Sumo Bar Tournament Possible New Settings feedback

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Cody
Shutout Match Winner

Sumo Bar Tournament Possible New Settings feedback

Post by Cody »

After 5 SBT's I think its time to visit the idea on how to improve the scoring of the tournament and how its played out.

If you have any suggestions or feedback, post a reply!

I'm thinking about introducing

Code: Select all

SCORE_SURVIVE 60/120/180/240/300/360/420/480
And what this does is reward the player who is alive at the very end of the round, so surviving to the very last will now be even MORE rewarding. Of course we would have to agree what amount of points should be awarded.

LIMIT_ROUNDS
from 18 to 15 or raise the amount of rounds to 20 or is it just fine how it is?
or should we get rid of LIMIT_ROUNDS and replace it with LIMIT_TIME? that way we just set the time and at the end of the time, whoever is in top 4 advances?

or should we use the popular

LIMIT_SCORE
?

Maybe we could do LIMIT_SCORE and whoever gets 1 match under their belt advances(so 4 people would have to win a match 1 time)

Thoughts are welcome and of course suggestions you may have.

EDIT: What if we did a KING OF THE HILL type Sumo Bar?

The person who comes in last, specs and this cycle keeps repeating til there are only 4 people left? and they advance

Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Sumo Bar Tournament Possible New Settings feedback

Post by Clutch »

I vote you only get votes for killing people :done:
Boxed

Venijn
Round Winner

Post by Venijn »

I don't think you should lose points for committing suicide, especially when more often than not, it should be classed as someone's kill.
Click. Image

Core Dumper

Post by 0000 »

I like it how it is. The best players usually rise to the top which is what we want. Fiddling with the rounds seems fine if you want to make it an even number. You aren't significantly changing the sample size. I dont like the idea of playing a number of short matches instead of one long one as it makes luck more of a factor.

vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Disclaimer: For the most part of this post I'm just telling about stuff which could be considered, not about what you should do with the tourney. My opinion is: more action, less camping. That's all. The other fancy stuff may work or may fail.

Cody wrote:I'm thinking about introducing

SCORE_SURVIVE 60/120/180/240/300/360/420/480
No. It is already a camper tourney, at least the semis and finals. Don't take us the last chance to see some action. Would you like a real-life sumo consisting of 2 fat guys just sitting there and wait till the other one has to leave to go to the toilet?
If you want to be extreme, be with clutch and only give points for kills instead of making camping even more appealing.
The suicide negative points can be even seen as a mechanism against campers; essentially giving everyone 30p advantage over you instead of just one killer who really deserved it. So no, I'm against removing that. In my opinion it'd be nice to even have the timeout lower so instead of 10 seconds (is it that?) of camping maybe 2-4 seconds can be enough to trigger it.
Maybe even increase the kill score a bit? 40-45 instead of 30?
Or break down the score numbers and give e.g 12 points per zone and 8 for a kill?

A score limit would shorten opening rounds and make finals longer. While this can be an advantage tourney-wise it also lessens the fun for the guys who can just play a 10 minutes match instead of a 40 minutes final.
Double elimination anyone, with half matches (a.k.a 9 rounds) except finals (18 there)?
Or let the fastest finishers pass a whole round? (I remember reading about something like that, I think it was Z-man)
Round limit and Time limit is essentially the same thing in sumo, considering the zone has collapsed after max. X seconds. Round limit is more reliable so in my opinion keep it that. If it's 13 or 15 or 20 rounds doesn't really matter though.

Kijutsu
Match Winner

Post by Kijutsu »

I don't agree with vov at all, sumo is and will always be camping. Most people like it that way, too. Go play fort or host your own tourney/server with those settings if you want kill-only playstyle.

vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Kijutsu wrote:host your own tourney/server with those settings if you want kill-only playstyle.
I did run a sumo server in the past which was kill-only playstyle on the highest possible level. It featured respawns, onslaught style, as well as a limit below which a zone could not shrink*. People liked it very much because it was fun to play. Yes, it worked well. Yes, it is messy thus it was called Chaos Sumo, maybe someone remembers it. No, you wouldn't like it because it involves no camping at all. Go host a high rubber single player game/tourney if you like camping ;)

* Shame I kinda lost the settings and the script to it...

Gaz
Round Winner

Post by Gaz »

Actually i have to disagree, i won sbt 3 by being agressive.. i didnt camp much.. so therefore vov part of your statement is wrong ;)

vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

That was #3, this one was >80% camping ^^

It's just a matter of taste if you prefer sumo LMS or sumo FFA, and I just like the FFA more :P

Cronix
Match Winner

Post by Cronix »

I kinda have to agree with liz once here.

I know that attacking leads to more action, but you mostly only attack to get more space to camp in... in the end it is all a matter of who is able to use his/her space the best
Signature? wtf...

Gaz
Round Winner

Post by Gaz »

Cronix wrote:I kinda have to agree with liz once here.

I know that attacking leads to more action, but you mostly only attack to get more space to camp in... in the end it is all a matter of who is able to use his/her space the best
+1

lonewolf
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by lonewolf »

I prefer it remain the same.
I didn't choose the thug life, thug life chose me - Abraham Lincoln

Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Uhh, for the record it wasn't a serious proposal :? Although it would make sumo over 9000 times more fun
Boxed

Zenith
Average Program

Post by Zenith »

0000 wrote:I like it how it is. The best players usually rise to the top which is what we want. Fiddling with the rounds seems fine if you want to make it an even number. You aren't significantly changing the sample size. I dont like the idea of playing a number of short matches instead of one long one as it makes luck more of a factor.
I have to agree with everything Zero here. I like the way it has been played. Also, please don't change this to a KOFT SBT. If people agree to doing that, then you should make it a different tournament.

Cody
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Cody »

I'm going to add

SCORE_SURVIVE #(Points you get for being the last one alive)
For SBT6, see how it goes.

how do you get the extra # points? all you have to do is be the last one alive

So if you dump the last person and then you crash into a wall, you will not get the # points.

Next I might fiddle with

SCORE_KILL #(Points you get for dumping someone)
&

FORTRESS_CONQUERED_SCORE(Points you get for conquering a zone)
What would u guys prefer to see done with those?