Ladles

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Ladles

Post by Hoax »

If everyone kept their mouth shut the people proclaiming that rudeness is bad would have nothing to put in their poorly edited crude signatures
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

syllabear wrote:I know I'm no saint, but I don't think I've ever made excessive fun about someone behind their back in such a way, and if I have, I apologise, it wasn't meant in harm, as this likely was.
so it's legit to peeve everyone as long as you don't do it behind their back, like you keep doing it? what sort of double standard is that?
sinewav wrote:I don't think there is much that can be done at this point.
Z-Man could disable the spectator chat for recordings so it's not possible to read it without crashing the playback client (he did that already i think). I don't want to read everything that's said about me in spec chat, and if it's important to you, you can still make a screenshot or create your own aarecs.

(as long as i don't write something via msg i don't say something behind anyone's back; i know that some people watch the recordings to find passages where someone mentions them)
syllabear wrote:And note, its not just from non contendors, but even players from other matches come in and make rude remarks, not just about tactics, but about players themselves, and I find this disturbing.
Perhaps we can start to think about ladle bans for such offences (after warnings of course)?
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

i agree with Word, sylla you're an annoying person who admits to pissing people off on purpose and YOU'RE the one making that post? and with that sig...

come on

you're guilty of this yourself too, "lets all quit when liz wins" thats more malicious than what you showed on that screenshot tbh
dariv
Round Winner

Post by dariv »

It would be nice to not have to continuously page down when watching the aarec files, if you're reading this Z-man, would it be possible to use text_out 0 for the recordings?
pLxDari - Challenge us!
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

You mean ENABLE_CHAT, TEXT_OUT has no effect in multiplayer. I probably should put that one up for a vote. Like this.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

Lets forget the person behind the posting and focus more on the sentiment please, word, liz, hoax?

I have a fairly thick skin, since I don't mind being at the butt of jokes IRL, but even I started to feel rather uncomfortable after watching both of the recordings of our matches, and I haven't even seen the SP one yet (who knows what'll be in there now we finally lose one?)

If anyone else in Tu wants to go watch that, why should they have to suffer through that? Even if I completely deserve all of the shit thats said in the recordings, much of it isn't just about me, but about the entire clan and individual players, who are nothing but polite on the grid.

Try looking beyond your own problems with me at the crux of the matter, instead of just digging your head in the sand and pointing out my hypocrisy, when I'm trying to provide more of a neutral view in this by detatching myself from it.

I'm more than sure this kind of shit goes on in other people's matches, I myself have witnessed it, and as liz truthfully says, I took part in it on at least a few occassions (which I apologise for). I don't think its right for anyone to have to receive this kind of thing.

Any problems any of you have with me, please bring them up in PM, I am not trying to sort out the "Sylla is a dick/hypocrite/he hurt my feelings :(" issues you may all have in this topic.
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

practice what you preach
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

ok liz, I want a second chance, just like you got, I'll practice what I preach ;)

also
syllabear wrote:Any problems any of you have with me, please bring them up in PM,
Last edited by syllabear on Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ps I'm not tokoyami
dariv
Round Winner

Post by dariv »

People are always going to talk behind other's back, rather than trying to stop it, I think just try to keep it private so it doesn't cause problems like this has. If they knew you'd read it, they probably wouldn't have said it. You cannot stop a private conversation. But you can prevent people from being foolish so as to accidentally broadcast their opinions to the world.
pLxDari - Challenge us!
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Seeing as this (negative though, unfortunately) event seems to be starting a process of changing you (Syllabear) for (what seems to be) "the better" in a sense or two, I think it's all fine at the end of the day.

I've personally experienced some harsh words and even bullying (which I wouldn't have tolerated irl, but it's difficult to settle things on tron) from quite some people in the sumo/fortress community, and it was rough until I managed to see it for what it really is.
& Sylla these insults you put as an example in your first post, they could just as well motivate you to prove them wrong :D Apparently you come off as angry to 3 persons on tron... I'm sure you could change their opinions rather than censor them. :moustache:

As for the hurting of your feelings, I'm sure you'll manage to pull through :)
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

Z-Man wrote:You mean ENABLE_CHAT, TEXT_OUT has no effect in multiplayer. I probably should put that one up for a vote. Like this.
Entering "TEXT_OUT 0" on my client turns off all text output in multiplayer.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yeah, but you have to do this while online. You can't set it in a configuration file, it'll get overridden when you join a new server. What you can do (and even do so locally, it will affect recordings that you play back) is make the console tiny with CONSOLE_ROWS (small) and CONSOLE_COLUMNS (large).
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

syllabear wrote:Try looking beyond your own problems with me at the crux of the matter, instead of just digging your head in the sand and pointing out my hypocrisy, when I'm trying to provide more of a neutral view in this by detatching myself from it.
what problems? i never cared what people in spec chat said about us because I thought I know them well enough. if you're surprised at the agreement with TicTac's opinion on you, then it's good that someone touched this nerve. as titan already said, prove them wrong.
thanks to the recordings and forums i've seen like 20 people who said that I'm a terrible defender, a boring attacker or a useless sweeper, and they didn't say that because they were jealous. I'm happy that some players are honest and help analyzing each other.
syllabear wrote:Any problems any of you have with me, please bring them up in PM, I am not trying to sort out the "Sylla is a dick/hypocrite/he hurt my feelings :(" issues you may all have in this topic.
or go to our site to see how to solve this in a rather elegant way. :)
TicTac

Post by TicTac »

Oh Syllabear...

I'm not even going to argue with your post. You know I could screen shot a thousand things that you go on and on about all the time when I'm present. One thing I will say, I think it is pretty disgusting that you take things out of context out of the whole picture and try to make other people look extremely bad when you, in reality, do the same thing yourself.

I know I'm not perfect and I know I do things I shouldn't do, but at least I don't go through the message history and pull out random screenshots and post them on arma forums for everyone to read (which doesn't really bother me anyway).

No reason for me to bring any thing up to you in P.M. That would lead no where!

Anyways,
TicTac

P.S. Are you bipolar? It seems that sometimes you are nice to me in mega pro then other times you aren't? Ahh! You must have not read that chapter about bipolar disorder in medical school yet, nevermind.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

Can't be bothered with this anymore, all i asked is that in the future people can be polite in spectator in ladle, just as the players on opposing teams are.

If you can't do that, well, I guess I'll just have to live with it.
ps I'm not tokoyami