Country-based teams competition

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Olive
Match Winner

Country-based teams competition

Post by Olive »

As team polak is formed it might also be fun to have a country-based fort competition. (Kudo's to slash, it's his idea)

Any ideas/suggestions how to work this out? I have no clue if people would be interested in this, but it should be easy to achieve as we can easily get enough teams together to have a ladle-like competition;

the baguettemen
the flying dutchmen
team polak
etc.
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Country-based teams competition

Post by MrsKsr »

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

UK > all xDDD

In all seriousness, sounds like a good idea
"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one;
I hope some day you will join us, and the world can live as one"

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

I believe that to truly love is the ultimate expression of the will to live.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

I would be glad to help organize this. I have thought about this before, and I have a radical suggestion. Each team should have a home server, based as close as possible to their Country of Origin. Each round of the brackets would be played as follows. A script would randomize which server to start in. A full match would consist of 3 rounds. The first round would be played in the server chosen by the script, the second round, in the other teams server. If necessary, a 3rd round would be played in the same server as the match was started in. For instance, if Team Poland played Team UK, and the script chose Team Poland's server the starting server, the match could play out as follows. First round, Team Poland wins in their home server. Second round, Team UK wins in their server. The last round would be played in Team Poland's server.
Now, I know that a lot of you are going to read the above paragraph and say "that is too much of a pain to bear". But, let me explain to you why this is the most fair. Let's use Team Poland again, as an example. Let's say that Team Poland plays Team Patriots (a USA based team). Now you are going to have some lag involved as a determining factor in gameplay. It would be quite unfair to make Team Poland play the entire match in Team Patriot's server or vice versa. If you read the wiki for advice in playing, you will see the advice it gives about dealing with lag. The best fortress players can play well in a server where they have a ping of 150-170 or a ping of 30-60. Having a truly International Competition where one does not remove the "ping" advantage, is to put an unfair burden on a few teams. This is why I have recommended that competitions that truly include teams from both sides of the Atlantic ocean might be best concluded in a New York based server. Most Europeans have a better ping in a New York based server than anyone on the West Coast of the United States.
Also, I bet i can fill at least 2 USA based teams. Here are a few possible names. The Patriots, The Eagles, and The Redskins. Yes, I know these are all names of American Football teams, but I couldn't think of better names that represent the idea of the United States.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

The server thing seems fair to me, though not every country has its own server. I cant remember ever to have seen a spanish, polish or hungarian server. My thought was deviding the world in areas, such as eastern europe, western europe, south of europe, west coast, east coast etc. The biggest downside would be how to devide the countries, but using the atlas and simple voting would do the trick.

PS: I would love to see a 'Team Redneck'
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

Pretty obvious that dutchies will win. :roll:
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Olive wrote:The server thing seems fair to me, though not every country has its own server. I cant remember ever to have seen a spanish, polish or hungarian server. My thought was deviding the world in areas, such as eastern europe, western europe, south of europe, west coast, east coast etc. The biggest downside would be how to devide the countries, but using the atlas and simple voting would do the trick.

PS: I would love to see a 'Team Redneck'

I was kinda thinking the same thing. I can donate servers in New York, USA, Texas, USA, Los Angeles, USA, and France.
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

Olive wrote: PS: I would love to see a 'Team Redneck'
I hope there is no such team. I am from an area where redneck can be a nasty insult (it's what city-dwellers might call us for being stupid). For fair play, please use non-discriminatory names. Other than that, this is a great idea.
" Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
-Plato
Ok, but why did I add this signature? I was like 15 and thought I was smart? What a brat.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

That's why I suggested Patriots and Eagles! Redneck is WAY too derogatory!
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Didn't half of the random non-clan teams so far have names toying with insults one way or the other?
noob13
Average Program

Post by noob13 »

Team Finland will have a total of exactly two players! :)
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Where's dorka or LoD to set it up? :D
Not that there's much point; uk always wins these things :)
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

I can set this up on the wiki...etc. Dorka is rather busy in real life right now. But, I bet he will catch this topic tonight or tomorrow and post.

So, let's review what we have figured out so far.
We can decide teams based on "sectors" and or countries. For the USA this would be Eastern, Central, and Western. For Europe, I can see that we could have a Polish team (obviously), a UK team, Eastern European (other than Poland, I assume), Northern European, Southern European. I would like to see someone else flesh out what European Countries would best be sorted how. I am not familiar enough with the groupings of European Players geographically, to know what other countries could put forward a team. Perhaps Spain, France, and Germany have enough players for their own team per Country.

Each team would have a home server. Locations of said servers to be decided based on the availability of servers.
Matches would be played first round in a randomly selected server, second round in the other team's server, third round in the randomly selected server.

I would suggest, that team leaders should be chosen by each team, once all interested people have been sorted into various geographically located teams.

The basic server configuration could be the current Ladle config and a second file that lists team captains with appropriate USER_LEVEL assigned with global ID's.

Anyone have any ideas for a fun name? I am not so good at coming up with names.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

NAFT "North-Atlantic Fortress Tournament"
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

compguygene wrote:Dorka is rather busy in real life right now. But, I bet he will catch this topic tonight or tomorrow and post.
Indeed, here I is.
Hoax wrote:Where's dorka or LoD to set it up? :D
Not that there's much point; uk always wins these things :)
Yea...no thanks...all I was gonna say was:
Olive wrote:Kudo's to slash, it's his idea
umm, no, this has already been done twice so therefore it can't be his idea! :P
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

DDMJ wrote:umm, no, this has already been done twice so therefore it can't be his idea! :P
The AVE?