Ladle 42 Voting Discussion

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Ladle 42 Voting Discussion

Post by INW »

What I am saying is even if a "fair" or "equal" or "balanced" bracket is made, it will become unbalanced or unfair or unequal with upsets. Even if we seeded all the teams, it wouldn't be "fair"...
Concord

Post by Concord »

INW wrote:What I am saying is even if a "fair" or "equal" or "balanced" bracket is made, it will become unbalanced or unfair or unequal with upsets. Even if we seeded all the teams, it wouldn't be "fair"...
I'm sorry, I just don't understand how upsets make it unfair or unequal. Are you saying that efforts to make the brackets even to begin with are in vain, because they will not effect the ultimate outcome? I would agree with that (going back to full randomization is something I would support). I do know that the current system in place systematically makes one bracket weaker than the other, and will devalue the final. Dropping to 2 seeds is much better than the system of 4 we currently have. Perhaps you can explain more?
INW

Post by INW »

Concord wrote:
INW wrote:What I am saying is even if a "fair" or "equal" or "balanced" bracket is made, it will become unbalanced or unfair or unequal with upsets. Even if we seeded all the teams, it wouldn't be "fair"...
I'm sorry, I just don't understand how upsets make it unfair or unequal. Are you saying that efforts to make the brackets even to begin with are in vain, because they will not effect the ultimate outcome? I would agree with that (going back to full randomization is something I would support). I do know that the current system in place systematically makes one bracket weaker than the other, and will devalue the final. Dropping to 2 seeds is much better than the system of 4 we currently have. Perhaps you can explain more?
Exactly.
Concord

Post by Concord »

ok
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

It doesn't appear we have a concrete answer on how to proceed with our current policy of seeding; at least not written in a succinct format that allows teams to easily understand and vote on it. Should we simply vote to "keep seeding" or "return to full randomization" for this month, then continue this discussion later?
INW

Post by INW »

sinewav wrote:It doesn't appear we have a concrete answer on how to proceed with our current policy of seeding; at least not written in a succinct format that allows teams to easily understand and vote on it. Should we simply vote to "keep seeding" or "return to full randomization" for this month, then continue this discussion later?
I think we should have voting like this:

Seeding: 0 Seeds (Randomization) | 2 Seeds | 4 Seeds (Current) | 8 Seeds | Other (Provide # of Seeds)

I think those should be the votes.

That should cover the seeding I think.
Concord

Post by Concord »

could I suggest the addition of captains placing themselves on the challenge board, that's the original method, and I think we've matured to a point we can handle it.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

thats how we do it already...?
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Concord

Post by Concord »

no it's not. We sign up to play and get assigned to a spot on the challenge board. It used to be that captains just put themselves on the bracket.
-*inS*-
Round Winner

Post by -*inS*- »

Concord wrote:could I suggest the addition of captains placing themselves on the challenge board, that's the original method, and I think we've matured to a point we can handle it.
+1
INW

Post by INW »

So we get to choose who we play against?
Concord

Post by Concord »

yeah, pretty much
Lord Pein
Round Winner

Post by Lord Pein »

-*inS*- wrote:
Concord wrote:could I suggest the addition of captains placing themselves on the challenge board, that's the original method, and I think we've matured to a point we can handle it.
+1
+1
http://i52.tinypic.com/11ipyet.png
Thursday July 22nd 2010: Airman's team beat Lizmatic's team in fortress.
DDMJ wrote:Good idea...but what if the arma player is Luke-jr :?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Concord wrote:It used to be that captains just put themselves on the bracket.
And here is the event that led us away from that system. Good old unlucky #13. Not that I'm superstitious in any way. It's a good read; a critical moment in Ladle history.

There were a few bad boys who made changes by shuffling two teams around after the deadline. The justification was that the rules were not clear enough (I seem to remember something similar happening just 6 months ago :wink:). So, if you really want this as an option, I would suggest you take the time to write up a very, clear, concise set of RULES regarding the process. Make it as airtight as possible.
INW

Post by INW »

I am confused to how the "old systems" worked sense my first ladle was in the 20's. How did that work?