Discussion from "Ladle 35 Date Poll"

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Sinn
Average Program

Re: Discussion from "Ladle 35 Date Poll"

Post by Sinn »

I'm confused to how the date isn't changed if it's a tie.

Also I would like to point out that Liz obviously changed her vote, doesn't that mean it's not a tie? :twisted:
The truth is out there.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

LucK wrote:I noticed in both of those topic there was not a cut-off date it was the clear winner who won. To stop the voting when it is tied is kind of bullshit.
Considering the sign up deadline is tomorrow for the 4th, I think there was enough reason to not extend the voting much longer.
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Ladle 35 Date Poll

Post by owned »

sinewav wrote:
owned wrote:If by legitimate, you mean the best team is the winner, then yes, it is less than legitimate.
No. Here is an example: In Ladle X1, Team Y and Team Z go to the finals. Team Y wins. In the following Ladle (X2), neither Team Y or Team Z enter for various reasons. Team A wins instead. It's still legitimate even though the two "best teams" (Team Y and Team Z) didn't show up. This is because there is no condition from the previous Ladle that affects the curret one. It's not a league. There are no seeds. Each Ladle is independent of the others.

But if we take your view, then we need to strip |x| of their Ladle 15 victory since more than 40% of the Fortress community didn't show up, including the previous winners.
I see that the ladle has two goals:
1. To give the fortress community a fun tournament to play every month.
2. To determine the best fortress team every month.

Although there isn't really a scale, in my opinion, a fully successful tourney fulfills the first goal, while a fully legitimate tourney fulfills the second goal. However, by holding the ladle on a date that many players can't participate on, it encroaches on both of those goals. When I say that a tournament with less players/teams is less than legitimate, I am not saying that the winners of small ladles should be stripped of their titles. I'm saying that the tournament might not have (and on a holiday like this, has a 30+% chance of) fulfilled it's second goal of determining the best fortress team that month.
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

Lackadaisical wrote:And I really think this whole america vs europe thing is getting blown up, most people just vote for the date where they know they have the most people available.
It is blown up too big. And yeah, usually people vote that way, but I don't know if it's true with this vote. How many people voted that way rather than because they just wanted to vote for the date some Americans can't play?
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

Yes, we don't want the Americans to play in the ladle!!!!11 DERP!
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

I don't know. Maybe they voted for the fourth because it's tradition or because they don't care. Doesn't matter I suppose.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

Considering we already changed it twice this year I doubt people vote with tradition in mind, and I'd assume people wouldn't vote at all if they were really not interested. (Although I would like to see a 'blanc vote' option in the future)
johnny.nbk.
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by johnny.nbk. »

Also, if I'm correct, this issue won't arise again until 2021. Hopefully ladle will involve a massive number of teams by then
:<
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

I've just read through this thread...hilarious.
Playing since December 2006