Fort Cup - Discussion Thread

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

-*inS*-
Round Winner

Re: Fort Cup - Discussion Thread

Post by -*inS*- »

My thoughts on the USA teams:

We are essentially arguing between the senate and the house of representatives; should a country have representation based on its size or be strictly held to one team? Once we find out how many players are interested there will be a rough picture of how many other teams there will be.

With this knowledge we can adjust the number of US teams to benefit the tournament overall. An example would be if we had 13 teams without the US, we would want to create 3 US teams to allow us to have 4 groups of 4 teams.

Another thing is, should the US teams be randomized? Last year they were and that arguably weakened the US overall as they didn't have a team make it into the second week (correct me if I'm wrong). But if they aren't randomized, who decides who gets to play on what teams? Imagine the US has 30 players, and gets to have 3 teams. Who decides what goes where?
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

-*inS*- wrote:But if they aren't randomized, who decides who gets to play on what teams? Imagine the US has 30 players, and gets to have 3 teams. Who decides what goes where?
Voting. Have everybody vote for, say, their top 6 choices for players that would make the best team. Ideally people will include the best center and best def into this, so those key positions will get enough votes too. Then just take the people with the most votes, having the few trailing behind act as subs.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

I'd lean more towards team captains. Country votes for team captains, these (one/two/three?) pick the teams.
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

I'd be more for the players being chosen, then those players choosing a captain from among themselves. Those playing should choose how/if they want to be governed.
Slickster
Round Winner

Post by Slickster »

INW wrote:I vote for 2 U.S.A. teams.
East Coast
Rest of U.S.A.
This seems logical...I just searched through all the sign ups and everyone from the US is east coast besides me so far...
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

Slickster wrote:
INW wrote:I vote for 2 U.S.A. teams.
East Coast
Rest of U.S.A.
This seems logical...I just searched through all the sign ups and everyone from the US is east coast besides me so far...
Maybe we should split the U.S. up between North East and Rest?
Depending on where people sign up, we might need to also specify North or South.
Nelhybel
Round Winner

Post by Nelhybel »

syllabear wrote:I'd lean more towards team captains. Country votes for team captains, these (one/two/three?) pick the teams.
+1; however, what do you have in mind for how the captains choose? If they each took turns choosing a player in the order of how many votes they got, then the best US players could still be very divided. I'd say that the person with the most votes for captain gets to choose their whole team, then the person with the second highest number of votes.

Also, I'd say we just have a proper number of US teams to accommodate the number of US players - if we end up with an undesired number of teams (say, 17), just have a pre-round (hypothetically the actual opening round) like we do with Ladle these days.

Using the team-choosing method provided by Sylla should provide balanced play, and the weaker US teams - even if there are multiple - will be eliminated soon enough.
Feel free to contact me here or on the grid if you would like assistance or support in beginning a relationship with Jesus Christ.
---
uNa| United Noobs of Armagetron Forums
-=}ID< Immortal Dynasty Forums
_~`Ww_ Wild West Forums
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

Well if there was just one captain (though its looking unlikely with the numbers so far) then there would be no problem

If there were 2, I am sure they would be able to have a reasoned, rational discussion about team structure.

If there were 3, I don't think it'd change much from if there were 2.

Of course they could pick teams, or they could take it in turn to divide all the teams. They could even decide amongst themselves they want a randomisation.
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

Just for the record, I don't think that any country should have more than 1 team, but I do believe that smaller countries (from the same region) should be allowed to band together to create one (like how Eastern Block functioned in the last one). Excessive size shouldn't grant more opportunity for victory, but smaller size shouldn't restrict participation. The idea is that each country has no more than 1 team of representatives fighting for the interest(s) of that country.

Regardless of the the number of teams for a country (whether only 1 or more), I still think that teams should be decided before captains. If captains choose their teams, then yes, they may be able to better collect those pairs and groups of players who play well together, but they will also have the opportunity to impose their own bias on who should play and shouldn't, meaning that they may prefer members of their own team or clan rather than others who may be just as much or even more qualified. If all potential players from a country elect their players, then those who come out on top were fairly chosen and are universally (within that country) thought to be the best players. And then that team can elect a team captain, of who they believe will best lead them to victory.
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

^ true.

is there enough people that come from a rare country to build a refugee team?
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
Nelhybel
Round Winner

Post by Nelhybel »

A quick look at the sign-ups leads me to ask the question - are we supposed to sign up for the country in which we currently live, or in another country that you may feel an allegiance to or simply great enthusiasm for? I think I see some Americans have done the latter, which may be a good think if it could diminish the massive number of players on the American team(s), so I am just curious which is preferred by the host/community.
Feel free to contact me here or on the grid if you would like assistance or support in beginning a relationship with Jesus Christ.
---
uNa| United Noobs of Armagetron Forums
-=}ID< Immortal Dynasty Forums
_~`Ww_ Wild West Forums
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

Same question as Nel.
LucK
Shutout Match Winner

Post by LucK »

Yea can you guys clarify because some of us have been denied playing for the team we signed up for and haven't been given a reason :x
-*inS*-
Round Winner

Post by -*inS*- »

@Nel/appa

Not an admin but i think last year if you had citizenship or ancestry, you were allowed to sign up with that country. Being a 'fan' wouldn't count because then obviously Poland would win.

@Luck Considering no tron players live in Russia, you'd probably be grouped with the refugees which wouldn't make sense when the country you reside in is playing in the cup.
LucK
Shutout Match Winner

Post by LucK »

-*inS*- wrote:@Nel/appa

Not an admin but i think last year if you had citizenship or ancestry, you were allowed to sign up with that country. Being a 'fan' wouldn't count because then obviously Poland would win.

@Luck Considering no tron players live in Russia, you'd probably be grouped with the refugees which wouldn't make sense when the country you reside in is playing in the cup.
Ah okay that makes sense.