Ladle 17

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

owned
Shutout Match Winner

Ladle 17

Post by owned »

Since no one's started a topic yet:

The 17th Tronic Ladle will be played on December 7th, 2008

Challenge Board:
http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... enge_Board
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

so apparently we are gonna try have more teams:
Monkey wrote:I was thinking that we had to have an even number of teams for it to work out mathematically but as durka and owned pointed out to me, we can have any number we want. I got the maths wrong, thinking that 2 teams must fight for a spot but forgetting that the spot in question does not have a team in it. Yes, I am thick, especially for someone that is usually good at maths (although at least I didn't have my entire life phished away from me).

I did say that we may be able to have more than 8 teams this Ladle. Some of the newcomers seem enthusiastic and reliable while others are clearly not. Durka is still batting for 8 teams. I agree that we should start with 8 and if it becomes clear that we have enough for more than 8 very solid teams then we can add more, one by one. Too many people do seem to be "blahzee" about the Ladle when they should actually be glad and grateful to be part of something so great.
The problem with having 9 or even 10 teams is time. It might get too late for some europeans. Should we start it earlier or what?
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

We aren't definitely going to have more than 8 teams, however, it is the first time that the possibility may arise.

If we had 9/10 teams, only the ones that are in the extra round would need to come earlier.
Playing since December 2006
hoop
Round Winner

Post by hoop »

welldone owned
though I'll say again I disapprove the way the spots are choosen... More reasons if there are going to be more more than 8 teams.
I have the feeling that someone is trying to "drive" the thing so the 2 (or 4) weaker teams will have to fight before the quarters. I hope I am wrong: that would be too bad.
Playing one match more than the others teams is a penality imo so, if we really would drive it, the stronger teams should fight before the quarters, but... that would be bad too.
So, as I've already tried to say in the prevoius ladle thread, spots should be assigned randomly by some sort of script... I could make one, like everyone here probably.
Anybody agrees?
freako
Core Dumper

Post by freako »

Off-topic= I guess people should signup fast, 3 spots have been taken already :)
Crazy Tron Addict since : October 2002 <--- Beat that :)
Round Winner

Post by 1200 »

And whatever happened to the idea about having equal number of US servers in the first round and the semis and randomizing the server of the final???
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

again, find US servers and make it concrete..
Round Winner

Post by 1200 »

I will look into it.
So who is actually organizing and making all the decisions regarding Ladle???
freako
Core Dumper

Post by freako »

1200 wrote:I will look into it.
I made all the server/date decisions the last time, so I guess it would be me :?
Round Winner

Post by 1200 »

I will look into it.
freako
Core Dumper

Post by freako »

I've got no problems with the US/EU servers, but we need good stable servers, that can easily hold 16 players.... and atm we only have WW afl for that :?
And... when 2 european teams end up in the semi-s it's just annoying that they have to play at an american server (same with american)
So we also need a system that keeps server changing to a minimum :?
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

No offence freako but I think that Durka has done (and would do) the best job of organising the Ladle. He is well organised, he has played for a very long time, he knows server settings very well, he knows many people, admins and server owners, he posts in many forums and, in general, he seems to know what's what. If we can leave most final decisions to him I think it would be best.

Yes, ok, he got phished but that is in the past and he has learnt from it and people should not make fun at him for it any more. For f***s hake guys, give the guy a break. I trout that salmon would be able to fool him again.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Excuse me, but you are the only to make fun out of him here...and you are telling us to relax on him? what the hell, dude..
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Who's making fun of durka except you, monkey?
Also I don't think it counts to take the highground when you don't register AFTER you've found out what's going on :lol:

On Topic:
The whole point of the ladle is that it's organised by everyone; the players.
That's why everything gets discussed here.
Nice one owned & freako for taking initiative.
Should be a good ladle!
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

epsy and hoax: Jeezus christ, it's all part of a joke, wake up.

hoax: I actually realised that it was phishing before I had any other clues to it...then I did some reading on several forums before coming back to that thread and posting. I always check arma forums first before any others, out of habit.

hoax and epsy are on my ignore list in irc and I silence them in-game using player police but unfortunately, these forums have no automatic ignore/silence feature, so I guess I will just have to ignore them manually from now on...

freako: Nothing personal btw, just that I rate Durka's knowledge and ability to organise and communicate with many people. In the future, with many more players, we could have situations here where people are not agreeing and there is nobody to make the final decision.

I agree with hoop that team positions in the table should be random. The new teams don't even want to have any special treatment for being new. Maybe we could have seedings for the top teams, like in most sports competitions, to prevent the best teams from meeting each other too early on?