Discussion from "Ladle 35 Date Poll"

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Discussion from "Ladle 35 Date Poll"

Post by Titanoboa »

Z-Man wrote:- Play one leg on the 4th with teams that can't or won't play on the 11th.
- Play another leg on the 11th with the rest of the teams.
- Have the winners of both legs meet on the 18th.
That would be fun and interesting if we had more time to plan it. I don't see how our fortress community could get it working in time. (Even if given 1 year).
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Titanoboa wrote:I don't see how our fortress community could get it working in time. (Even if given 1 year).
Well, easy: just pretend that there's a regular ladle on both the 11th and 4th, with fewer teams. It should in fact be easier than your standard ladle, apart from the extra organization about the final final.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Nelhybel wrote:As a friend of the the ID team, I found that pretty offensive.
Please don't. Of course they run their forums the way they want, but IMO they should have a locked announcments subforum including their complete memberlist with "ranks". That way they have a way to post with an official and trust-able voice, AND one can know who they are talking to. This could save a lot of discussion whether a decision is effectively ID's or if it is faked. I'm sure they can run their clan fine, but it would be great if they did this. :)
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

dlh wrote:
orion wrote:why we made like 3 or 4 topics about l35? its stupid
ladle rule: "ladle would be played first sunday of each month"
who can play 4th PLAY, who cant DONT PLAY.
its a better idea
You made the first thread about changing the Ladle 35 date because you thought there was a World Cup game going on. Anyways you're free to change your opinion.

I'm okay with the Ladle being played on the 4th, even though I may not be able to play and I'd be going for a 3rd consecutive victory. A precedent has been set for not changing the date. In this instance it may lead to one of the smallest group of participants since Ladle 16, but it's just one phase. The Ladle isn't going anywhere, and someday there will be another large group of teams to play.
yes i did it, but that was only 1 post, now they made like 3 or 4 topics. i vote for the official rules... first sunday of each month (or change it only in an international day)
Nelhybel
Round Winner

Re: Ladle 35 Date Poll

Post by Nelhybel »

Liz is calling it unofficial because she doesn't like the result she sees. Were I in her shoes, I suppose I would possibly feel the same way. But ultimately it's not "unofficial".

Anyways, if this is a tie vote, I say the ladle should be on the 4th (and remember I support the 18th). This poll was to see if the day should be changed - a tie proves their isn't sufficient support to change the date, and thus it should remain on schedule. Do people agree?

Also, if I'm correct, this issue won't arise again until 2021. Hopefully ladle will involve a massive number of teams by then - I don't think this poll should be referenced for that decision regarding a date change that year, seeing as we'll only have a maximum of 14 team votes, and it looks right now like we won't even get that many.
Feel free to contact me here or on the grid if you would like assistance or support in beginning a relationship with Jesus Christ.
---
uNa| United Noobs of Armagetron Forums
-=}ID< Immortal Dynasty Forums
_~`Ww_ Wild West Forums
LucK
Shutout Match Winner

Post by LucK »

sinewav wrote:
PsYkO wrote:Wouldn't be a big deal to change ...like we have done in the past...
When was that? I remember us switching for New Years, but that affects everyone on our calendar, not just people within certain political borders. 4th of July only affects "some" people from the USA - not all of them, and doesn't affect anyone from Canada or Europe.
PsYkO wrote:With that being said, SP votes for not 4th of July.
You have to pick a date because you don't get 2 votes. Either the 11th or the 18th. Also, this isn't the voting thread.

Also, this thread makes me embarrassed to be from the USA.
I am pretty sure when we changed the New Years date that it was originally 3 days AFTER New Years. This date is ON the 4th.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

We also changed for easter, for what it's worth.

Either way I propose in the future we make date-voting part of the discussion/settings vote which happens every quarter anyway, so we can plan ahead. Also I'd like to just have two options, being the first and second sunday of the month, to keep reasonable time intervals between ladles.
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

Nelhybel wrote:
Also, if I'm correct, this issue won't arise again until 2021. Hopefully ladle will involve a massive number of teams by then - I don't think this poll should be referenced for that decision regarding a date change that year, seeing as we'll only have a maximum of 14 team votes, and it looks right now like we won't even get that many.
The problem is that if it is changed for a U.S holiday then be prepared for these votes to pop up for other country's national holiday that falls on the first Sunday. I think the next one is Germany's in October, though I'm not sure if the German player's would want to postpone it or not.

I still stand by the idea that if you have something better to do on the first Sunday of the month then do it and play the ladle next month.

List of said holidays
You've gone too far, turn back!
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

I'm not even playing in this ladle, so the result doesn't affect me. However, Vanhayes is right and if you can't make it the 4th then DON'T play and let others play.

Expect me to call in a vote for EVERY European holiday from now on.
Sinn
Average Program

Post by Sinn »

Well the 4th isn't just a "holiday" for some people.

OCTOBER FEST WOOOOOO!!. I will also be gone on this day to celebrate my my roots. :D

I like Z-mans proposal, although I do agree that time is running short.

I'm just glad some people understand where I and other Americans are coming from and will make an
effort to help bypass this situation in the future.
The truth is out there.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

Well "holidays" in Europe aren't just "holidays" for some people.
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

Van-hayes wrote:
Nelhybel wrote:
The problem is that if it is changed for a U.S holiday then be prepared for these votes to pop up for other country's national holiday that falls on the first Sunday. I think the next one is Germany's in October, though I'm not sure if the German player's would want to postpone it or not.

I still stand by the idea that if you have something better to do on the first Sunday of the month then do it and play the ladle next month.

List of said holidays
Well considering that upwards of 40% of the armagetron players are American (I'm not entirely sure if this number is accurate because I'm just taking it from the ct website viewcount, but I doubt that the percentage of americans in the game is below 30%) and the number of Americans hugely outnumbers any other nation, there's a huge difference between switching for a us major holiday, and switching for the holiday of some country that only 5 to 10% of the people are from.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

What you're saying is that when another country has a holiday and can't make ladle, they can skip that ladle and play in the next one (which I find reasonable), but that isn't good enough for inhabitants of the United States of America?

Just wondering if that's what you mean :roll:
LucK
Shutout Match Winner

Post by LucK »

Titanoboa wrote:What you're saying is that when another country has a holiday and can't make ladle, they can skip that ladle and play in the next one (which I find reasonable), but that isn't good enough for inhabitants of the United States of America?

Just wondering if that's what you mean :roll:
Sounds legit to me. LOL!
Nelhybel
Round Winner

Post by Nelhybel »

It's interesting (and sometimes entertaining) to read everyone else's thoughts on this issue. Everyone is making good points, and the community seems pretty evenly divided, as shown by our tied poll.

So let's discuss this:
Nelhybel wrote:Anyways, if this is a tie vote, I say the ladle should be on the 4th (and remember I support the 18th). This poll was to see if the day should be changed - a tie proves their isn't sufficient support to change the date, and thus it should remain on schedule. Do people agree?
Teams have less than two hours to vote, so I'm guessing we're not going to hear from anybody else. If we can agree on this, then the discussion is resolved. Americans will simply skip this ladle and play in August.

@Titan, I think Owned was just saying that it doesn't make sense to break a tradition on many different months for different minorities that each only make up like 5 or 10% of the ladle players. On the other hand, it seems at least reasonable (although everyone's arguments are doing a good job contending it) to make a change to the tradition for an event (July 4th on a Sunday) that won't need to happen again for over a decade, and for a group of people that certainly constitute a plurality of the players, if not almost a majority.

Also thanks to whomever moved my post (epsy?) - I think I meant to put it here :)
Feel free to contact me here or on the grid if you would like assistance or support in beginning a relationship with Jesus Christ.
---
uNa| United Noobs of Armagetron Forums
-=}ID< Immortal Dynasty Forums
_~`Ww_ Wild West Forums