CTF Tournament 2

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Wind
Core Dumper

CTF Tournament 2

Post by Wind »

Hello all,
As most of you are aware the first tournament ran somewhat smoothly with a few bumps here and there, but hopefully those problems will be fixed as this tournament progresses.

One of the main complaints that I have heard from tronners is the day the competition took place. So for this second tournament I would like to try holding it on a Saturday (still ladle time 1pm EST). I was debating between Saturday March 12th, or Saturday March 19th. Personally I would go with the 19th, however since I want the community to be involved in this I will make a poll for the date.

For this tournament we were hoping to get servers from Tru, CT LIV, PlzResUs, Pre, CT USA, Animuson, and Sinewav. As you can see your servers are still posted up, however if there is a conflict and for some reason you cannot host one of your servers, please let us know a.s.a.p.
You will also notice that we are short one US server. If anyone would be willing to host one that would help us out a ton.
On a positive note I believe that Tru successfully integrated some of the patches into his server, and he was able to fix the bugs that appeared. So this tournament will have less spec talk.

We have been criticized for our lack of information in the info section of the wiki page. Feel free to make suggestions on what you feel needs to be added there.

New Rule: Some people did not realize that having a global authentication was needed for this tournament, so I just want to make it clear now. When signing up your team please make sure to have two or more team leaders in case one cannot make it.

The tournament will still be held at ladle time, however the date is yet to be decided. The wiki page will be locked a day before the tournament.

Make sure to vote on the day that works best for you! The poll will be closed March 1st!

EDIT: March 19th Saturday 1pm EST! Official date. Please inform me if those from before cannot host a tourney server. Sign-ups will be closed on the 18th.
Last edited by Wind on Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Proud leader of ~'Untitled Clan
http://www.uclan.darkbb.com
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Re: CTF Tournament 2

Post by Desolate »

Polls still aren't working.
The submitted form was invalid.
Wind
Core Dumper

Post by Wind »

oO Im not sure whats wrong.. Please help. All the settings for the poll seem correct Poll Question, Poll Answers, 1 selection, 8 days run time...

If I cannot get this working by the end of the day, then please post your vote for the date below and we will tally it up by March 1st
Proud leader of ~'Untitled Clan
http://www.uclan.darkbb.com
Tru
Round Winner

Post by Tru »

can teams and servers be randomized somehow it used to be for ladle?
Image Image Image Image Image Image
teen
Round Winner

Post by teen »

Why is the tournament in the middle of saturday. That is just wrong.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Wind wrote:We have been criticized for our lack of information in the info section of the wiki page. Feel free to make suggestions on what you feel needs to be added there.
You should take a look at the Ladle Operations page. I think all you really need is a short blurb about sign-ups (who, how, when) and game rules (best of 3, suicides). Inside of those, you could expand a little troubleshooting, like what to do with late-comers and substitutes.

If you want to PM me a few key points (and what you want to copy from the Ladle) I can probably write up a good body of text for us to get started. Then it's just simple edits after that.
Tru
Round Winner

Post by Tru »

teen wrote:Why is the tournament in the middle of saturday. That is just wrong.
I also thought it is wrong for usa.
What do you think if to move it a couple/3 hours later
Image Image Image Image Image Image
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Tru wrote:
teen wrote:Why is the tournament in the middle of saturday. That is just wrong.
I also thought it is wrong for usa.
What do you think if to move it a couple/3 hours later
Because then we make it inconvenient for EU players. I fear there is a great problem with the timing of this tournament. The possible number of team mixed with the longer finals could potentially make this tournament run even longer than Ladle. (By the way, I was on the CTF team that played the most games last event. I was exhausted at the end. We were all getting a little bored/tired.)

In other words, fewer players per team could mean more teams. The first tournament used a 32-team bracket. Then next probably won't but you can see how we can easily slip into extra finals. Also, best of 3 in CTF is different than in Ladle. A CTF match is a timed event - 20 minutes. If competition increases and strategy changes, this could mean regular hour-long finals.

One thing we can talk about now, early in the tournament's history, is how to keep the event timely. This way we avoid future problems with time-related issues. If you saw my post on lagtest.net, you would have seen me suggest a total reconfiguration of scoring and matches. The current scoring let's people "work the scoreboard." That's why "team-suicides" (a better term than mass-suicides) are forbidden. We can eliminate that rule by changing the scoring and increasing the number of rounds. And a round doesn't have to end after 5 minutes. That DZ is there because of a bug in the game -- one that was fixed over 2 years ago. Remove the DZ and make matches 10 rounds long, and I think you've solved a lot of problems. If it's still hard to reach 100 points in a reasonable amount of time, adjust kill/flag/win until it's adequate.
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

sinewav wrote:One thing we can talk about now, early in the tournament's history, is how to keep the event timely. This way we avoid future problems with time-related issues. If you saw my post on lagtest.net, you would have seen me suggest a total reconfiguration of scoring and matches. The current scoring let's people "work the scoreboard." That's why "team-suicides" (a better term than mass-suicides) are forbidden. We can eliminate that rule by changing the scoring and increasing the number of rounds. And a round doesn't have to end after 5 minutes. That DZ is there because of a bug in the game -- one that was fixed over 2 years ago. Remove the DZ and make matches 10 rounds long, and I think you've solved a lot of problems. If it's still hard to reach 100 points in a reasonable amount of time, adjust kill/flag/win until it's adequate.
Very nice sine. I've always wanted more rounds for ctf.

And also, about the tournament time, It's important that we be conscious of all (locational) groups of people playing. There are ctfers from North America, Europe, and Australia. The North American and European populations each individually outweigh the Australian one (I don't think AU has more than 5 ctfers). So the tourney starting around 2000gmt should work for EU/NA. But that's still like 3am for Australian players, and that's part of the reason people want to try the tournament on Saturdays instead of Sundays, because then the AU players only need sacrifice their Sunday mornings, and not their Mondays'.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
teen
Round Winner

Post by teen »

Would it be an inconvenience if the tournament was held at like 8am eastern time.
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

5am PDT :(
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

I don't think it went smoothly. I missed out on it. Someone should invite me to their team. :p
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

LOL!
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Since I was in the mood, I went and added more detail about the tournament. I tried to make it reflect "common practice." Please, please, please read it over and let's work out any issues immediately. This is a work in progress, of course, and many changes will be made over the next few weeks I'm sure.

Revised Tournament Page

Also, I couldn't get the CtfServer template edited to say "CTF Tournament 2". I don't know why it wasn't working for me. I'm not very good with this wiki stuff.
ousous
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by ousous »

I think the tournament should be hosted at a time not so late in the evening, especially Saturday. I mean 8 PM saturday night lots of people have plans.