything.

As for the topic, if honest and unbiased people are chosen for the committee then this is gonna work. They don't neccesarily have to be the leader of said clans/teams (nobody wants Brok3n/Soul in that position) but the most honest and respected individuals in the clan/team. Not sure how this will be concluded, though.
Bytes
Round Winner

Post by Bytes »

... by the clan leaders? :roll:
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

Bytes wrote:... by the clan leaders? :roll:
:roll: :roll: :roll: Hilarious, thanks for the contribution.

Btw, what would happen if people don't get along? Sine and Flex head butts a lot, but I can see them both in that committee. Some differences would have to be set aside, haha.
PyrrhicVictory
Average Program

Post by PyrrhicVictory »

Vogue wrote:Please stop including pickup in this, it has nothing to do with anything.

As for the topic, if honest and unbiased people are chosen for the committee then this is gonna work. They don't neccesarily have to be the leader of said clans/teams (nobody wants Brok3n/Soul in that position) but the most honest and respected individuals in the clan/team. Not sure how this will be concluded, though.
I guess the most logical thing to do would be a vote within each clan.. Lately, lots of people weren't happy with the way they're represented by the leaders. This would give them a chance to have elect a voice for the clan they consider capable of handling this responsibility.
The clan should also have the power to re-elect if the current representative does not act according to its clan.
I'm aware of the fact that this may lead to clan-internal problems. However, clans don't manage to fulfill such task might not be much of a loss anyways.
Furthermore, a member of the comitee should have the power to start a kick-poll against another member. If 3/4 (or less/more) are in favour of doing so, the affected clan has to elect a new representative
Image You know where you'll find me.