Discussion from "Ladle 35 Date Poll"

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Re: Discussion from "Ladle 35 Date Poll"

Post by gawdzilla »

To make this of some relevance: I'm changing my vote to July 11th JUST so you Americans can have your way again. That barbeque on the 4th of July is really important.

Have fun everyone.

(I hate you all.)
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

Titanoboa wrote:What you're saying is that when another country has a holiday and can't make ladle, they can skip that ladle and play in the next one (which I find reasonable), but that isn't good enough for inhabitants of the United States of America?

Just wondering if that's what you mean :roll:
I'm saying that you can't compare a holiday in a country that only represents 5% of the armagetron population to a holiday in a country that represents 40% of the armagetron population.

I think the times that this question should be put up are:

1. A holiday that many countries celebrate (like New Years)
2. Multiple holidays of different countries that happen to be on the same day
3. If the World Cup Final or other major sporting event was on the 4th
4. Holidays that block a large amount of people from playing (like Independence day for US and Canada Day)
5. It is the apocalypse, and it would be better to play a week later, after some of the fire has died down.

Basically, my view is if a large portion of the armagetron community is unable to play because of some event, then a poll should be put up.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Ladle 35 Date Poll

Post by sinewav »

owned wrote:Well considering that upwards of 40% of the armagetron players are American...
And some of those Americans want to play on the 4th. Also, your are leaving yourself open to major criticism by saying American is more important because we have more players than another country. Even if 40% of the Fortress community couldn't make it, that is still no reason to cancel or postpone it. If just 4 teams show up for Ladle, then it should go on. It doesn't make that particular Ladle any less legitimate than previous ones.

Look, it's not like this is a league where we are keeping points across a number of games. If that were the case, then scheduling would be much more important. Each Ladle is an independent event.

On the brighter side, it's nice to see everyone is so interested in Ladle that they don't want to miss a single one. Can someone say "addict?" :P
Nelhybel
Round Winner

Post by Nelhybel »

sinewav wrote:And some of those Americans want to play on the 4th.
Apparently some of the Euro's didn't want the 4th - Pru voted the 18th.
Thank you for the teams that voted across the isle and proved this wasn't an America vs. Europe issue.
sinewav wrote:On the brighter side, it's nice to see everyone is so interested in Ladle that they don't want to miss a single one. Can someone say "addict?" :P
:D :D :D

Anyways, looks like July 4th won! Have fun, to those who participate! I mean that in all sincerity!
Feel free to contact me here or on the grid if you would like assistance or support in beginning a relationship with Jesus Christ.
---
uNa| United Noobs of Armagetron Forums
-=}ID< Immortal Dynasty Forums
_~`Ww_ Wild West Forums
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Deadmau5 wrote:(I hate you all.)
And we hate you. Not the Dutch or the Netherlands as a whole, because that would be irrational and petty (sort of like elevating the significance of a ball game over a country's independence from colonialism). No, we just hate you, Liz. And not motivated by some absurd xenophobia, narcissism, or sociopathy, but because you, individually, are a rotten human being.

EDIT: Corrected nationality.
Last edited by Phytotron on Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Sinn wrote:I like Z-mans proposal, although I do agree that time is running short.
Nah. All it takes is those teams that don't want to/can't play on the 4th to get together and organize a renegade Ladle a week later (and they have a week longer to do so), then let the winner challenge the other ladle winner for a duel of super supremacy. The servers can simply be kept running.
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

Phytotron wrote:
Deadmau5 wrote:(I hate you all.)
And we hate you. Not the English or the UK as a whole, because that would be irrational and petty (sort of like elevating the significance of a ball game over a country's independence from colonialism). No, we just hate you, Liz. And not motivated by some absurd xenophobia, narcissism, or sociopathy, but because you, individually, are a rotten human being.
No one here, even mentions your name... oh oh ooooh
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

PsYkO
Core Dumper

Post by PsYkO »

There was far less reason to change the ladle for a) New Years and b) Easter.
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

PsYkO wrote:There was far less reason to change the ladle for a) New Years and b) Easter.
Agreed.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

It's debatable though, and that's pretty much why we vote.

http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 60&t=20097
http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 60&t=19847

And I really think this whole america vs europe thing is getting blown up, most people just vote for the date where they know they have the most people available. If more teams/players are available for the 4th than for the 11th/18th, then that's just how it is (and how it is supposed to be).
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

sinewav wrote:
owned wrote:Well considering that upwards of 40% of the armagetron players are American...
And some of those Americans want to play on the 4th.
I suppose I exaggerated a little bit here, I personally am going to ask my parents to move what we're doing to later in the day so I can be in the ladle. So it's possible that I would be able to play. But it's no different to saying that lots of people wanted to play three days after new years, and lots of people wanted to play on easter: both days where we ended up moving the date.
Even if 40% of the Fortress community couldn't make it, that is still no reason to cancel or postpone it. If just 4 teams show up for Ladle, then it should go on. It doesn't make that particular Ladle any less legitimate than previous ones.
To answer that last statement first, it depends on what you mean by legitimate. If by legitimate, you mean the best team is the winner, then yes, it is less than legitimate. As for your first comment, I clearly said in my post that in my opinion, if a large number of people are either unable to play or it would be hard for a large number of people to play, then a vote should be put up. I don't see any reason to blank out around a third of the armagetron community when we could have a ladle with everyone just a week or two later.
LucK
Shutout Match Winner

Post by LucK »

Lackadaisical wrote:It's debatable though, and that's pretty much why we vote.

http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 60&t=20097
http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 60&t=19847

And I really think this whole america vs europe thing is getting blown up, most people just vote for the date where they know they have the most people available. If more teams/players are available for the 4th than for the 11th/18th, then that's just how it is (and how it is supposed to be).
I noticed in both of those topic there was not a cut-off date it was the clear winner who won. To stop the voting when it is tied is kind of bullshit.
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

Nel did state when the closing time was, he didn't just randomly pluck a time out of thin air.

We had a vote, there wasn't enough cause to change the date, why's that a problem?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

owned wrote:If by legitimate, you mean the best team is the winner, then yes, it is less than legitimate.
No. Here is an example: In Ladle X1, Team Y and Team Z go to the finals. Team Y wins. In the following Ladle (X2), neither Team Y or Team Z enter for various reasons. Team A wins instead. It's still legitimate even though the two "best teams" (Team Y and Team Z) didn't show up. This is because there is no condition from the previous Ladle that affects the curret one. It's not a league. There are no seeds. Each Ladle is independent of the others.

But if we take your view, then we need to strip |x| of their Ladle 15 victory since more than 40% of the Fortress community didn't show up, including the previous winners.