LADLE new rule about aliases

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

hoop
Round Winner

LADLE new rule about aliases

Post by hoop »

I'd like to add a new rule:
players have to show up using the name written in the challenge board

arrow-clan vs plus+ match in last (20th) ladle:
all plus+ players had an alias... nothing denied them to do so, but let me say it is a poor way to cheat: the fact that you know who you're facing while your opponent doesn't gives you some advantages.
So, to make it fair we changed names ourselves, but it was a pain since we were confused about our mates too...

Also, one of us thought they were the wrong team (+plus instead of plus+) because they had the tag sign before the name, so it started a stupid fight about the match validity and people from both teams begun spamming about shit, which made everyone nervous (me, at least)

I'd add this rule just to avoid that situation to happen again
we could've played a great game because both teams were good, instead the first 2 matches were so annoying
I hope I'll never play again like tonight, and hope you won't too
-=VcL.Rajinn
Round Winner

Re: LADLE new rule about aliases

Post by -=VcL.Rajinn »

I agree :D

Only person I knew was sine.wav, and thats just because we have his best friend on our team on teamspeak telling us it was him
hoop
Round Winner

Post by hoop »

oh well... just now I realize:
it WAS the wrong team

sine.wav which i recognized too, was in +Plus, according to the challenge board
# +Plus (2020, Concord, Lackadaisical, noobSaibot,sine.wav, wHaTup,)

we should've faced pluS+ instead
# pluS+ (1200, Alien, teen, preSsure, viper, Radian)

this is really annoying

EDIT:
no wait... I'm still wrong XD
so, Rajin if you're sure it was sine.wav playing against you, it was the right team

but well, in the team we faced there was a "square.wav"
see how it is confusing?
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I didn't really care. The only one I thought I knew was sine ("square.wav" if I remember correctly, but you can check the record file i posted in the "ladle 20" topic) too. I think it is ok if they can use aliases. But we had some plus members who asked first things like "which team am i on?" or "what's the server we are playing in now?".

I think clans/groups should be able to manage that. If they cannot do that, it is their own problem.

In prus first ctf tourney it was more easy and we found a way to identify just because of the way we write or our cycle's color. A normal team should be able to cope with that.
Last edited by Word on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-=VcL.Rajinn
Round Winner

Post by -=VcL.Rajinn »

sine.wav used the name "+ multi" when playing us. The rest were using names like QUBIT and goto and other crazy names. Not sure what the strategy was behind these different aliases, but I'm sure they were meaning to confuse us on purpose.
hoop
Round Winner

Post by hoop »

alright
anyway I don't really care about what happened, rather I'm looking forward, for the next games
so please discuss about we should or not apply this rule

we spend lots of words to organize the ladle and to make it as clearer and fairer as possible, so I believe this rule would fit both scopes

of course, any player will be able to write on the challenge board a different alias, but at least the opponents will be sure if they're facing or not the right team and we'll avoid other stupid fights

see my point?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Yes, and I think this ties in with another problem, that of listing players on the challenge board at all. The hard solution is, all players must register somehow, the registration has to be visible, and they can only play under their registered names using authentication. But this doesn't prevent players registering under and alias, or even guarantee they will show up to the event.

It's a tough call.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

We've had teams use aliases extensively before without problems. Really, we just need one rule:
- if you can't manage your team properly, that's your problem.
Just start the games on time.

Signups should be under the players' 'true' names, of course.
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

I can assure you all pluS+ or +Plus matches were played as scheduled, there was no cheating.
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

Unthought out ramble follows:
How do you propose to enforce these rules? Authentication?

Authentication may be a solution for future events, but it would cut out a large portion of current/future players/teams.

There's nothing preventing players swapping between teams currently, for all i know it could be a common occurrence. It comes with the territory of an online game like this. Arma users are ,even with authentication, anonymous. If someone really wanted to, they could create forum/wiki accounts(for authentication) and sign up for several teams under different names, then show up only on the team they think will win.

I'm not saying making a rule for this is a bad idea, just that it would only be enforced by a thin veil of protection (and) the honor system(Which I think works for the most part currently).
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Authentication would not be a bad solution, but we need to get servers in place that force people to. Eddies is the only one that has that right now. This would help get some of the little problems of authentication worked out. like players on older (stable) clients needing to change the name in the name box to the forum account. little things like that. would work much better once 0.2.8.3 is officially released.
hoop
Round Winner

Post by hoop »

sinewav wrote:Yes, and I think this ties in with another problem, that of listing players on the challenge board at all. The hard solution is, all players must register somehow, the registration has to be visible, and they can only play under their registered names using authentication. But this doesn't prevent players registering under and alias, or even guarantee they will show up to the event.
No guys, we are going out of topic.
my argument is not at all about impersonating or smurfing (btw I don't personally care of that)

you all know how often the match beginning are confused, due to several causes
This rule would just reduce those causes and make it easier/faster to know who is gonna play and who's not.
i.e. it would make rather easier for admins/mods to kick/silence who's not playing
Concord wrote:I can assure you all pluS+ or +Plus matches were played as scheduled
no doubt about that
Concord wrote:, there was no cheating.
but why did you use aliases? during our match someone from plus said "...so the aliases worked..." or something like that. I guess you used aliases not just for fun but as a strategy to get an advantage (even if little), that's what I meant when I said "cheating".

Anyway it doesn't matter much, IMO
the best team wins, always

And last: another rule might be that 2 teams cannot have the same tag:
when arrow vs plus was ending, the other plus team which just won another match, started joining waiting for the winner... and the score table was totally unreadable because both teams had just a plus sign before their names.

Let's start to care about simple solutions like that, and everyone will be happy :D
Concord

Post by Concord »

The aliases gave us an advantage, they distracted some of our opponents. I think you'd agree with that ;)
kyle
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

reminds me about a clanwar ct vs TuI
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Ok, so maybe aliases provide an advantage. Personally, I'm not convinced though. Here's why:

1) I go into a competition prepared for anything. Regardless of your name, I will be merciless - even if your name is Ghandi.

2) There are some players I fear. I tremble when I see the name madmax. If he changed his name to Jennifer, I would probably be more relaxed and do better against him.

Sure, I guess the idea is "any alias could potentially hide that awesome fort-killer", and that should have a disturbing effect on me, but it doesn't for some reason. And for the record, I'm perfectly happy using my common name; I just changed it because it was a team decision.

hoop has some good points. This time the confusion over names created a bad effect rather than a good one (or, in addition too the good one). Also, the two divisions of Plus and how to tag them was a problem we were dealing with internally and never fully resolved. Sorry about that Arrows.