Ladle 59 Date

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Ladle 59 Date

Post by sinewav »

As long as we are going to have a vote, we should take the next day or two to decide if there is anything else to vote on before we make the thread.

Let is all out.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Concord wrote:the super bowl is a bad comparison. it does not occur at the same time as the ladle.
Dodge. It's the principle that matters; Super Bowl was an example. Would Europeans agree to postponing the Ladle if the Super Bowl happened to fall on that Sunday?

So, I'm wondering, are you all going to reschedule the Ladle for the Olympics or the World Cup? Those events include everybodys. If you say "no," you thereby demonstrate just how self-centered you're all being.

And may I remind you all of the way many of the Europeans reacted when it was suggested that Ladle 35 be rescheduled on behalf of Independence Day and Canada Day? Cough cough. Those are official national holidays of significant meaning (even if some people defame them by the way the celebrate). You're treating a sport as thought it's meaningful and important. You can miss a Ladle, or you can miss a ball game; they're both matters of fun, not reverence. Missing neither will kill you, and the event you miss won't suffer, near or long term. It's one game. Get a grip, and get over your collective sense of entitlement.
Venijn
Round Winner

Post by Venijn »

Phytotron wrote:
Concord wrote:the super bowl is a bad comparison. it does not occur at the same time as the ladle.
Dodge. It's the principle that matters; Super Bowl was an example. Would Europeans agree to postponing the Ladle if the Super Bowl happened to fall on that Sunday?
Yes.

Also, the community that participated in Ladle 35 isn't the same community we have now.

Finally, this thread seems to have turned into Euros vs. It's not like that, people all over the world watch this, the same way people all over the world watch Superbowl, etc. There's no real need to split the community this way.
Click. Image
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Pft, get real, you would not, not by consensus. There would be majority Euro objection along with scattered America-bashing, over that example or any other special exemption that pertained primarily or exclusively to Americans.

"This isn't the same community." Sure it is.
Venijn wrote:There's no real need to split the community this way.
So stop demanding special treatment. You should know where that kind of thinking leads.

Ladle will survive without you kids, and you'll survive without it. It's one (meaningless) game that will be repeated in just another month; that's no time. Ladle has been going on ad nauseum for years. One month without you will not hurt it one trifle, and one month without it will not hurt you one trifle. If it really would be so damaging to any of your blessed little hearts or fragile psyches to miss one little video game, you need to stop playing video games. Now.
Venijn
Round Winner

Post by Venijn »

Phytotron wrote:Pft, get real, you would not, not by consensus. There would be majority Euro objection along with scattered America-bashing, over that example or any other special exemption that pertained primarily or exclusively to Americans.

"This isn't the same community." Sure it is.
Venijn wrote:There's no real need to split the community this way.
So stop demanding special treatment. You should know where that kind of thinking leads.

Ladle will survive without you kids, and you'll survive without it. It's one (meaningless) game that will be repeated in just another month; that's no time. Ladle has been going on ad nauseum for years. One month without you will not hurt it one trifle, and one month without it will not hurt you one trifle. If it really would be so damaging to any of your blessed little hearts or fragile psyches to miss one little video game, you need to stop playing video games. Now.
Once again, you call me a kid. You're a very good debater, why you resort to childish name-calling is beyond me.

For the record, I had no intention of entering a team in this ladle on either date, and firmly believe that the community would move Ladle for an American-based event, such as this one. With that in mind, I wouldn't consider it special treatment.
Click. Image
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Venijn wrote: firmly believe that the community would move Ladle for an American-based event, such as this one.
Except when the community actually didn't move it for an American-based event when it had the chance. Try again.
Cronix
Match Winner

Post by Cronix »

Lets either vote on this like we have to according to the Rules. So someone should set that up.

Or just play Ladle with like 25% participation on the 1st July.
I really do not mind missing it. 2 months without fort are acceptable I guess ^_^
Signature? wtf...
pickle
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by pickle »

Don't make the generalization that only Euro tronners will miss the ladle, US tronners also might miss the ladle (including me GO GERMANY!).

Anyways if I can make a :idea: :idea: :idea: suggestions :idea: :idea: :idea: , It has never been done before but if moving the ladle is causing a lot of uproar, whether its from individuals who are a stickler for tradition or for the ones that have obligations to the ones who got a day off just for that day, why don't we hold a Quote on Quote "Ladle.2" on the 8th. I told some people about it and they were actually interested and I was hoping to here what you all think if the idea.
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

"Yeah let's have 2 ladle winners in a month!" No.
Phytotron in the Ladle 35 Date Poll wrote:a lot of Americans do get together for the holiday, for cookouts and other events (festivals, concerts, fireworks), whatever. So, it would seem poor scheduling for a competition that would involve a number of Americans, just from a practical standpoint.
Not to say that you had a strong opinion back then, but I'm wondering why it has suddenly changed?
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
-*inS*-
Round Winner

Post by -*inS*- »

Am I the only one that finds it amusing that the two people with the most posts (poke and venijn) can't make either date. Huehuehue
pickle wrote: "Ladle.2" on the 8th.
And the winners of each half-ladle play eachother for the crown on an agreed upon time by each team. That would work.

I think that might be the fairest compromise atm. Everyone gets to play, and some people can play twice. In the future however we could possibly resurrect the quarterly date voting so that this lack of foresight doesn't happen again.

Note: this part is assuming the majority supports a date change
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

Nah, as somebody who cares about the stats being somewhat meaningful, I don't like that idea. But if it's got support, it deserves a vote.

And nah, I can make both dates, though I guess that's pretty much the same, heh.
Overrated
Match Winner

Post by Overrated »

Phytotron wrote:So, I'm wondering, are you all going to reschedule the Ladle for the Olympics or the World Cup? Those events include everybodys. If you say "no," you thereby demonstrate just how self-centered you're all being.

And may I remind you all of the way many of the Europeans reacted when it was suggested that Ladle 35 be rescheduled on behalf of Independence Day and Canada Day? Cough cough. Those are official national holidays of significant meaning (even if some people defame them by the way the celebrate). You're treating a sport as thought it's meaningful and important. You can miss a Ladle, or you can miss a ball game; they're both matters of fun, not reverence. Missing neither will kill you, and the event you miss won't suffer, near or long term. It's one game. Get a grip, and get over your collective sense of entitlement.
Phyto beat me to it. It's completely selfish to move the ladle a week just so you can watch your game of football. It's ignorant and rude to people who already make plans so they CAN make this on the first Sunday (ritsuka, insa). How can you not call yourself selfish when you're only looking at for the betterment of your own enjoyment, and not the people who make sure they get the first Sunday off to go to work.

My stance changes in the fact that I refuse to partake in the ladle if it's pushed back a week. I'm sure no one will miss me, but at least I'm staying true to my morals.
BRAWL dead. RIP.

Fort is like a box of knives, you never know when you're going to be cut.
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

Sine: Your example is terrible! A few people asked - perfectly reasonably - if it could be moved forward an hour (as, already pointed out, it doesn't actually clash with ladle), and two people said no. After that, no one seemed to mention it again..? Perhaps if you'd persisted with it, or there was more of a fear that it would have actually clashed (which that particularly lade, in the end, did not) then we may have decided otherwise

Phyto: As Venom said, yes - I would be happy to move it for Independence day, Superbowl etc. If it meant a significant number could play. What I think is important here, is that it's NOT the event that is important - it is the number that are busy as a result

So rather than being "self-centred" as Phyto so lovingly suggests; if a large number would skip ladle to watch the Olympics then I think we should postpone. If not, then we shouldn't

I think we need to press on with a team leader vote, this discussion as it often does, is getting a little fruitless and unnecessarily personal
Venijn
Round Winner

Post by Venijn »

sinewav wrote:
Venijn wrote: firmly believe that the community would move Ladle for an American-based event, such as this one.
Except when the community actually didn't move it for an American-based event when it had the chance. Try again.

Again, I think this community is a different one to that, I've said this before. It's bigger now, and there are many more involved now, that weren't 2 years ago. I doubt the same thing would happen again.
Click. Image
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

Whether or not that happened is irrelevant. Holding a grudge for the past is childish. Do what is right regardless of what did or didn't happen.
sinewav wrote:As long as we are going to have a vote, we should take the next day or two to decide if there is anything else to vote on before we make the thread.
Hmm I can't think of anything. 8v8???