#armagetron.pickup [RULES]

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

#armagetron.pickup [RULES]

Post by MrsKsr »

Hello lovelies.

For those of you who abide by our rules, ignore this topic. But for those of you who find it difficult to follow the link clearly posted in the topic of the channel; please pay close attention and take heed.

~ Channel language is English.

~ Admins can give arbitrary bans or slaps if you don't show up. If you're going away don't forget to !remove. If you realize you can't play when your game is announced, shout out loud that you need a sub.

~ If a player leaves mid-game please report it to the channel. The player will be dealt with in accordance to the reason behind it.

~ If you sign up to a game, you commit to playing it. There's no game switching after your game was announced.

~ Do not re-!add if you're already playing.

~ Players must remain in the server until the winner of the match is announced. Leaving a match a few seconds early and attempting to re-!add before other players is forbidden.

~ If you sub in for !lastgame, please remember to !remove.

~ Pickup servers are only meant to be used by the pickup channel's users in the course of a pickup game. Any other use of it is subject to banning from the servers themselves and/or from the pickup channel.

~ Keep the channel friendly and drama-free.

~ The in-game privileges given to captains are only meant to ease the picking of players. Kicking a player from a team mid-game is forbidden, except in the case of a network timeout.

~ Help newer players pick their players in case they are captain and don't know the other players very well.

~ Please keep silent during picks. Unneeded chatter confuses captains a lot when picking.

~ Please keep chatting to a minimum during pickup matches, in respect for other players.

~ Admins have the right to distribute bans from the channel for up to 24hours for 'disturbing the peace' during games.

ALL rules have been and will remain posted while the channel was/is in operation here; https://sites.google.com/site/aapickup/rules
FAILURE TO ABIDE BY THESE RULES WILL RESULT IN BANS/KICKS.

The admins are there to keep the peace; If you have an issue take it up with either myself or epsy (channel owners).

For the last time, stop whining. We made this channel for the enjoyment of all, the constant arguing/whining/bickering is doing nothing but making us want to close the channel and this is not what we want.

Thanks for your time.
"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one;
I hope some day you will join us, and the world can live as one"

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

I believe that to truly love is the ultimate expression of the will to live.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: #armagetron.pickup [RULES]

Post by Phytotron »

Damn, I thought the pickup thing was just a way to quickly gather players for a casual...pickup game. Didn't realise there were a bunch of formal rules associated with it (which kinda negates the concepts of "casual" and "pickup game," methinks). Wow. How's that fun? Seems to me there's some self-fulfilling prophecy in there.

-- casual observation
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

Take it elsewhere Phytotron. You don't play in the pickup games at all and this has nothing to do with you. It was posted on the public forum for ease of access for those who find it difficult to get to it's own site. Don't start throwing allegations around like you're high and mighty.

The pickup channel is enjoyed by many people and bans are only given for good reasons. At the start there were very little rules, but as with most things, it isn't possible to maintain a good system with no guidelines. If you have something to say that pertains to moving forward, please share, but if you want to do nothing else than put the channel, or for that matter the admins, down, I'd rather you save it.

Thanks.

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

MrsKsr wrote:Take it elsewhere Phytotron... The pickup channel is enjoyed by many people and bans are only given for good reasons.
Plus One.

No really, the way pickup games work is really very cool. It is a lot like playing ball with your friends in the park. There is a fair way to pick captains, and captains pick teams. It works great and it's tons of fun. The above stated rules are just an extension of common courtesy, really.

It's like the old arcade. You want to play the game someone is on, so you put your quarter up on the panel. When people see that quarter they know you're next in line. !add-ing is like that.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Good grief, overreact and mischaracterise. I'll go flog myself.
akira
Core Dumper

Post by akira »

"I didn't know fire would be hot."

Anyways: the reason behind MrsKsr posting this is that some players have troubles finding that link labelled "rules" on the site, thus not being informed about them.

Also as she said: Thanks to the usual ignorant imbeciles it was not possible to keep it at a self-organizing level. See ladle. See non-virtual world.

edit: Just saw that Bubbles already made that link-joke. So much for posting at 3 AM.
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

Phytotron wrote:Damn, I thought the pickup thing was just a way to quickly gather players for a casual...pickup game. Didn't realise there were a bunch of formal rules associated with it (which kinda negates the concepts of "casual" and "pickup game," methinks). Wow. How's that fun? Seems to me there's some self-fulfilling prophecy in there.

-- casual observation
I don't see it as "casual", even though it might be called that. For me pickup games are a lot more serious than casual play in G5's and a lot more enjoyable because it's organized, the skill feels higher too. Without rules, the organization and thus the point of it all would be gone.

This is all "imo", of course.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

gawdzilla wrote:...pickup games are a lot more serious than casual play in G5's and a lot more enjoyable because it's organized, the skill feels higher too. Without rules, the organization and thus the point of it all would be gone.
I'll second that.
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

could it be possible to get a bit easier way of picking players for your team?
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

Depends on what you mean, anyway discuss it with me on msn or something, I just want to keep this thread for rule based issues :P

þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

Let's do these more frequently, pickup > public fort
animal
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by animal »

good to know :pdog:
CyBoRg SeX TaLe

Post by CyBoRg SeX TaLe »

Hi guys,

Pickup looks like a lot of fun, never tried it. I play every game type but racing. what game-type(s) are pickup? I'm still discussing whether or not I am going to try this out. Please post anything that may help and your opinions of pickup. sorry for not making a new topic and posting this in your topic mrksr. thanks guys!

CyBoRg SeX TaLe
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

It is fortress and sumo.

The sumo game mode is hardly used.

6v6 Fortress on a euro server is the main attraction.
dariv
Round Winner

Post by dariv »

The main feature is the organisation. To play, you go to an IRC chat box thing and type "!add fort6.eu", then you get added to the game. Once 12 people add, you get a beep and the game starts. So it offers something different for people who want a more organised match.

:arrow: Re: advertising, I think this rule is unenforceable. People will always advertise it and no matter how annoying it is to have people leave, there's really nothing to be done. If the people you're playing with leave, too bad, they never had an obligation to stay in the first place.

PS. Thanks to all the organisers of pickup, I really enjoy these games.
pLxDari - Challenge us!