Ladle 42 Voting Discussion

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Ladle 42 Voting Discussion

Post by Lackadaisical »

Every team picks their own place on the bracket, first comes first serve. Teams can change to an empty spot or switch with another teams place if both teams agree, up to an hour/day before the ladle actually starts.

I think a nice test to see if we are actually mature enough now is to see if the people involved back then still stand by their actions ;)

ps INW can you please say since when you mean since instead of sense, sometimes it makes your posts unnecessarily hard to comprehend (I recall one instance where you said '[..] sense it make no sense' which made no sense at all )
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

I really need to work on getting those two words correct. Sorry :(
Magic
Core Dumper

Post by Magic »

INW wrote:I am confused to how the "old systems" worked sense my first ladle was in the 20's. How did that work?
The team captain of the first team to sign up would pick his spot on the challenge board then the next team captain would pick his.
BTD
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by BTD »

couldn't teams take advantage of this, and put themselves against a less skilled team?
THEred
Core Dumper

Post by THEred »

BTD wrote:couldn't teams take advantage of this, and put themselves against a less skilled team?
red
ElmosWorld
Match Winner

Post by ElmosWorld »

I believe it was said that a team could move to an open spot. So as long as there was an open spot, a team could move to it.

I don't think this is a good idea. We want new people and new teams to play but the only open spots are gonna be against the best teams, no new team is gonna sign up to face the best team.
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

the best teams don't always have a seed, i mean doesn't pRu have one this ladle?

ID is considered a bad team and did really good against SP last ladle, there's no excuse and losing should make you strive to be better
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I see this hilarious scenario: GenericOpenTeam signs up early and a few days later GreatTeam puts themselves in the same opening round. Worried, GenericOpenTeam moves to another open bracket and is thusly followed by GreatTeam. A few times. Until there is nowhere left to run and GenericOpenTeam is forced to play a different GreatTeam, in a sense being punished for signing up early.

Eventually, teams are continually trying to "beat the clock", much the same way as bidding on a hot item on eBay (refreshing your browser every few seconds until you finally hit submit). No one signs up until the last minute, resulting in some interesting cross-edits. In the end, clan-mates GoodTeamA and GoodTeamB pull a last second switch, which leads one of them to a Ladle victory. Participants feel swindled, and 6 fiery pages get added to the Ladle thread (and two 1-week bans while we're at it). :twisted:

Ideally, teams will voluntarily pick opponents of equal skill level to play because it's more fun. That would be a lovely reality. But there are always those for whom winning...is...EVERYTHING.
~Tu~Venom

Post by ~Tu~Venom »

Apparently I can't remember the password to my other account, but I think that complete randomisation is the best way. How is it fair at all that Captains who register first can pick their slots, or who to play?

If you randomise, you may get a bad draw... but then so may everyone else. It makes the tournament layout very equal, other than the differing skill rates of the teams :)
-*inS*-
Round Winner

Post by -*inS*- »

to address all of your concerns: we will most likely be using a 32 team bracket. ask me if you dont understand what that means
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

sinewav wrote:I see this hilarious scenario: GenericOpenTeam signs up early and a few days later GreatTeam puts themselves in the same opening round. Worried, GenericOpenTeam moves to another open bracket and is thusly followed by GreatTeam. A few times. Until there is nowhere left to run and GenericOpenTeam is forced to play a different GreatTeam, in a sense being punished for signing up early.
:lol:

Note that there's a lot more teams now than when sign ups were put on the board/bracket by captains..interpret that as you like

Concord I think you're over analysing and the inconsistency that is the basis for your theory is easily quashed by more inconsistency

Furthermore no one has mentioned that a seeded team doesn't have to play an opening round (favourable imo but easily changed if thought otherwise)
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

Again the goal is not to create great brackets, it to create even brackets. Self-determine match-ups naturally do this. Also, please recognize that the best team wins regardless of the brackets.

Hoax, that's a vast misunderstanding of what I wrote. There are inconsistencies, yes. The current system aggravates those to an extent where it becomes a problem and relies on specific random occurrences to offset that systematic problem.

sine.wav, why would a GreatTeam show the whole community that they have no confidence in their ability to beat some opponent other than GenericOpenTeam? There's not really motive for the type of scenario you lay out. Our community is small, and care for reputation and other's opinions are powerful forces. Especially now, where there have been 41 Ladles. People are much more concerned with people recognizing their ability than winning trophies. This is because trophies are numerous and because people have won them and not gotten much out of it. People want recognition, and just for dariv, I have evidence. The best players of 2010 thread, the popularity of prediction threads and in the past of power rankings. Captain's choice should work.
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

Winning > losing.

You will eventually have to face hard teams, so why wear yourself out...
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Concord wrote:There's not really motive for the type of scenario you lay out.
:roll: C'mon man, give me a break. Even though my own team has beat CT in numerous practice matches, I'm still not going to deliberately sign up against them in the opening round. I want an easier target to warm up with, if for no other reason than to make it to the second round. Why? To guarantee I get to play more Ladle time. Going out in the first round sucks. Period. Duh.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Concord wrote:Hoax, that's a vast misunderstanding of what I wrote. There are inconsistencies, yes. The current system aggravates those to an extent where it becomes a problem and relies on specific random occurrences to offset that systematic problem.
I'm not sold on it without further ladle results as I don't think the bottom bracket is getting weaker. The only weaker one is 41 because of pru imo. If you turn out to be right and there's definitely a pattern emerging then wd to you because I don't see the system that means you will be right 100%
I think the benefits of beeing seeded outweigh chance discrediting them anyway

Also I don't think seeding was ever supposed to make the brackets even ?