1v1 48 Sumo Tournament February 26! *Brackets up*

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

dreadlord
Match Winner

Re: 1v1 48 Sumo Tournament February 26! *Brackets up*

Post by dreadlord »

raph123 wrote:
dreadlord wrote: Yeah, considering that people with the same first letter are likely to face each other it would perhaps be fair to rerandomize it.
That in itself if quite random. Unless someone picked the first letter of their name planing for this to happen one day.
How is it random when you know that Cody will most likely play against durka, because their nicks begin with c and d?
Overrated
Match Winner

Post by Overrated »

Cody wrote: this randomizer, seems to like to put names closer together if they are closer in the alphabet together.
I just want to point out that this isn't exactly random and technically the "fairest" thing to do would be to re randomize. Idc whether that's done or not though.

Edit: Also, chah did not sign up under the name chah (he named LOL (!) iirc), so if this is arranged by names closer to the alphabet, this already ruined the "randomization" of it. Anyway, carry on.
BRAWL dead. RIP.

Fort is like a box of knives, you never know when you're going to be cut.
Core Dumper

Post by 0000 »

Cody did you provide your randomizer with a list in alphabetical order? Otherwise, how would it know? Regardless, humans are notorious for finding patterns in randomness. Are we sure that this list is truely non-random? Remember that some letters/sections of the alphabet are used more often than others.

Then again Im biased and I like this rand. :) Do what you want.
Last edited by 0000 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wap
Round Winner

Post by wap »

dreadlord wrote:How is it random when you know that Cody will most likely play against durka, because their nicks begin with c and d?
It is random because neither Durka nor Cody chose their names for the reason of playing each other in this tournament.

But yeah, complete randomization is probably good.
dreadlord
Match Winner

Post by dreadlord »

wap wrote:
dreadlord wrote:How is it random when you know that Cody will most likely play against durka, because their nicks begin with c and d?
It is random because neither Durka nor Cody chose their names for the reason of playing each other in this tournament.

But yeah, complete randomization is probably good.
Yeah, but since they would have to play each other everytime (and they somehow have to) it is not random anymore.

I think the majority supports another randomization, so now it is cody's turn.
ElmosWorld
Match Winner

Post by ElmosWorld »

We've been over this before.... If you don't like the way he does it, don't sign up.

Its not like he knew TGT was Durka last tourney either...
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

How is there a pattern? Look at the brackets, Donut vs Zero, real close. Squirrel and Locke, a big separation. Chop suey and over. Fate and tim misny. It honestly looks random enough to me, there's no real bullshit rounds, and even the WST showed that randomization CAN lead to interesting matchups, like Woned, Xyron, and I playing Cody's team three Wst's in a row. Random does not mean that Cody can't play Durka everytime, it is completely random.
raph
Average Program

Post by raph »

wap wrote:
^that

And what Deso said.

And also, even if there is an alphabetic pattern it doesn't mean it's not random
chah
Core Dumper

Post by chah »

I don't get what the point of this discussion is, at the end of the day the best player will win (and along the way EVERYONE is going to have to play a very good player (a lot of people who signed up for this are very good(!)) at least twice before the finals). Also, the only match up any of you are pointing out is durka vs. cody. Who gives a shit if cody keeps losing to durka in his own tourney, that's one match out of (if my maths is correct) 45(!). Also, out of the 16 players where i am at the top of the bracket, the only one i've played before out of all those people is Slick.
Don't hate the player, hate the entire clan.
dreadlord
Match Winner

Post by dreadlord »

Oh god, I should not have posted here. My point was not to complain about the brackets, because I do not care who I have to play. Since cody was unsure what to do I, and some others, shared our opinions with him. Where is the problem?
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

I am sharing my opinion as well, and that is that rerandomizing is pointless and unnecessary.
dreadlord
Match Winner

Post by dreadlord »

Okay, anyone for predictions then? ;)
Overrated
Match Winner

Post by Overrated »

I should clarify my point, since I wasn't even noticing how failed I messed up the first part (yay tiredness/no sleep). IF it's appearing as though it's not random by somewhat alphabetical groupings (that isn't completely random), then there should be a re randomization. Frankly, I don't see the pattern some people suggest, but I understand why some people worry considering cody plays durka nearly every tournament he hosts.
ElmosWorld wrote:Its not like he knew TGT was Durka last tourney either...
If TGT was signed up with durka's @forums, then yes, cody did know who it was.
BRAWL dead. RIP.

Fort is like a box of knives, you never know when you're going to be cut.
Cronix
Match Winner

Post by Cronix »

dreadlord wrote:Okay, anyone for predictions then? ;)
Dont worry they will come :D

But I hate that some using aliases all the time... how should I know who is going to win a matchup when I do not even know their names...

Anyways they will come ^_^ Either today or late saturday... busy friday for me :P
Signature? wtf...
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Desolate wrote:rerandomizing is pointless and unnecessary.
+1

Listen to yourselves.
Then look at the brackets.
Then ask yourself whether rerandomizing is truly necessary.
Maybe we should try to pull this crap in the Ladle 55 thread and see how far we get with it...