Sumobar Scoring Adjustments - Reward Aggressive Play?

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Should the scoring in sumobar be adjusted to give more points for kills and/or less for surviving?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 53

Core Dumper

Sumobar Scoring Adjustments - Reward Aggressive Play?

Post by 0000 »

If there is enough interest (30-40% or more), we will run a trial week in sky with new settings.
Cody
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Sumobar Scoring Adjustments - Reward Aggressive Play?

Post by Cody »

Dernit zero! lol i'm in the mist of writing up a trial tournament for a new scoring system, but this is cool too. Im still planning on doing a trial tournament and i hope you participate in it :D
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

So you get more points for dying early? No thanks. I don't fully disagree however, if you are for lowering the score you get for winning a round. You should get more points for kills, if that's what you mean by "being aggressive"
Core Dumper

Post by 0000 »

There will be no points for "dying early". Most likely, if there is a change, it will be simply extra points for a kill. There may also be adjustments made to the points for conquering zones.

If you support a change to promote an attacking style, you should vote yes. If you like the fact that mazing and staying alive are of premium importance, you should probably vote no.

Cody, I'm not trying to steal your thunder. I just wanted to get public opinion on the matter as I have been getting mixed messages. If this is something that sumo players want, then public sumo needs to change as well as tournament play.
breeze
Average Program

Post by breeze »

I voted no. If sumo is more or less a spin-off of fortress, then being the last one alive is the most important thing. Players who do get core dumps are rewarded with some points (30); which I feel like is fair, but they are also rewarded as there is one less player to compete against and take up their space. In my opinion the scoring is just fine.
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

I voted no 'cause if it ain't broken, don't fix it.
Kijutsu
Match Winner

Post by Kijutsu »

no

infact, you should make an exact replica of emphas and allow more than 8 to play
dreadlord
Match Winner

Post by dreadlord »

Often, people get the kill who didn't kill that player at all, because Tron is just a game without a kind of judge or something who decides whether that player really deserves the kill or not.

Apart from that,
Fippmam wrote:I voted no 'cause if it ain't broken, don't fix it.
Core Dumper

Post by 0000 »

Kijutsu wrote:no

infact, you should make an exact replica of emphas and allow more than 8 to play
Im considering making it two zones of 8. How does that sound?
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

I will warn you, several of us have extensively tested >12 people in a sumo server. At 12 people you do start to see just a little bit of lag and slides, at 13 it gets bad. Feel free to try it, just watch carefully when you hit 12 and beyond.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Core Dumper

Post by 0000 »

How about an 8-person zone with a 4-person "overflow"? I prefer to keep the 8-person circle style rather than give some spawn points advantages over others.
Kijutsu
Match Winner

Post by Kijutsu »

0000 wrote:
Kijutsu wrote:no

Im considering making it two zones of 8. How does that sound?
well, kind of not want i want to achieve

emphas feels like the zone shrinks faster and there are more people inside, it requires more skill to win there, tronzero sumobar feels like easymode compared to that.. possibly due to the zone and max. people allowed in the zone
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

I agree with dreadlord. Arma's method to determine who 'got the kill' isn't always accurate enough, and sometimes it's even hard to judge from a human perspective. Instead, you could tone down the points rewarded for staying alive the whole time. An example of this would be to change the zone points to a constant amount per player receiving those points, rather than a constant divided by the number of people it's spread out over. (aka you always get some constant of points for a collapsing zone, rather than a constant divided by the number of people getting those points).
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

PokeMaster wrote:I agree with dreadlord. Arma's method to determine who 'got the kill' isn't always accurate enough, and sometimes it's even hard to judge from a human perspective. Instead, you could tone down the points rewarded for staying alive the whole time. An example of this would be to change the zone points to a constant amount per player receiving those points, rather than a constant divided by the number of people it's spread out over. (aka you always get some constant of points for a collapsing zone, rather than a constant divided by the number of people getting those points).
Yea but then the advantage gained (in the form of extra zone points) for being one of the last people alive, becomes non existent.
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

no points, the participants and any spectators that might be around vote on a winner after ten rounds.