Freedomware Gaming Tournament, featuring Armagetron?

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

libervisco
On Lightcycle Grid

Freedomware Gaming Tournament, featuring Armagetron?

Post by libervisco »

Hello everyone!

You may or may have not heard, but in any case here is what's new. :) Nuxified.org and Cluenet.org are organizing a Free Software gaming tournament with the purpose of promoting Free Software games and gaming. The most popular games so far are FPS games like Nexuiz, OpenArena and Tremulous, but there have been a couple of people who signed up so far which also mentioned Armagetron Advanced.

If there will be more players from here interested in the tourney this could ensure that Armagetron is included in the tourney. Not only that, but I am considering making a second promotional video for the tourney, with a sequence of non-FPS scenes including those from Armagetron.

The first promo video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBWoWFF3OYU and here: http://www.libervis.net/misc/freedomwar ... ourney.avi

If you are interested and serious about participating you can sign up here: http://www.nuxified.org/topic/sign_up_h ... he_tourney

Cheers!
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Hello and welcome to the forums! It looks like you definitely have an interesting project going on there. It's awesome that you've got representation for Armagetron, and would be great if it'd be included.

I'll have to think about whether or not to participate myself, but definitely keep us posted on it here. Good luck!
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

nice idea, i'm just wondering...if AA's in the tournament...what game type would be played ?

there are actually mainly 3 different gameplays: last man standing(everyone is put into an arena, tries to kill each other...none respawns and once there's only 1 player remaining, the server starts a new round), fortress (2 teams are trying to conquer an enemy zone by staying in it), CTF(as like other games's one, except flag and base are on different positions, and you should go back into your base to respawn teammates), and sumo(it's like fortress but without teams)

and i'm not talking about marginal gameplays(like hold the flag, lms shooting or DM), variants, and maps
libervisco
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by libervisco »

Thanks for the welcome.

About the game types, it is really something best decided by the players who will be playing AA themselves, whatever is most preferred, as long as there is a way for one player or one team to come out on top as a winner after multiple games... well duh. :D

So it's really open ended. It wouldn't be very prudent for me to go about deciding what type should be played when I'm not even an experienced player.

The tourney is more like a festival of Free Software games. Players come together under the same banner (Freedomware Gaming) and participate in contests of whatever game they prefer. In the end we pronounce the winners of each game. :)

Maybe, if we introduce some sort of a points system we could even find a way to determine the overall best Freedomware gamer of 2007. But that's up for discussion.

In any case, in addition to this thread, Nuxified gaming forum is open for all tournament related discussions: http://www.nuxified.org/forums/free_sof ... ertainment

Cheers
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

How about the AFL as the Armagetron Tournament?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

DDMJ wrote:How about the AFL as the Armagetron Tournament?
I thought about that, Durka. And have been mulling over how to approach the subject. I think instead of making the AFL the Armagetron Tournament for these guys, they should play a sumo tournament (or regular old last man standing).

Would you be interested in throwing in with these guys for another TST?

Then I was thinking it would be better if the AFL just gets a few plugs, you know, show the players that the armagetron community is already pretty well-organized as far as competitions go (even though we probably have 1 of 5 proposed competitions that actually go on, it wouldn't surprise me if we still have a pretty good success rate over all). I'm assuming that much of this gaming festival will be generic gamers, people who may have played arma a little bit, or haven't even seen it. Might be better instead of trying to assimilate them into the AFL to instead extend some support to build a good arma component of the festival that will suck in more players. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Sumo definitely would be the best game mode for this event, IMHO. I don't think the team modes (CTF and Fortress) would work, they require too much coordination to play right.
Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

How about Classic play? Shouldn't that be the one played, since.. it's the classic mode?
DDMJ

Post by DDMJ »

z-man wrote:Sumo definitely would be the best game mode for this event, IMHO. I don't think the team modes (CTF and Fortress) would work, they require too much coordination to play right.
Well, for sumo, you actually need to be decent at it to do well. But, for fortress, you can rely on your teammates as well, so if you fuckup, that doesn't necessarily mean you lose ;).
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Sounds like TST is the best, then. :) Why don't you help him to setup for a TST for the arma component of their festival? Really, you're the man for that, Durka. (And I can't believe I just said that)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

In fortress one bad player can ruin a whole team, that's why there are so many people kicked the whole time.
Starbuck
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Starbuck »

classic team play like the movIE?

8) :lol:
Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy.

Ludwig van Beethoven
DDMJ

Post by DDMJ »

Lackadaisical wrote:In fortress one bad player can ruin a whole team, that's why there are so many people kicked the whole time.
Good point...that's why you rarely see kick votes in sumo servers.
Walking Tree
Match Winner

Post by Walking Tree »

I'm definitely participating in the tournament, and in the Armagetron part thereof.

I myself would have suggested classic play or something shrunkland-style, but sumo is a nice idea too. I suppose we could have both sumo and classic...
on the grid as ~free::zombie~
libervisco
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by libervisco »

If Armagetron Advanced is to be a part of this game festival we still need more players signed up for it. You need to be signed up on the official thread here: http://www.nuxified.org/topic/sign_up_h ... he_tourney so that you can be counted.

So it ultimately depends on the Armagetron community if there will be an armagetron tournament in Freedomware Gamefest 2007 ( http://www.freedomware-gamefest.com ). If we have enough players we will need to discuss the guidelines WITH the Armagetron community and set up the appropriate structure and schedules.

Otherwise, it'll be off.