Broadcasting the Ladle

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Nelhybel
Round Winner

Broadcasting the Ladle

Post by Nelhybel »

(Not sure if this should go under competitions or general, so please feel free to move if it is felt it is in the wrong place.)

What ever happened to broadcasting the ladle on holyshit tv or whatever it was called? I really enjoyed listening to it/watching during Ladle 33, and I think you guys did it in Ladle 32 also. Then the brackets weren't necessarily apt for wide-spread viewing of the of finals in Ladle 34, so those weren't broadcasted (or is the term podcasted? :P), and nobody has brought up the subject ever since. Just curious if this is in store for the future, who was in charge of it, and what the community can do to try to make it happen again, as I'm only one of many who enjoyed it!
Feel free to contact me here or on the grid if you would like assistance or support in beginning a relationship with Jesus Christ.
---
uNa| United Noobs of Armagetron Forums
-=}ID< Immortal Dynasty Forums
_~`Ww_ Wild West Forums
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Broadcasting the Ladle

Post by epsy »

I'd be happy to resume producing of this, but the main caster from here, sine, couldn't really do that anymore for reasons beyond his control. So give me sine or a main caster that is comfortable with speaking on a mic and knows arma roughly well, and I'll get the rest rolling.
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

Not to mention that he's also in a clan now, and won't be able to cast any matches that he is in or is in the same round as.

Unless you can get a caster who is consistently never in the ladle, it's probably necessary to get multiple people from different clans/groups who can fill in for each other when they don't make the semis or the finals.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

I think a bigger pool would be good, since then you could pick people who won't be biased against either clans.

I'd volunteer myself for this, since Tu is gonna be out in the first or second round for a while to come.
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Yeah, it's hard for me to commit to anything right now. I loved doing the shoutcast and would totally do it again once my life is in order (when you see the AoT servers back up, you'll know my life is OK again). And I am on a Ladle team now, but this might not be a problem. Team Unknown has a very healthy roster and I'm sure I won't play every Ladle.

If seeding the brackets goes over well next month and we have exciting finals like we expect, then we might want to look back into the shoutcast.

:D Anyone else interested in commentary?
Corn1
Core Dumper

Post by Corn1 »

I love listening to that commentary, and remember to get FOR3CAS7 again.
Pr3
Round Winner

Post by Pr3 »

Could always record the the finals from an AAREC and have someone comment on it; maybe commentary from the people involved will add to the content. Should eliminate the problem of who is available.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

live commentary is always more fun to hear imo

and this was about broadcasting ("streaming") the ladle
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Well, I've spent the last five hours researching solutions. There is no way I can do this by myself since I just don't know enough about the technology and don't have enough incentive or time to teach myself (could take many months with work and all). The best solution I found would have been VLC media media player, but the audio is broken for desktop streaming and there doesn't appear to be a way around it, so that's pretty much useless. I guess if I wanted to point a camera at my computer screen that might work, but man would it look bad, haha.

However, it looks like I might have time to resume commentary. My work schedule seems to have the next few months open for Sunday shoutcasting. I'm bummed there is no one here who could set me up with a simple streaming solution for Linux. Then again, nothing is simple in Linux. I guess I should buy a Mac if I want simple. Oh well.

Where is this cat nowadays?
epsy wrote:I'd be happy to resume producing of this, but the main caster from here, sine, couldn't really do that anymore for reasons beyond his control. So give me sine or a main caster that is comfortable with speaking on a mic and knows arma roughly well, and I'll get the rest rolling.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I can comment the next ladle in German if anyone likes to watch that ><

here are some links I found using google, don't know if these programs are good (only for Windows/Mac):

http://www.livestream.com/platform/procaster

(in combination with VAC, according to this)

For Linux users:
http://www.ws4gl.org/

edit: here's a quick example (with depeche mode instead of audio commentary, and low video quality :P ). i'll have a better connection next week so if pru loses next ladle maybe i can set something up before finals begin. if not, someone else will have to do it :)

but at least the audio is streamed without any gaps, even if the video would need some tweaking
MaZuffeR
Core Dumper

Post by MaZuffeR »

In linux you can use WebcamStudio with Livestream's webcaster, but the quality is not very good and running WebcamStudio affects the framerate in armagetron a lot and also makes it weirdly choppy for me.
winner of: Spoon, 3rd, 6th, 9th, 11th, 18th, 19th, 33rd, 34th and 48th Ladle.
Retired since 07/2012
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

seeing word's video, I think this would be the best lol
I guess if I wanted to point a camera at my computer screen that might work, but man would it look bad, haha.
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

I researched this before. The only way I can see that would work would be as follows. You would use a voice chat channel to handle the commentary, mumble would be ideal. VLC can integrate the audio stream and video stream into one stream. I tested that part, and it works fine. You would stream that up to a server that takes the incoming stream, and via VLC multicasts it. If you only did that, it would only be visible via a VLC client. Ideally, one of the more web savvy people on this forum would be willing to setup a website that would take the stream and display it via JPlayer, or some similar solution. I really don't have the web skills to set that part of it up or I would. If anybody who has the right skillset wants to put in the needed work, I have a server and will setup the needed server-side things. I DO NOT have the needed web skills or time to learn them.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

compguygene wrote:If you only did that, it would only be visible via a VLC client.
That should be fine, shouldn't it? I don't know, but shouldn't it be possible to make a link that opens VLC with the stream when clicked? That way any moron can use it as long as they have VLC, all they need to do is to click a link and sit back.
Cronix
Match Winner

Post by Cronix »

Xsplit rox for streaming :D
Signature? wtf...