Ladle 48

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Ladle 48

Post by Z-Man »

Kinda, but that's for closed curves. Yeah, "Topology" police is a misnomer, I mean, topologically he could have totally just gone around that wall. It's more of a Geometry Police, but that doesn't sound as good,
(It's that system that kills players when it notices walls cross.)
dariv
Round Winner

Post by dariv »

Z-Man wrote:The basic engine of AA is topologically correct: the grid consists of eFaces ( triangles ) that are connected; every cycle is in exactly one of those eFaces at a time and when it passes to another eFace, it has to go over the edge. If that edge has a wall on it, BOOM.
However, there is a flaw in the design: It only works while the grid is not changing. If the grid changes, some eFaces get destroyed and others are created. If your cycle is on a eFace that is destroyed, you will be assigned a new one. If you are lucky, that eFace lies on the other side of a wall and you cheated.

Why would the grid change? If I drive through an eFace, will I cut that triangle into a set of smaller triangles?
pLxDari - Challenge us!
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yep.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Psy: when you tried to hole unk like you described, was it on a double def? How did mkay get in, through the same wall(s) as you?

If it was, then there's something in common with what happened with maz, and why we don't see it more often.

@CT_emmy: when you told me you knew how to make a no death hole I thought you were lying.
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

Titan: psy went first, through the single defense wall, then I did shortly after. Hmmm, can quantum mechanics occur in this game? I seem to remember from watching a video that one out of some astronomic number of tries, you will be able to walk through a wall. Then again, let's rule that out as impossible, because statistically, it is.
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

Yeah, we basically grinded each other to hole - I got to the defence first and just went through, mkay followed half a second later. No hole was created, we just crossed through. I was expecting to be pulled back in time to my death due to some massive lag, but it never happened! We then ganked and won the round without dying (though I died right at the end as someone trapped me)
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

So call me crazy, but I'm gonna assume it has something to do with the double def (either a specific distance between the two different (def-)walls disable the cop, or the shape of the big box). 'Course, I don't know anything about code. That's what I see in common tho :D
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

Lol, it wasn't a double defense, it was something like 3on1.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

probably some mixture of server and/or client lag at the right time
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

Mkay1 wrote:Lol
Answer correctly then, instead of answering incorrectly just to "Lol" at me later :/
Tru
Round Winner

Post by Tru »

I heard people spend a lot of time placing servers into Ladle brackets.
I have a script which randomize servers for brackets till finals.
I actually made it for tournament in different game but seems it suits for Ladle too
Result example: http://lv-vl.net/randomserver/110814222326.txt
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

Tru wrote:I heard people spend a lot of time placing servers into Ladle brackets.]
I used to! It sucked!
Tru wrote:I have a script which randomize servers for brackets till finals.
Yay!
Tru wrote:I actually made it for tournament in different game but seems it suits for Ladle too
Let's hope!
I think it just needs to be modified slightly to suit the ladle (e.g. the server #'s could be changed, i think. but i haven't given it much thought really so i might be wrong)

Anyway, yay.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Tru wrote:I heard people spend a lot of time placing servers into Ladle brackets.
I have a script which randomize servers for brackets till finals.
Cool! :) Except one thing... servers are not randomized. :? There are specific guidelines for the order in which they are placed.

Kyle actually wrote a script that does this, but he has the only copy. One of the things on his To Do list is rewriting the .randomteam script to pass servers into the argument in addition to teams -- and outputting a complete wiki table/bracket! If this sounds like something you want to do, you should get together with him and talk more about it.

Or you can revise your script to meet the current guidelines if it doesn't already. Thanks man. :)