Time based Fortress?

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Time based Fortress?

Post by sinewav »

ed wrote:Maybe it's our American cousins who are lagging more? Possibly the server was having a bad day when you wrote this?
Yes, this is probably true. Today it didn't seem as bad - in fact it was quite good comparatively. But sometimes it's barely playable for Americans. I'm guessing it's not the server, but probably all the things that generally cause lag.

Thanks for looking into all those suggestions ed. It's really coming along nicely. I'm very happy enough people are familiar with Onslaught that getting people to go there isn't a problem. It's absolutely perfect at the end for a big Fort game, when all but 4-5 people leave...and even better for 1v1 practice than a regular Fort server.
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

Van-hayes wrote: you being from Florida.
@hayes :P 15 year old stalker

Van-hayes wrote:where did you get gay from red hot poker up the ass? I'm pretty sure no gay guy has ever done that. Ever. And yes it would probably kill you, in a horrifyingly painful way.
@hayes You would know...
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

@owned I've been racking my brains. I remember you gave me your death suggestion on the grid, I liked it and meant to add it but I've forgotten it and the logs are now gone :(
Pm me here and I will add it.
And if anyone else wants to see their wild and wonderful deaths added, send me a pm, if I like it I will add it :twisted:
Contrary to MKay's reasoning, they don't have to make perfect sense.
Pezz
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Pezz »

I don't suffer from lag as such but it kills my FPS after a while. I'm using a bog standard dell latitude though so isn't that suprising. It was down to around 10fps at one point the other day.

Other than that though I like the game type a lot. Nice one!
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Thank you ed, for posting the script. With Kyle hosting a US server, I won't put one up, but the script has potential for other uses. I am thinking, after the current server I am working on, to make a CTF Onslaught. I see your point about the potential to simplify the script. However, I also see potential uses to set the players as objects. What I am working on now, is a racing server.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
ed
Match Winner

Fortress Onlslaught Moviepack

Post by ed »

I'm on Attack!
I'm on Attack!
Out of a desire to see if it would actually work, Fortress Onslaught Moviepack is born. It does :D
Whilst playing, I heard some people stating they weren't always sure if they were supposed to be attacking or defending, this moviepack goes some way to rectifying that.
It's heavily based on my Fortress Moviepack. Look at <-that post for installation instructions.
The Inkscape svg is included in the zip if you're inclined to tinker.
Attachments
I'm Defending
I'm Defending
moviepack_onslaught.zip
Fortress Onslaught Moviepack
(1.84 MiB) Downloaded 107 times
theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

Good work, looks very nice!
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
Flex
Round Winner

Re: Fortress Onlslaught Moviepack

Post by Flex »

ed wrote:Whilst playing, I heard some people stating they weren't always sure if they were supposed to be attacking or defending, this moviepack goes some way to rectifying that.
Why not just rename team names to Defenders/Attackers? Isn't that possible with your script or any specific reason why not?

Also I think it's a bit weird that sweepers respawn next to the attackers.. what about;

Apart from that, everything seems perfect.. Very fun to play.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Is there room to respawn behind the zone? If the zone was moved forward, the map would have to be bigger imo. Would be interesting to see what it's like not being so close to the edge though; It gets pretty crowded trying to attack if it's full but I guess that's half the challenge. Also following enemies to the zone after respawn can be fun hehe
ed wrote:
Hoax wrote:Orange text regarding time left is not very visually pleasing
Yeah, colours are not really my forte. You wanna see the contents of my wardrobe :oops:
Someone post me a new colour, I can easily exchange it.
Was more on about all the ##### but don't really notice anymore :P
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

thank you, i'm making a moviepack hybrid based on your fortress moviepack, Luzifer's version and sine.wav's CTF moviepack. I'll post it on this forum when I've finished it ;)
ed
Match Winner

Re: Fortress Onlslaught Moviepack

Post by ed »

Flex wrote:Why not just rename team names to Defenders/Attackers?
That may be possible, but I don't think it will solve the issue.
From my own experience, I've been playing fortress for years and have a launch style that I automatically use, nowadays without really thinking about. Fortress Onslaught has exactly the same launch positions for you and your team, but you have to reprogram your brain to act differently depending on your teams' role.
A lot of people (myself included sometimes) still think they're playing fortress.
Flex wrote:Also I think it's a bit weird that sweepers respawn next to the attackers.. what about;
Like Hoax here, I like the fact they spawn close together, there are some fun battles on the journey back to the zone.
But I do like your map idea. I have put this up on Onslaught to try it out. The zone can now be attacked from all four sides. I think it will open up many new strategies.

Now you've gone and messed up my moviepack :evil: If the map sticks, I will update it.
Flex
Round Winner

Post by Flex »

Ah.. I completely forgot about the extra side opening up.. I guess if there is too much of a difference, the old way is still good. But the fact that it does get crowded a lot, makes it useful.

I remember thinking about the zone in the middle a while back, for the same reasons (sweepers spawning different to the attackers), but the extra 4th side opening up put me off from posting.. but now that it's done, I can't really imagine a lot of difference with four sides. If the 4th side does make it weird, the extra space can be brought from the left/right sides for sweepers to spawn. A sort of cross shaped map, (if you do decide to move the sweepers spawn spot).

I thought about the reasons and benefits of being spawned together, but I think I prefer being away from the attacks at the start, rather than one side full of dead tails, having to force my way around. Then again, the respawns could be the 'attack coming back to help the defence after sweepers dying.' scenario.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Flex wrote:I can't really imagine a lot of difference with four sides.
True. When I had Flag Fortress up, zones could be attacked on 4 sides. There was no significant difference.