Ladle 49

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Post Reply
User avatar
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1950
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:10 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA

Re: Ladle 49

Post by INW »

Concord wrote:I'll be scouring the recordings for the best plays of this ladle, so those players can get some recognition for their abilities and balls.

I know of a couple off the top of my head, but obviously didn't see all the matches, anyone have suggestions?
The CT v. mYm match had great highlights. I watched the recording and CT had some pwnage as well as mYm. I had a couple nice moves ;)

You will probably have to watch the recording twice to get all the great action from both teams.

Krikio
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:15 pm

Re: Ladle 49

Post by Krikio »

gz mym :)! Good ladle.

Nice game SP been interesting...

I agree with vov about the anti speedhole, if you center you win since insa mostly didnt have def setup by the time vov centerd 2 or 3 times and a torpedo tactic we tried last round which nearly workd to take zone aswell but we were to slow on doing it however it did counter sweep step box since only FoFo's tail closes the middle front side vs def at that point and a player can just go inside their def which has not been setup yet :).

Looking forward to ladle 50!

User avatar
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1950
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:10 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA

Re: Ladle 49

Post by INW »

"In with the new, out with old" when things change :(

User avatar
þsy
Match Winner
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:52 pm

Re: Ladle 49

Post by þsy »

woned: Yeah sorry I didn't notice that! Thanks for spotting that, but once again my suggestion has been overlooked :ghost:

Yeah vov you were troublesome in center :P And liz, you only did the torp + center attack after titan disconnected (which was good thinking and pretty merciless) so it was 5v5 with you in our zone. I'm not sure how great that'd be in a 6v6 situation as it means you can't set up your own sweep box. But these are the sort of ideas I think we'll need to break down sweep boxes!

Concord: That is very honourable of you :) I think dreadlord did some great things in attack for SP, whilst I hear that akira caused a lot of trouble against his opponents (including me, but I'm blaming INW's server for the majority!)

User avatar
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1950
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:10 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA

Re: Ladle 49

Post by INW »

þsy wrote: Yeah vov you were troublesome in center :P And liz, you only did the torp + center attack after titan disconnected (which was good thinking and pretty merciless) so it was 5v5 with you in our zone. I'm not sure how great that'd be in a 6v6 situation as it means you can't set up your own sweep box. But these are the sort of ideas I think we'll need to break down sweep boxes!
Liz having us do that torp pos 2 then center attack deal wasn't thought of because someone dc'ed. We were having problems getting into the zone because of the double def/sweep box. So we thought about trying that. IIRC, we did it 3 times. Twice in one round against a team and once the next round against a different team. It was pretty effective.

User avatar
sinewav
Graphic Artist
Posts: 6303
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:37 am
Contact:

Re: Ladle 49

Post by sinewav »

Owned: Remember the other idea I had when the server crashed? I suggested we play a new match to 50. In that case it seemed totally fair since we were both around the 50 point mark anyway (I was surprised you guys didn't go for that because we were essentially giving you points). So, if we can't agree on where to pick up after a server crash, maybe the policy could be to have a half match instead? Of course there are problems with that too, like if the server crashes at 96-96 or 90-50 and the team with the lower score winds up winning. But playing the entire match over in a crash really burns the other teams and sets us waaaaay behind schedule.

Elmo's idea of setting the scores to the beginning of the round is interesting, but who is taking screenshots between every round? How do we verify that if the current round is particularly long and no one is paying attention?

I really think dlh's suggestion is the best method. It seems the easiest and most fair to me. If you want to compile a list of alternatives I guess we could vote on it or something.

syllabear
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 1015
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:37 pm
Location: UK/HK

Re: Ladle 49

Post by syllabear »

theroze wrote:New defensive tactic
Yeah I only suggested it would become part of major fort 6+ months ago, and Concord only dismissed it about a year before that.

It's been around for ages.
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami

PokeMaster
Match Winner
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:36 am

Re: Ladle 49

Post by PokeMaster »

concord why do you ask my to toot my own horn? I hate doing that :(
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

User avatar
-*inS*-
Round Winner
Posts: 320
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:31 pm

Re: Ladle 49

Post by -*inS*- »

INW wrote:
þsy wrote: Yeah vov you were troublesome in center :P And liz, you only did the torp + center attack after titan disconnected (which was good thinking and pretty merciless) so it was 5v5 with you in our zone. I'm not sure how great that'd be in a 6v6 situation as it means you can't set up your own sweep box. But these are the sort of ideas I think we'll need to break down sweep boxes!
Liz having us do that torp pos 2 then center attack deal wasn't thought of because someone dc'ed. We were having problems getting into the zone because of the double def/sweep box. So we thought about trying that. IIRC, we did it 3 times. Twice in one round against a team and once the next round against a different team. It was pretty effective.
Well Liz did come down the center before we only had 5, but she died due to my block iirc, once it was 6v5 I was unable to block center, so centering became a much more viable option for you guys. Not sure about your tactics on getting into the center, but they were working i'll tell you that :P.

Yeah the weakness of setting up a sweepbox is that it's difficult for the sweepers to block a late center (thanks for demonstrating that to us vov ;)). However it still is the best sweeping tactic that people are currently using.

Oh and I second the dreadlord thing, a few times he would go rambo and kill the entire other team, was pretty crazy to watch as kills kept popping up.
Image

User avatar
theroze
Match Winner
Posts: 596
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:30 am
Location: 47 72 69 64

Re: Ladle 49

Post by theroze »

syllabear wrote:
theroze wrote:New defensive tactic
Yeah I only suggested it would become part of major fort 6+ months ago, and Concord only dismissed it about a year before that.

It's been around for ages.
I think I have misphrased that a bit, I mean that this is commonly used by every "better" team now.
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011

User avatar
akira
Core Dumper
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:12 pm
Location: Neo-Tokyo

Re: Ladle 49

Post by akira »

I would question that. One attacker is enough to keep 3 defenders busy making it easy to hunt your remaining 3 players. Wait that actually happened in our game...
I you employ a stubborn sweepbox you already already admit a partial defeat. A box at start can be be fine to enable a clean setup, but should be broken off quickly if the opponent adapts.

Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:08 pm

Re: Ladle 49

Post by Gonzap »

I love how this discussion is not turning into some troll-flame bait annoying topic but an interesting one to sort out problems. I think the fairest solution is to restart the whole match if the server crashes, even tho it will take much longer.

Btw gz to mym for their first ladle win. It was intense (more the first than the second match, cause of the crash)

User avatar
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1950
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:10 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA

Re: Ladle 49

Post by INW »

What I noticed ID failed to do against DS was breaking off the sweep box.

ID would have a sweep box with all of their attackers dead and 4 DS attackers. There is no point.

I see the sweep box as a tool to use to prevent the enemy from holing and give your attack enough time to hole.

We were constantly figuring ourselves out when to break the sweep box may it be because a lack of attackers or to give ourselves a better chance of killing the attackers.

With SP, liz and I went back to sweep just about every round when we noticed SP had the sweep box set up. It would be pointless to keep 3 people out there just watching it shrink (slowly). Akira did that for us. With 5 defenders/sweepers, the enemy attackers were pretty much stuck.

owned
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 876
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:01 pm

Re: Ladle 49

Post by owned »

sinewav wrote:Owned: Remember the other idea I had when the server crashed? I suggested we play a new match to 50. In that case it seemed totally fair since we were both around the 50 point mark anyway (I was surprised you guys didn't go for that because we were essentially giving you points).
I seem to remember ct liking it as a team. We asked eckz for his opinion on it and he said we should just reset scores. Since any disagreement between teams would just make us default to that, we just stopped arguing. I can see why it seems like we were against it though.
So, if we can't agree on where to pick up after a server crash, maybe the policy could be to have a half match instead? Of course there are problems with that too, like if the server crashes at 96-96 or 90-50 and the team with the lower score winds up winning. But playing the entire match over in a crash really burns the other teams and sets us waaaaay behind schedule.
The reason I used the analogy to scores was that I thought it was rather obvious that you should reset scores. I was trying to say that if you believed you should reset scores (something I thought a vast majority of people believed), then you should also believe in resetting player difference.

As for elmo's idea, I'd say that the idea is actually in the opposite direction of where we want to go. While dlh's suggestion rewards a team for the core dumps they've done in the round (although obviously not as much as I'd want), elmo's suggestion ignores any gains that a team has made and reverts it to how it was before.

User avatar
vov
Match Winner
Posts: 561
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:40 pm

Re: Ladle 49

Post by vov »

-*inS*- wrote:a few times he would go rambo and kill the entire other team, was pretty crazy to watch as kills kept popping up.
who me? ^^ jk

mhm and i would split this topic... one group here talks about sweepboxes and shortening rounds, the other one about crashes and what to do then :P (and the third one waving "gz" as i do now: gz mym)

Post Reply