Starting Up Monthly CTF Tournament

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

THEred
Core Dumper

Re: Starting Up Monthly CTF Tournament

Post by THEred »

gz!
red
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

gms
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

This was such great fun, I've missed this kind of highpaced action for so long!

I'm completely exhausted, thanks LoT, Rx, Nsfw and especially `'¢. & TX+sine for making that happen.

Hope to play you guys again. cya!

gm's
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

thanks U, congratz R, nice try sine+tx
Wind
Core Dumper

Post by Wind »

Congratz to R for winning this first tournament! I hope everyone had as much fun as I did :)
Special Recognition should go to:
Tru
Pre
Sinewav
Kyle
Animuson
PRU
(Ww)...
Thanks to these guys for hosting servers and bringing you this tournament.
I know there were some issues with organization in this tourney and I will address those issues in a new topic.

Also on another note: It was suggested to me that these tournaments should not be held monthly at first because people would want more of a build-up to get people interested. If this is still in agreement should the next couple tournaments be held in 2 months time and then start to go monthly? Or would you all prefer to start doing it monthly now? (Er I know i phrased some stuff in there a little weirdly but please let me know if you did not understand something I said)
Proud leader of ~'Untitled Clan
http://www.uclan.darkbb.com
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Recordings for 0.2.8.3.1 and no other version. Playback with earlier versions or 0.3 will result in you seemingly joining local games.

final_ctu-2.aarec (The real final)
final_ctu.aarec (One team waiting for the final)

semi_aot-2.aarec (again, this should be the real final)
semi_aot.aarec
semi_ctu.aarec

quarter_ani.aarec
quarter_aot.aarec
quarter_ctl-2.aarec
quarter_ctl-3.aarec
quarter_ctl.aarec
quarter_ctu.aarec
quarter_pre-2.aarec
quarter_pre.aarec
quarter_pru.aarec
quarter_tru.aarec
quarter_ww-2.aarec
quarter_ww-3.aarec
quarter_ww.aarec
second_ani.aarec
second_aot.aarec
second_ctl.aarec
second_ctu-2.aarec
second_ctu-3.aarec
second_ctu.aarec
second_pre.aarec
second_tru-2.aarec
second_tru.aarec
second_ww.aarec

first_pre.aarec
first_pru.aarec
first_tru.aarec

The server names are in the recording names; the 'first/second/quarter/semi/final' refers to the round I *think* was going on at that time. It was a bit chaotic and the requested pings for new match starts/finishes came in only for CT USA and AoT. So semis should be reliable, first round matches too, of course. Most second round matches should be mostly correct, but people switched servers and some recordings went black a lot earlier than I would have expected, so there's probably some losses. Quarters... all bets are off. It's probably a good idea if those actually watching the recordings tell us what's in them ;)
Thilo
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Thilo »

I know CTF isn't many of y'alls bag, but I think it's awesome that you came and participated. Last ladle was my first ever ladle.. and CTFers always thought of Forters as elitist slow people and Forters think CTFers are nub, but.. I guess it's cool to feel like the communities/interest are somewhat meshing and I'm glad you at least humored us by playing.

We've been stuck with Destiny's preferred settings in the past, but I agree with sine that settings could be tweaked a little bit to make the game mode more enjoyable... And that sounds like a good idea to me because I would enjoy RELEARNING EVERYTHING I'VE WORKED HARD TO MASTER IN THE PAST SIX YEARS.

Nonono I'm JK.. let's experiment with settings, I'm down.. just so long as it keeps its zippy, wiggly, fast-paced feel.

Anyway.. this was def up there with best CTF tourneys ever and I'm glad I "did what I had to do" to play.

<-- shoebat in case u dun no
<--- shoebat
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Thilo wrote:let's experiment with settings, I'm down.. just so long as it keeps its zippy, wiggly, fast-paced feel.
Totally. I'll be sure to write an essay about settings when the time comes, haha.

Thanks to Windrider, PokeMaster, and all the organizers, sponsors, and participants for a VERY successful CTF tournament. I hope we eventually think of something to increase competition between the tournaments so the CTF community can become more robust.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Gg's I had fun & gz to R

Is this really going to be monthly? The frequency of tournies is devaluing them. I guess who cares though if they're populated & people are enjoying them
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

Awesome awesome awesome tourney. Thanks to everybody who put this together (mostly Wind and Tru) and to all the server contributors.

I'd have to agree with hoax. Tourneys in general are populating like rabbits. They're fun and all, but they're really starting to lose value. If ctf becomes monthly, then we have 3 tourneys a month (ctf ladle and sumo) plus tron league matches. That's a lot! Maybe it should be up to the players, though, to decide which tourneys are right for them, and when and where they want to participate.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Shock
Core Dumper

Post by Shock »

Thumbs up to Rogue for the win!
and great job hosting, ~U. excellent
Is the time going to stay the same for possible future tournies? ..I hate having work e'ery sunday xdd
sexy beast

Post by sexy beast »

What if we we held one big tourney every 4 months so three times a year but there were little ones every month

so the first three tourneys would give the large tourney seeds so that we would have rankings and such

just an idea tell me what you think
SexyBeast
Magic
Core Dumper

Post by Magic »

Or have 4 tourneys a month and participate In the ones you want to participate in
sexy beast

Post by sexy beast »

but that doesnt address the problem of having to many tourneys it actually makes it worse
SexyBeast
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

sexy beast wrote:but that doesnt address the problem of having to many tourneys it actually makes it worse
There is really no problem because tournaments self-regulate. If there are too many scheduled, people will simply join the ones they want and the others will die off due to lack of participation.

Considering the very good turn out for CTF-1 (it was hard to break 8 teams when Wild West hosted them) I would think a monthly/bi-monthly tournament would be no problem, especially if it were held on Saturdays opposite of other big events. Besides, most CTF players don't even play Fort or Sumo, and most people in Ladle and WST see CTF as a novelty. But the crossover is good for the Arma community as a whole.

Even if the number of CTF teams dropped down to 8 or less, that's still very good. It's more important for the tournaments to continue regularly than to have an annual event. And a smaller number of teams might indicate strong commitment but in a concentrated area. The ongoing tournament should stimulate the CTF community and increase competitiveness by giving players something to strive for.*

*I make this assumption because all too often I hear CTF players say "I only play serious in a tournament." But with regular tournaments, they can't afford to slack off in regular games.