Ladle 59 Date

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Post Reply
User avatar
ppotter
Match Winner
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:45 am

Re: Ladle 59 Date

Post by ppotter »

Why should it be moved? Missing one ladle is not the end of the world.

User avatar
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy
Posts: 2035
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:05 am
Contact:

Re: Ladle 59 Date

Post by dlh »

PokeMaster wrote:And to Americans potentially against this: think about what leverage this will give us on Super Bowl Sundays and the next 4th of July that falls on a Sunday.
Ladle 172 in 2021?

PokeMaster
Match Winner
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:36 am

Re: Ladle 59 Date

Post by PokeMaster »

Ah so I guess Leap Year in 2016 means that the 4th will skip on a Sunday. Heh, didn't think it through / look it up.

Anyway, what do we have to lose by moving it? The only argument against it thus far is "oh it's not that big of a deal to miss a ladle" <-- not a strong argument
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

User avatar
sinewav
Graphic Artist
Posts: 6303
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:37 am
Contact:

Re: Ladle 59 Date

Post by sinewav »

No need to switch Ladle for a regional sporting event. You aren't special and you won't be missed. Have fun watching the game.

Venijn
Round Winner
Posts: 230
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Ladle 59 Date

Post by Venijn »

Wow, this appears to be a much bigger issue than it should be.

The EC happens every 4 years, and people have other interests outside tron.

I thought this community was accommodating, perhaps I was wrong. It's pretty poor to dig your heels in say you won't move it, it's a very reasonable request.

We could always have a "Shadow ladle" a week later for all who can make the 8th if this doesn't work out.
Click. Image

User avatar
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 1009
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:53 pm
Location: A frozen wasteland

Re: Ladle 59 Date

Post by Clutch »

why should everyone else accommodate you people because you want to do something else with your time :roll:
Boxed

PokeMaster
Match Winner
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:36 am

Re: Ladle 59 Date

Post by PokeMaster »

I may be wrong, but haven't we moved the Ladle off of January 1st in the past. Maybe this isn't as large or as widespread of an interest as New Years, but it seems like it will probably affect a substantial amount of ladle participants. Again, what do we have to lose by moving it?
sinewav wrote:No need to switch Ladle for a regional sporting event. You aren't special and you won't be missed. Have fun watching the game.
So you don't think that the quality of ladle is affected by the number of participants?
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

User avatar
-*inS*-
Round Winner
Posts: 320
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:31 pm

Re: Ladle 59 Date

Post by -*inS*- »

PokeMaster wrote:I may be wrong, but haven't we moved the Ladle off of January 1st in the past. Maybe this isn't as large or as widespread of an interest as New Years, but it seems like it will probably affect a substantial amount of ladle participants. Again, what do we have to lose by moving it?
sinewav wrote:No need to switch Ladle for a regional sporting event. You aren't special and you won't be missed. Have fun watching the game.
So you don't think that the quality of ladle is affected by the number of participants?
You're dancing around the fact that there's already been a precedent set and agreed upon. If we move it once, why not move it for other events? It's a slippery slope.

Also it's not like everyone can make it on day x and no one can make it on day y. Some people (including me) work Sundays and specifically got the first Sunday off for the ladle, but it's okay to ignore that I suppose, I'll have fun playing League instead.
Image

FoFo
Core Dumper
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:14 pm
Location: France , Nice

Re: Ladle 59 Date

Post by FoFo »

i wont miss that final , hf

User avatar
sinewav
Graphic Artist
Posts: 6303
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:37 am
Contact:

Re: Ladle 59 Date

Post by sinewav »

PokeMaster wrote:So you don't think that the quality of ladle is affected by the number of participants?
Ladle isn't going to collapse one month because a select few Euros want to watch football. And even if we are down a team or two, the Ladle will be better because those people who actually show up will be there to play, rather than having their mind elsewhere. ("omg i'm missing the football game! my life revolves around football! if I don't see the game everyone will laugh at me!" ... yeah, I won't miss those people.) If you want to watch football, do it, but don't expect everyone to put their fun on hold for you. You aren't special and you won't be missed.

We aren't going to accommodate every little (and it is little) regional event or holiday. If we do that, Ladle dates will change every other month. We moved Ladle away from New Year's because of a vote. In fact, we had a quarterly voting system for deciding which future Ladle dates would be moved in cases like this. No dates ever got moved, and no one wanted to vote. So that's why we aren't changing it.

PokeMaster
Match Winner
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:36 am

Re: Ladle 59 Date

Post by PokeMaster »

sinewav wrote:Ladle isn't going to collapse one month because a select few Euros want to watch football.
My argument isn't about collapse, just a loss in quality which is a larger loss than changing the date would lead to.
sinewav wrote:And even if we are down a team or two, the Ladle will be better because those people who actually show up will be there to play, rather than having their mind elsewhere. ("omg i'm missing the football game! my life revolves around football! if I don't see the game everyone will laugh at me!" ... yeah, I won't miss those people.)
Actually, this is even more reason why moving the date would be beneficial. If we have it on the 5th, the same day as the Euro Cup Final, then not only would we be losing participants who choose to watch the Cup over playing in the Ladle, but as you say, also those who will be distracted by the Cup yet who still choose to join the Ladle. The loss, as you point out, will be more than just those who don't show, if we have it on the day of the Euro Cup (or any other concurrently-timed major event).
-*inS*- wrote:You're dancing around the fact that there's already been a precedent set and agreed upon. If we move it once, why not move it for other events? It's a slippery slope.
Sure okay, that makes sense. Maybe I just don't understand why there's a precedent in the first place. If it's a difference between just a few people making it, then I'd agree it wouldn't be worth the change, but if it's the difference of 20, maybe even more people (guessing, I know), then changing the date would clearly be beneficial - worth the small loss of consistency.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

PokeMaster
Match Winner
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:36 am

Re: Ladle 59 Date

Post by PokeMaster »

Alright I started a poll to see how many people would miss the ladle if it were on July 1st. This poll obviously isn't a sole decider whether the date should change, but it's a relevant piece of information.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Venijn
Round Winner
Posts: 230
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Ladle 59 Date

Post by Venijn »

Venijn wrote:We could always have a "Shadow ladle" a week later for all who can make the 8th if this doesn't work out.
Also, a multi-billion pound competition attracting interest from people all over the world can hardly be called "little."
Click. Image

User avatar
Cronix
Match Winner
Posts: 467
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:25 pm
Location: behind you!

Re: Ladle 59 Date

Post by Cronix »

Would we move Ladle if the FIFA World Championships finals would happen on that exact date?

Having an all US ladle could be awesome too tho ^_^ not
Signature? wtf...

User avatar
þsy
Match Winner
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:52 pm

Re: Ladle 59 Date

Post by þsy »

Just to give people a feel for numbers, currently SP will barely be able to get one complete team together for the ladle - like fofo, I myself won't be playing!

This whole precedent argue is a bit absurd though... We don't have some rich heritage of tradition, we're a flexible group of people who can accommodate for each other's needs. There may not be as much money in it as the Superbowl (maybe there is, I'm not sure..?), but football is a far more widespread sport globally

I'm pretty sure we would have moved ladle in the past if Superbowl had conflicted with ladle time-wise, but as already noted - it's finished before it started. And besides, I'd be happy to move it one week forwards for Superbowl if it meant more participation and higher levels of competition

Post Reply