Starting Up Monthly CTF Tournament

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

PokeMaster
Match Winner

Re: Starting Up Monthly CTF Tournament

Post by PokeMaster »

Sunday's seem to be the best days for people to be on tron. Just choose a different Sunday from that of the ladle (duh) :D

Also, a word about finding the exact right tournament conditions. It's good to probe everybody here and get a feel for what it should be like, but keep in mind that tournaments change to fit the community with time, as exampled by the ladle. It's good to make this first tourney as good as possible, but don't worry about making it perfect. Some quick polls should take care of most things, and then we can all work together afterward to make necessary changes.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Well, after you guys decide a date, I would recommend all interested parties make a colorful instant-chat to spam-promote WwCTF. Hell, I might even help. I was playing CTF the other day. My friend's 10yo saw me playing Arma and wanted to try. He saw a CTF server in the browser and was like. "oh I want to play there" and is now hooked. (/me feels a little ashamed.)
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

haha woo! another addict! And that spamming it (just to ww ctf) doesn't seem like a bad idea. There's a large (although mostly unorganized) player base there that would likely be very interested.
Wind
Core Dumper

Post by Wind »

Okay so another update. The tournament will be teams of 4v4. Each team will have one team leader that should sign up on the wiki page (once we get it all fixed up of course). There will be 7 servers up. A main tournament server will be up where people can meet up and get organized to head into the server, which they are assigned. Then followed by 3 US servers and 3 Euro servers. Based on the amount of people interested so far I think 6 servers should be more than necessary for the tournament. We can always add more if needed. The tournament will be up and running sometime mid February.

Also would R be interested in allowing us to use one of their U.S servers and Pru be interested in getting up a Euro server? This is just to get a variety of locations for the servers. ~'U. currently has enough but I believe only in two locations. I know our U.S servers are located in Nevada.. I believe Tru knows where our Euro servers are hosted so he will have to remind me.
Proud leader of ~'Untitled Clan
http://www.uclan.darkbb.com
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Wind: There are probably enough capable parties to warrant the creation of a IRC channel -- for CTF in general, not just tournaments. Having one available for organizing a tournament would be helpful for sure. Maybe if you can get enough regulars in the channel you can have frequent organized matches; which would stimulate the community. Perhaps something like #arma.ctf ? Or, does a channel like this already exist? Why don't you get the boys in _~R~_ to work on that... 8)
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

heh sine. to my knowledge, there's never been a channel like that before. I don't know how to register irc channels, but i know mya does, and I can't imagine it being that hard. I'll ask next chance I get.

Edit: Almost forgot :) yeah, we can definitely loan a server for this (Kansas location)
Tru
Round Winner

Post by Tru »

#arma.ctf looks good, I've already registered one.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Tru
Round Winner

Post by Tru »

I have prepared first version of settings which I want you to check
I carefully got together settings from pig sty cfg and WW ctf settings.
player_chat_wait_* I took from ladle settings.
win_zone_randomness changed to 0
win_zone_expansion changed to 22
spam_maxlen changed to 180.

Nothing else was changed.
http://ix.lv-vl.net/mct.cfg
Check if something is wrong, and I think that ladle access_level settings to add there would be nice
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Tru wrote:player_chat_wait_* I took from ladle settings.
win_zone_expansion changed to 22
I'm not so sure the 30 seconds of player chat wait will do any good in ctf (the effects of a new round and the very start of a round is very different from fortress), but rather disrupt the flow of the match. 5 is enough, or even 3 seconds.
This expansion rate makes it so a team with players near the corners in the end of a round will likely get undeserved score_win points. an expansion of 100 will just wipe the grid and start a new round, which is more "fair" in most if not all cases.

and

Code: Select all

SCORE_WIN 2
SCORE_KILL 1
SCORE_FLAG 4
LIMIT_SCORE 100
LIMIT_ROUNDS 4
We had countless debates about score_win and suicides at the start of a round, "back in the day" on lagtest forums, and basically all active players vouched for a higher score_win to make mass suicides less effective (and other pros as well). That way we might not have to forbid mass suicides (who's to enforce 'justice' without being unbiased or unfair?) but rather just remove them as an effective strategy.

Also, the low number of limit_rounds makes it, in some cases, rewarding to just hold the flag and wait for a deathzone if you're in the lead. That can make matches boring. & keep in mind that the Ww tourneys were 4/2/8 points and a 100 score limit, which means this score limit here is twice as high; what's the purpose of that?

If you already had this in mind, then nevermind my post. :)

And on a more personal note: Green vs purple makes it a lot harder (on my screen anyway.. blurry tails etc), can't we do the standard blue vs yellow? that seems to work well for everyone.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I'm going to back up Titanoboa on all points. Of course, if I had it my way the physics would be different too (not Fort physics though, and not a new map either). But it's a good start. I would even make SCORE_WIN 8, since killing an entire team on a map with respawning is hard, and those that fail to live deserve it in a way, haha.
regedit
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by regedit »

blue vs yellow?
I have not noticed anything wrong with Green vs Purple
Tru
Round Winner

Post by Tru »

I am tottaly agree with win_zone_expansion. but can we do voting again about scoring? new poll
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

That sounds good. How about these alternatives:

kill/flag/round

1 4 2 (current)
1 4 4
1 4 8

Having the flag equal 4 kills has worked well ever since i started playing ctf. we could possibly make a kill worth 2 and a flag 8 for no apparent reason, if we want to.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

1 4 8

Also, it seems to me 5v5 would be good. I'm not convinced the lag is that much greater with two more players. Of course, there should be a test server so we can check out colors/scores/lag. I'll try and be around next week to play.

As much as I complain about the players and settings in CTF, I really like the game itself. Maybe one day there will be "better" settings and more/good/interested players.
Wind
Core Dumper

Post by Wind »

I do have some bad news. Unfortunately this week as well as next I will have my final exams so I will not be able to help get the wiki page up till then. Unless tru wishes to post the link here and have other people help edit it, you guys may have to wait a bit. As for the Dz settings I agree with the fast dz eliminating all players at once. Also as for the 5v5, its not that I feel the 5th player would cause any substantial lag, it’s that the 5th player is completely unnecessary and simplifies the game a bit. Just my opinion.
Proud leader of ~'Untitled Clan
http://www.uclan.darkbb.com