Ladle 59 Date

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Ladle 59 Date

Post by Titanoboa »

I think what it comes down to is

fear of ladle becoming inconsistent & ladle as a whole losing its purpose
vs.
fear of a bunch of people missing out, & this particular ladle losing its purpose

I'd side with sine and say the ladle shouldn't be moved for anything (except New Year's ofcourse ;) )
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

I don't think there is any fear of anything, just a few players being stubborn

I think the poll should give us an indication of how many people are planning to miss ladle for the football. It's not like it's 5-6 of us planning to watch the final. As I said in my previous post, SP can often get 10-14 available for a ladle - we currently only have 4 available to play

What are we going to do with this poll? As I write, there are 13 players planning to watch the football over ladle, and it was only posted this morning. This also doesn't include people who aren't planning to watch it, but feel it should be moved to the following week (such as concord, poke, plus others - correct me if I'm wrong)

How many not playing is significant enough of a number for us to move it?
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

Sorry for the double post, but gaaah please..

It's not a little 'regional event', it's the second biggest footballing competition in the world, football being the most played and watched sport in the world

There are very few events that get as much global viewing, and fewer still that fall on Sundays, and even fewer still that fall on the first Sunday of the month. Moving this will not open ladle up to it's date being changed willy-nilly like some of the doom and gloom forecasts being broadcast, don't be ridiculous

On a side note, I think it's worth noting that there are no characters on here whose input is more or less valuable than anyone elses. So perhaps if a substantial enough number of people are planning to watch the football, we should vote on whether it gets moved or not
Gaz
Round Winner

Post by Gaz »

[/quote]I'll have fun playing League instead.[/quote]

+1

If there is no ladle.. im right there with ya bud.
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

Started another poll for comparison purposes. I should have started them at the same time, but I wasn't expecting such a large response on the first one. If you know somebody who can't play on either the 1st or the 8th, encourage them to go vote. Really, we're just comparing "Yes" votes between the two polls.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
pike
Round Winner

Post by pike »

If the final is Germany vs Spain I doubt you'll see (m)any Eurotronners playing Ladle on July 1st. Not that I care much, but most teams have both Euro and US players and it'll be hard for them to get 6+ players on this day.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

þsy wrote:As I write, there are 13 players planning to watch the football over ladle, and it was only posted this morning...How many not playing is significant enough of a number for us to move it?
13? That's all? You know that's about 12% of Ladle participants, right? You want the majority (88%) to move the date because 13 people want to watch football? Are you insane?

Why do you care? If Football is so important, just watch football. Play Ladle next month. No one will miss you.
Venijn
Round Winner

Post by Venijn »

sinewav wrote:
þsy wrote:As I write, there are 13 players planning to watch the football over ladle, and it was only posted this morning...How many not playing is significant enough of a number for us to move it?
13? That's all? You know that's about 12% of Ladle participants, right? You want the majority (88%) to move the date because 13 people want to watch football? Are you insane?

Why do you care? If Football is so important, just watch football. Play Ladle next month. No one will miss you.
Of course, 100% Ladle players use these forums... :roll:
Click. Image
zat
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by zat »

sinewav wrote:

I think you overread one of the important points in his post ;)
Don't misunderstand me I don't really care about it since I can't play mostlikely at both dates, but isn't it a bit sad to see about half of the community not beeing able to take part in an event they would like to?
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

sinewav wrote:Why do you care? If Football is so important, just watch football. Play Ladle next month. No one will miss you.
False; I'll miss them, and I bet others would too. The quality of a ladle is lowered when less people show up. Explain how a 20 person ladle is as good as a 100 person ladle, assuming the quality of teams averages out for both sets. I know that's a huge exaggeration, but it's the same point. A 15% smaller attendance will far from ruin a ladle, but at the same time, the sacrifice to get most of that 15% back is inconsequential by comparison. It's not like this is the biggest threat the ladle has faced, but it's just basic logic to choose the lesser of two evils. Can you explain how changing the date is worse than excluding* 15% (or whatever percentage it turns out to be) of participants?

*Yes, obviously choosing to do something else is each individual's choice, but we as a community have the power to let those people participate in both that other personally important activity AND the ladle.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Venijn
Round Winner

Post by Venijn »

Who decides anyway?

Why don't we get rid of these statistical polls, and have a real one, with us acting on the result?

In your opinion, ladle should be

A. on the 1st July.
B. On the 8th July.
Click. Image
Overrated
Match Winner

Post by Overrated »

The only person who has a legitimate excuse for having ladle moved is Clutch. The rest is a bunch of nonsense and ladle shouldn't be moved for a sporting event, regardless of it's popularity. Holiday = celebration, sporting event = fandom. You are celebrating a sporting event, but it doesn't have what a holiday represents imo.

On that note, I'm not going to not attend the ladle in either circumstance (unless I have to work), since I just want to play. I just don't want this being a potential issue in the future. ie, in the future, if the world cup happens to fall on the same day, then is this going to cause an issue? How flexible are we going to actually be? If these things are going to be problems why don't we just move Ladle to Saturdays, or the 2nd or 3rd Sunday in each month.* Fixes most issues, especially since then July 4th is out of the way, as is January 1st, and the Super Bowl (which for some people, they're more than likely to work (me and acid), or have all day parties). I disagree with moving the ladle in general, and to completely open it up for a potential may cause issues in the future.

*I don't think we should move the day the ladle occurs, it just offers more convenience for holidays/sporting events that I can think of atm.
BRAWL dead. RIP.

Fort is like a box of knives, you never know when you're going to be cut.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Holy shit you guys are insane. Do you see what you are doing? In a matter of a few posts it went from a very small 13 people missing Ladle, to "nearly half" to a "20 person Ladle." If you aren't willing to be sensible, then there is no hope. Talk about politicking. :roll:

Do whatever you want. Now that I think of it, I don't really care because I'm busy on the weekends anyway. Have fun.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Venijn wrote:Why don't we get rid of these statistical polls [...] ?
To make informed decisions, not throw FUD left and right.
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

Haha sine, are you kidding me? The point I was making was that within only a few hours of the poll going up, 13 people had already said they're busy. If you look now, it's at 20, and hey - within a couple of days, it may have gone up even more

Further, as Venom pointed out, a large number of ladle participants don't check these forums, so we can't account for those people either. I don't want to speculate as to how many this total adds up to, but I think it will be reasonably substantial

I don't want to get side-tracked here though. The argument I'm making here isn't so much how many it will affect, but what is there to lose in moving it to the following week?

Loss of tradition? Inconvenience? Opens up the ladle to future abuse? (this last point is particularly absurd)

What is there to gain from moving it? (Significantly) higher levels of participation, and thus higher quality, at next to no cost for the rest of the community

This Thanksgiving example is interesting - what does this 'regional' holiday mean to me? Nothing, I don't celebrate it. But if ladle clashed with it, I'd happily put ladle off for a week, even if it meant I was busy the following Sunday. I fear that perhaps a lot of the US players in this discussion don't understand what football means to Europeans. It's not just another sport, but a social occasion to share with friends and family - especially if it's your team in the final!