Money Tournament

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Money Tournament

Post by Titanoboa »

LucK wrote:Does that mean that we do not have the right to watch the ladle?
Since when is this thread about streaming the ladle?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

:roll: Well, since this topic needs a split, I might as well jump back in.
LucK wrote:What if we don't support the stream? Does that mean that we do not have the right to watch the ladle?
That's exactly what that means. You have no right to be in a tournament server if you are not participating in the match. Period. Spectating is a privilege. It wasn't too long ago that Ladle servers only had enough slots for the players. I've missed out on plenty of finals because they were full.

Try to understand we are working toward an ideal solution. There are going to be problems along the way. The stream doesn't give you the quality or control over your viewing experience the way the client does. However, keeping spectators out of the Ladle servers make everything run smoother. And as epsy mentioned, it opens the game up to a larger audience, which is always nice.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Hoax wrote:
Phytotron wrote:My last computer (600 MHz iMac G3) didn't handle video streams very well, but handled Arma just fine (especially after 2.8—previous versions had some SDL issue that destroyed framerate on Macs).
Interesting anyone else with a slow/old computer have the same experience? I would have thought armagetron would demand more from a computer than watching a stream. Maybe it was your internet connection
I didn't have any problem with my internet connection (and it's the same one I have now; I only changed to a newer computer last September or October). It wasn't a case of lag or the video getting ahead of the download or buffering or any of that. It was just poor performance in the way of jitteriness, stopping and starting, mini-freezes, or even lock-ups. That kind of stuff.

And yeah, at least on Macs, Arma likes to eat up as much CPU processing as it can, to get to 100%. (Haven't checked RAM consumption.) I still can't have any apps running in the background or Arma gets jittery (like having framerate in the low 20's, although I'll be steady at 80 fps.)

I dunno; I have next to nil in geek knowledge.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

My experience on older hardware is that the game itself is definitely smoother. Same on newer hardware, by the way. At the connection end, video eats a lot of bandwidth, causing at least a hitch here and there. At the processing end, Arma just splats a few polygons on screen. That's not quite as heavy as a modern video codec. Arma isn't Crysis or something.

I do support the stream. It deserves its place and allows more spectators, albeit in a different form.

It's normal that Arma takes 100% CPU. Vsync, finish swap mode, or a slow GPU can change that. It doesn't need a whole lot of RAM. There's just an older version which leaked its cycle textures, IIRC, but that was so gradual that even on low-memory machines you'd only notice because things had to swap in after you stopped playing.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Hmm I see.
& +1 for the stream
Although it's not like you don't have 'live' specs in other 'sports', do other broadcasted games allow for specs in the server?
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

If your computer cannot handle streaming videos, it's time to upgrade. Everyone would have the right to watch the competition, but you need to have adequate technology.

I don't have a car, but that doesn't mean I don't have the right to drive. (not a very good analogy, but you get the point)
ItzAcid
Match Winner

Post by ItzAcid »

Titanoboa wrote:
epsy wrote:No, they'll just come back and complain. Then on forums. Etc.
I'm not buying it.
Just add "Do not enter.. blabla" something to the server name.
If people still complain, we can lol at them.

Also, set max_clients on a reasonable level so you can't be flooded by noobs - for easier moderation.

I agree with tit on this. When I played df, for wars we would get both teams, administration, and a screenshot taker in the server. After that we would reduce the max clients so nobody could enter. Thats all that needs to be done with that. As sine said, spectating is a privelege.
LucK wrote:
Titanoboa wrote:
This would be like forcing people to watch the stream. What if we don't support the stream? Does that mean that we do not have the right to watch the ladle? I personally like watching the game and discussing it with people who actually know what the **** is going on( no offense to forecast dude). I personally thought that the set max_clients was reasonable. What makes the stream so special? What about people who want to record? How would you decide who get kicked and who doesn't? What if someone who wants to watch the ladle and can't watch the stream due to parent restrictions or lack of a good computer.
Just throwing ideas out there, but there good be a spectator list much like when you sign up for any tournament. There could be a special list of exceptions due to, like you said, bad connection or parents. The pepole would have to give legitimate reasoning why they can't watch the stream, and if the admin approves, he could be allowed to watch the game in person. I know what your saying though. With this we would leave some people kind of SoL

Edit: That's luck's quote, not tits xD
Won Tourneys/Competitions: WWG4 (Hmm, need more braggage like Durka)

Oo oO
K-Yo
Round Winner

Post by K-Yo »

back to topic...
thelastSunrise wrote:anyway, i think if there are tournaments like that there will also be a lot of misunderstandings and disputes. and if everyone is playing from his hometown lag would make it kind of unfair. i wouldnt accept losing money just because i got a slide or something like that, you know?

tournaments with money should be played in local area networks, that would make it much more fair and easier to control... but i don't think arma is worth travelling to a specific country/town yet (as already said there arent enough players who would play for money...) :P
you can also add to this that server can't see if someone is cheating yet...
1st you can have a hacked client
2nd you can use a regular client but macros to easy your moves
3rd you can have another program that will control your bike and have a superbot play instead of you (that would just be a programming contest...)

I really do not thingk the game is ready to put any money in... anyway, I wouldn't

EDIT: oh, just saw that
K-Yo
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

I'll bite. You guys figure out an acceptable cash-prize tournament, and I'll throw in 5 USD to the grand prize. I experimented with a variety of options about a year ago, but I can't remember all the details now. I *do* recall one idea involved entry tiers where your potential winnings was directly related to your entry fee (so people could enter free of charge, but would get less if they won first place than a $10-entry winning second or third). My ideas were all non-team competitions, note. :)

P.S. I didn't actually read this long thread. :p
Punish
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Punish »

I like poker formats!
1vs2vs3vs4vs5...
(Buy-In) $__
1st$_____
2nd$___
3rd$ ___
4th$__
5th$ - Take Care...
or
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 vs 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
for winning team each member gets double what they paid
from the pool.
Concord

Post by Concord »

People buy the privilege of spectating a professional sporting event.
We should encourage spectating in any form. We are on the other end of the spectrum.
Being spectated is a privilege.
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

So do soccer players let the spectators sit by the sideline, or do they have arenas etc?
The point I'm trying to make is that the server/sideline is for substitutes, camera (wo)men, moderators...
I guess a mirrored in-game server would be a good equivalent of the arena, and the stream of a TV broadcast!

But I dislike having spectators and hooligans watch from the sideline.
LucK
Shutout Match Winner

Post by LucK »

If they don't speak out of /team like what negative thing can they do?
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

Wouldn't you agree that it'd be better with one server with the purpose of playing and one with the purpose of watching?

If said mirroring is possible, I'll go ahead and assume the mirror server could allow up to 100 spectators if not more.

I don't see how you're not thinking of this as a win-win situation; for both players and spectators.
As for implementing it, it's going to take time and until then spectating will work as it does now.

Correct me if I'm wrong. (because i'm trying to contribute, and if i'm wrong, i'm not contributing a lot :D)
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

Yeah only people do speak out of team. Isn't there a command that disables specs talking unless logged in as mod/admin?