Fort Cup - Discussion Thread

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

PokeMaster
Match Winner

Re: Fort Cup - Discussion Thread

Post by PokeMaster »

ppotter wrote:It should be the best six from each nation (plus subs), don't whine if you can't play, just get better and become part of the six.
exactly how i feel
INW wrote:And how do you pick those 6...
have everybody who signed up from that country vote for who they think the best team of 6 would be
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

Popularity contest!
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

That is a popularity contest, and having team captains pick players also has its limits (captains being biased of course). Having a few team captains helps solve this, but it cycles around into a popularity contest for the team captains.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

I don't get it. On one side of opinion here, only the 6 best players from a given country, chosen by what will surely be a popularity contest are going to play. On the other side, an uncertain amount of teams will play. It would seem to me that it would be best if everybody who signs up can play. If you look at the gridstats map of MB53 players http://gridstats.com/mb53s-mega-fortress-pro/map, you will see that the United States of America has 357 players, Germany has 116 players, then the counts per country go down to 26 for France and less for other countries. To me, it would seem that Germany can probably field at least 2 teams, and the USA 3 teams, all to be based on sign-ups, of course. I don't understand why you would limit the number of teams in countries with lots of sign-ups to be significantly less than the number of players. To me, all this says is that if I sign up as a player from the USA, I have a lot less chance of playing than say one from the Russian Federation or Serbia. Perhaps Luck is the smart one to sign up as a Russian, since the likelihood is that he will actually play is much greater than if he were to sign up as a player from the USA.
Quite frankly, the way this is headed, if I were going to sign up, I would sign up as a Serbian or Russian. At least then, I would get to play. Of course, the net effect of this is probably going to be that even if you do only allow 1 USA team, the other USA players will just play for other countries that have few if any players. So, you end up with multiple USA teams anyways.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
dariv
Round Winner

Post by dariv »

compguygene wrote:I were going to sign up, I would sign up as a Serbian or Russian. At least then, I would get to play.
Since nobody is going to be checking birth certificates, the success of the tournament depends on the integrity of the players. Threatening that success when you don't get what you want, by deliberate dishonesty, is pretty lame, but in any case I suspect you won't get picked by the captain who doesn't believe you have anything to do with that country.

If you play for Russia and win, Russia still isn't the best side and we did the whole tournament for nothing.

If you want to play, enter into one of the many other competitions that do not have this specific restriction.
pLxDari - Challenge us!
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

dariv wrote:
compguygene wrote:I were going to sign up, I would sign up as a Serbian or Russian. At least then, I would get to play.
Since nobody is going to be checking birth certificates, the success of the tournament depends on the integrity of the players. Threatening that success when you don't get what you want, by deliberate dishonesty, is pretty lame, but in any case I suspect you won't get picked by the captain who doesn't believe you have anything to do with that country.

If you play for Russia and win, Russia still isn't the best side and we did the whole tournament for nothing.

If you want to play, enter into one of the many other competitions that do not have this specific restriction.
I was using myself as an example. Any of you that know me, know that I am not available to play in tournaments, because of busy weekends I spend with my family. Perhaps you totally miss the point that I am making.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
dariv
Round Winner

Post by dariv »

Whatever I said applies equally to anyone who does this.
pLxDari - Challenge us!
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

I don't see how it would turn into a popularity contest; you just vote for who you think the best players are (who tend to be the more popular players anyway). Why should I want to see somebody like animuson* play, who I know is awful, just because I'm pals with him? I'd rather see my country succeed than to try to get my friend a leg up. The latter is more or less just selfish.

*or any other standard bad player
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

^ yeah people need to stop calling everything a popularity contest around here
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

If I were picking my U.S.A. team, I would first pick the players in the clan I am in. Because playing with friends should be funner than playing with complete strangers. Who cares if you win, you had fun playing with your friends.

I don't think it would be much of a problem to have all the U.S. players vote for the team rather than a team captain picking but I still think everyone should have a chance to play if they sign up.

Remember, this isn't the Olympics, this is a fun, free, community PC game. Please don't forget that.
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

Yeah, would definitely weigh the players in my clan higher than players from other clans. There are some obvious picks, but overall a popularity contest.
dariv
Round Winner

Post by dariv »

Haha, then I'd suggest neither of you are team captains. This "popularity contest" issue isn't even directly linked to the number of teams a country is given. Multiple national teams will still suffer the division caused by people putting personal preference ahead of team spirit or the desire to win.

Giving a country the right to make as many teams as they want is not the solution to this problem, the solution is to have better captains.
pLxDari - Challenge us!
-*inS*-
Round Winner

Post by -*inS*- »

INW wrote:If I were picking my U.S.A. team, I would first pick the players in the clan I am in. Because playing with friends should be funner than playing with complete strangers. Who cares if you win, you had fun playing with your friends.

I don't think it would be much of a problem to have all the U.S. players vote for the team rather than a team captain picking but I still think everyone should have a chance to play if they sign up.

Remember, this isn't the Olympics, this is a fun, free, community PC game. Please don't forget that.
I think if everyone voted, the relative clan bias would cancel out. Also I'm not sure how much bias you are talking about, yeah if two players possessed near equal talent and were fighting over a spot, I (and most other people) would choose our clanmate, but from what was described above you want a countries roster to completely resemble your clan? That would be really selfish.
dariv wrote:Haha, then I'd suggest neither of you are team captains. This "popularity contest" issue isn't even directly linked to the number of teams a country is given. Multiple national teams will still suffer the division caused by people putting personal preference ahead of team spirit or the desire to win.

Giving a country the right to make as many teams as they want is not the solution to this problem, the solution is to have better captains.
Agreed these are separate issues. It just happens that they both came up together because of last year (3 USA teams, all randomized).
Thilo
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Thilo »

O cool. Does Netherlands team need a player???
<--- shoebat
Slickster
Round Winner

Post by Slickster »

Thilo wrote:O cool. Does Netherlands team need a player???
U could sign up as US too o: