Because I want as many people as possible to read this, I'm using bullets.
Our Current Approach to TRONIC
- Singular tournaments independent of each other. (Ladle 21 has nothing to do with Ladle 20)
- Self Organizing tournaments with not executive.
- Captain as leadership units. (Captains sign up, captains are responsible for players, etc)
- Repetition (Same approach to each tournament)
- Scalable (Just a bracket, we make it bigger if we need to)
- Singular tournaments make it easy for new teams to jump in each month.
- Self organization takes stress of central organizers, allows any one to participate.
- Captains will be responsible for their team
- Repetition creates a community that knows how to deal with problems. We have precedents.
- This is going to be big, it should be future proof.
- Lack of central organizers causes either a volunteer (see 2020, rain, Monkey, Concord, Durka) to step up or no progress to be made.
- It is not all together future proof (as we are seeing with all the timing problems, bracket problems)
Perhaps instead of creating individual tournaments designed for maximum participation and growth we should take a year and produce a high level league. We refocus from growing the number of players to maximizing this league both in producing a captivating level of gameplay and producing interesting statistics, highlight reels, interviews.
My plan for such a Fortress Premier League. This is still theoretical, lets make this the best it can be by working together.
Now - September 12th // Organizational Stage
- Captains sign up as individuals
- Captains form their teams just like Ladles
- Maximum 18 teams
- 3 divisions (American, Open, European)
- American plays American evenings
- Open plays around 17:30 GMT.
- European plays European evenings
- Captains submit a preliminary roster of maximum 10 to FPL
- Captains indicate numbers of Euros and Americans
- League office determines divisions
- Finalized September 19th
September 20th-December 20th // League Stage & Qualifiers
- Teams play each divisional opponent twice (10 matches if 18 teams)
- Teams play certain out of division opponents once. (4 matches if 18 teams)
- Captains must register all roster changes with league office.
- Server admins submit score logs of each match to FPL
- Match of the week recorded, commentated, shared
January 27th - March 14th // Group Stage
- Captains teams lock in a 10 man roster for Spring on Jan 3rd, no more roster changes after this point
- 2 4-team groups created from top 8 teams of League Stage.
- Within groups, Captains organize with each other to play each other team in group stage.
- Group matches to be played at any time the captains agree on, matches played in FPL Server.
- Open Ladles played on Feb 7th, Mar 7th
- top finisher in each Ladle that is registered with FPL advance to Final 4
- Top finisher from each group advance to final 4
Final 4 to be played March 21st
Thoughts? I hope to create a captivating league that can run for this long and to insure teams do not drop out. It would require a large and multitalented staff, but nothing we can't accomplish.