International Challenge - Discussion

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: World Cup?

Post by Concord »

a World Cup is not a open to all competition, it's the best 6-8 players from each country. If you want to do an international challenge, where you can only play with people of your nationality, call it that. A World Cup is something different.
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

Concord wrote:It's just a not a world cup if there is a possibility of teams from the same country competing against each other. Thus, 1 team per nation.
do you think the number of players grow exponencially? we do not have enough fort players to make one team per country without merging, get over it... it's not perfect, but it's better than nothing
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

gawdzilla wrote:Maybe Tank or someone else can make a special forum for this at worldcup.armagetronad.net, I'm unable to do so with the current organizer. :roll:
I can do it, but I think it may be prudent to wait a bit yet until we work out which countries are participating at least.

The reason I'm interested in this is because it seems genuinely fun. If it's only Titanoboa and myself representing Sweden I'm good with that because it's a fun thing. I'd definitely not be playing just to win, but to try something different. So far there seems to be an overwhelmingly positive response to the idea which I think is great. If it's not a true "World Cup" in the sense of Fifa, that's fine. But it's convenient to call it that and to play the opening in its style.

East coast and west coast US is a great idea, because I think what we're really looking at here is possibly the largest scale tournament to date in Armagetron. Geographic neighbours would work for teams as well I think. Tit and I can get together with noob13, and anyone else from Norway or Denmark and make a Scandinavia team. We've got the interest of at least 60 players so far, and it seems like a lot of people are registering just to post up that they're interested. 32 four player teams is 128 players... I think we can do this.
Concord

Post by Concord »

I could get over merging. But call it whatever you want, it's not a World Cup as long as there are multiple teams from countries. It's just another competition but with teams sorted by nationality.

Call it an International Challenge or something else. The term World Cup has a specific meaning.
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

To attempt to appease those against the term world cup, would a mod rename this to Internation Challenge - Discussion. Thanks in advance.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Concord wrote:Call it an International Challenge or something else. The term World Cup has a specific meaning.
OK. To me "World Cup" is a bit more flexible, but I can see how some people could be bothered with how I've been using it. I'm just not a sport person.

Now that worldcup.armagetronad.net is out of the picture... I think internationalchallenge.armagetronad.net is a bit long. Any better ideas for a shorter url? I don't particularly like ic.armagetronad.net as it doesn't say what it is really. How's challenge.armagetronad.net sound?
milan
Average Program

Re: International Challenge - Discussion

Post by milan »

IMHO term "World Cup" is the reason most of the players are signing up for it. Its straight forward, and people know what it is. International challenge says nothing and certanly wouldn't attract so many people (I know I'm late with this comment since it's all ready changed). Why be so complicated and force upon everyone a disscusion thats purely academic and has no real meaning? Hope this will not ruin it.
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

yeah I have to agree with Milan, world cup is a better name for it and why do we have to complicate so much? :/ its not about the name, its about the game..
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

agreed with milan
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

+1 to milan.

How many countries could raise 6 players, and that's assuming everyone could mkae it, probably not even 8.
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

It seems quite a few people have a problem with it, but going off an idea sylla gave me, why not name it Fort Cup? fortcup.armagetronad.net is reasonable, and it sounds better than "international challenge."
Corn1
Core Dumper

Post by Corn1 »

I also +1 milan.

World Cup is a good name for it, and if the ability to host a competition with only the best players of different countries comes to us, then we can just update the description of the tournament as we have done through the years with TRONIC.
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

Before we start making the mods rename back and forth, lets take a majority rule here, so far it seems that most prefer world cup. Those who don't, understand that this doesn't have to be exactly like the Fifa world cup, as was previously mentioned. The sole purpose is to have some fun and competitive matches. Let's be flexible so it will actually work well.
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

We're debating over a name. I can see each side of the argument, how it's great to name it something that will attract as many people as possible, and how naming it one way would in a way bastardize the term. But we're still debating over a name. I think it should be the least of our worries.

We should be honest about our goals though. We want to try to get the biggest tron competition ever and that shouldn't be hindered by the number of participants from each country. If a country has more than enough players, let the players create multiple teams, and if a country has less than enough for a full team, either let them play like that or team up with other nations. (I personally think teaming up would be a better alternative for those countries, but maybe you'd want to ask those people).

Name it whatever you want. Maybe take a poll if necessary. But I think we don't need to debate a name as much as we currently are.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Concord

Post by Concord »

milan wrote:IMHO term "World Cup" is the reason most of the players are signing up for it. Its straight forward, and people know what it is. International challenge says nothing and certanly wouldn't attract so many people (I know I'm late with this comment since it's all ready changed). Why be so complicated and force upon everyone a disscusion thats purely academic and has no real meaning? Hope this will not ruin it.
If we are to call it a World Cup, then it ought to be a World Cup. It's quite simple. Call things as they are.

Feel free to ignore me, just don't expect me to participate.