Future ladles and Ladle 32 discussion

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Future ladles and Ladle 32 discussion

Post by kyle »

A few of us were discussing the ladle history a bit more in IRC today. The first ladle was actually the second Sunday of the month of April. The reason was it was about one month after the release of 0.2.8.0. Anyways Ladle 32 will be four years of ladles/spoon/bowls. we've obviously missed 16 months of ladles. We started discussing how we missed them we missed several of them when we were having them every other month.

Me, Flex, Vanhayes and pavelo, all thought that maybe it would be a good idea to go back to having ladles every other month. I think monthly is just too much, it takes time away from other potential competitions. I also think having a longer break would produce an even better event, more anticipation for it and more well planned teams. of course that's only my opinion.

Anyways someone pointed out that the first Sunday of April is Easter, So i propose having our ladle voting/discussion thread before ladle 32. This way we can vote to move that forward a week, which would put it closer to the 4 year mark. I also think we should talk about having ladles every other month. And finally we should get some closure on the long awaited global admins for ladles.
Last edited by kyle on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody <3
Match Winner

Re: Furure ladles and Ladle 32 discussion

Post by Cody <3 »

Jesus died for us to have ladle on the first Sunday so no need to move it forward.

I really don't like the idea of every other month. We're already having it monthly and I usually can't wait too play! I say keep it how it is =]
NEW 1v1 Sumo SB Tournament SITE
http://1v1sb.weebly.com
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

The best case scenario for me would be having a fort tournament (ladle/bowl/etc.) one month and a sumo tournament (tst/wst/etc.) the other.
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
DDMJ

Post by DDMJ »

Have a sumo tournament every weekend. I need to feel good about myself because the Ladles haven't been helping recently :cry:.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I second the early voting discussion. And of course we'll add the "Ladles will be every other month. [yes|no]" option. I see your point, and while I like the monthly Ladle, I do agree it does prevent a lot of other cool stuff from happening (4 team fort, incam something or other, sumo sumo sumo, CTDF, CTWF!, a really bitchin' team LMS tournament, CTF, more more more...) So, I might actually vote for every-other month.

We now have a solid number of active Ladle participants, so hopefully we'll get a good discussion and vote that best represents the wishes of the community.

Good post.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

DDMJ wrote:Have a sumo tournament every weekend.
I'm considering it.
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

And going forward, the team that finds the solution, and a team will find a solution, will be the new king.

Nice try Emoticons!!!!!
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

We had them completely the first match, but we fell apart second match when my internet screwed up and the subs didn't know what was going on. Basically I'm saying we had the solution to beating them, but then we were forced to switch out players and we lost.
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

Desolate wrote:We had them completely the first match, but we fell apart second match when my internet screwed up and the subs didn't know what was going on. Basically I'm saying we had the solution to beating them, but then we were forced to switch out players and we lost.
Excuses bro. Let's give the credit to the players who deserve it, not give imaginary credit to players who don't.

I am seriously impressed with both SP and NE. I don't think there is a single person who watched those matches who wasn't going nuts until the very end. Well done, both teams!
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

It's an excuse, so what? It's a true excuse, Sp might not have won if they suddenly lost Insa to 300+ ping, and Viper had to restart his router.
PsYkO
Core Dumper

Post by PsYkO »

A tournament every week would be stupid for the size of our community.

I agree that every other month would increase the anticipation but I also agree that there should be another tournament in the month off. Sumo tournament would be great but I think voting has to happen to decide will it be 1v1v1v1, 2v2v2v2, 3v3, what? And set it up exactly like the ladle is set up (aka no clans/teams lead it)
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

I can't speak for everyone, obviously, and I know my voice doesn't count for much in these domains, however:

It seems like it takes about a week to 14 days for the post-ladle discussions (both on forums and in game) to settle, and about 2 weeks (well, atleast not more than that) for a not-yet-established team to collect players for a ladle. That adds up to nearly a month.

There were 16 teams on this ladle. Seems pretty optimal for a one day event. Took 5 hours even though there weren't any major delays (just more defensive tactics than usual I suppose).
If there's more anticipation, as you predict, it's likely that more teams will sign up. That adds atleast 45 minutes.

So what I'm wondering is if you really think it will benefit the community or that you guys (the experienced players who have played in many ladles and aren't getting as much adrenaline anymore) just personally would enjoy it more if you played it every other month? If, so, just sign up every other month instead ;]

I personally think that 1 month is well balanced, and I'm pretty sure the community thinks so too overall. Atleast I've never ever seen anyone in-game complain about the ladles being held too often; only by people who seem to spend more time on the forums than in armagetron advanced.
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

Titanoboa wrote:Condensed version: Titanoboa spoke the truth.
I agree. If you don't want to play every month, no problem.
Spook
Round Winner

Post by Spook »

hmm idk ladles every month is a success, for the last past 6 ladles there has always been atleast 12 or more teams signed up, and this ladle was maxed out, even know only 14 1/2 teams showed up it was still a success. Ladles are not getting boring there the hottest thing right now in AA and i do think if we do them ever other months ppl will lose interest in them.

I do know why some people want to do ladles every other month, so they can make sure there best players are there for it which is ok i love playing against the best but then again thats why we have subs ready
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Cody <3 wrote:Jesus died for us to have ladle on the first Sunday so no need to move it forward.

I really don't like the idea of every other month. We're already having it monthly and I usually can't wait too play! I say keep it how it is =]
:done:
Boxed