Pig Sty Patch

The Sty server, let us know your thoughts, suggestions...

Moderator: the pig

the pig
Average Program

Pig Sty Patch

Post by the pig »

Starting a new thread for the patch as the old one has too much old stuff.

This patch was built from the SVN 0.2.8 branch. Please check that branch out from SVN, apply this patch, and build.
Attachments
pigsty-061021.zip
Pig Sty Patch for 0.2.8 SVN branch
(59.25 KiB) Downloaded 1231 times
groundpigs don't fly
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

!!! GROSS RESOURCE STANDARD VIOLATION: Do not use that patch! >_<

There must never be two different resources with the same filepath (author/category/name/version combination)!

That being said, here is a fixed patch which includes my earlier changes...
Attachments
pigsty-061021-ljr2.patch.bz2
(31.64 KiB) Downloaded 731 times
the pig
Average Program

Post by the pig »

Luke-Jr wrote:!!! GROSS RESOURCE STANDARD VIOLATION: Do not use that patch! >_<
Umm, way to overreact? Maybe take this in stride instead of yelling.

Technically, any of the ways we've ever run the CTF code violate this rule. Since we've been forbidden to upload new DTDs with new zone types, even though this won't hurt a client, we have to update the maps locally on the server to include the new DTD plus the new zones.

The only change in this patch is that there are 2 different maps included with the same version, with different CTF layouts.

As this is only a local server patch to create different server configurations depending on which map is used, I hardly think this is an issue.

Can you give some constructive feedback on that approach?
groundpigs don't fly
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

the pig wrote:
Luke-Jr wrote:!!! GROSS RESOURCE STANDARD VIOLATION: Do not use that patch! >_<
Umm, way to overreact? Maybe take this in stride instead of yelling.
There is no reason or excuse to justify that horrible violation. :O
the pig wrote:Technically, any of the ways we've ever run the CTF code violate this rule.
Why is it so hard to bump a version number??
the pig wrote:Since we've been forbidden to upload new DTDs with new zone types, even though this won't hurt a client, we have to update the maps locally on the server to include the new DTD plus the new zones.
What was the reason for that anyhow?
the pig wrote:The only change in this patch is that there are 2 different maps included with the same version, with different CTF layouts.
Not nearly the only change, and you missed even the change there:
1) The modified 1flag map was renamed to resolve the ugly conflict
2) The examples were renamed and added to the Makefile properly
3) Everything was collected together into a single patch file
the pig wrote:As this is only a local server patch to create different server configurations depending on which map is used, I hardly think this is an issue.
Resource conflicts are always a big issue.
the pig wrote:Can you give some constructive feedback on that approach?
Constructive? Erm... "Don't do it" or "Increment the version or change the name/author", maybe... If you made the change, technically you're supposed to change the author anyway... then you could leave name and version alone, though that'd be a bit ugly still even if valid.
the pig
Average Program

Post by the pig »

Luke,

The approach I was using was the one suggested by Your_mom. Maybe you could explain to me why this is such a huge deal that you felt the need to tell everyone not to use my patch.

This is what I'm running, this is what I'm maintaining. I'm not maintaining the changes you made in your patch. I'd appreciate it you deleted it off of this post and created your own post.

This isn't an official patch in anyway, and was never meant to be. There may be no excuse in your mind to use the maps that way that I did (as instructed), but there is also no excuse for you to be such an ass, especially after the work I did specifically to fix the bugs that were showing up on just your server.

All technical issues aside, I'd like an apology. What did I do to deserve this treatment?
groundpigs don't fly
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

Well, I used the pig's patch. Worked fine for me. Think I'll stick with that one.
I can't see what the big problem is with it.
To run a pig server, the admin needs a certain level of understanding of how the map system works anyhow. Renaming/bumping a version aint exactly rocket science.

Maybe your suggestion does make sense, but I think a simple "perhaps you should think about doing it this way..." would have worked a lot better.
Pig has done a lot of great work here. No need to be so abrupt.
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

the pig wrote:The approach I was using was the one suggested by Your_mom. Maybe you could explain to me why this is such a huge deal that you felt the need to tell everyone not to use my patch.
Because it's broken.
the pig wrote:This is what I'm running, this is what I'm maintaining. I'm not maintaining the changes you made in your patch. I'd appreciate it you deleted it off of this post and created your own post.
That's sure a nice way to treat bug fixing.
the pig wrote:there is also no excuse for you to be such an a**, especially after the work I did specifically to fix the bugs that were showing up on just your server.
On that matter, Your mom informs me the bugs are still around. But how is it so bad to return the favour by fixing general bugs in your patch?
the pig wrote:All technical issues aside, I'd like an apology. What did I do to deserve this treatment?
What did I do to deserve having to be left to fix the same bugs repeatedly?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Oh great, the master of conflict resolution speaks :roll:

If this was a classroom and me the teacher, I'd send you both to opposite corners to be ashamed of yourself. Luke, really, your initial post was a bit loud and offensive. Pig, you should know Luke a bit. Sometimes he doesn't know better. Making demands won't help.
I'm not familiar enough with the topic at hand, haven't looked at the patches, so I don't know who of you, if anyone, is technically guilty, and frankly, I don't care. Be a bit civilized.
the pig
Average Program

Post by the pig »

I don't have a lot of time to spend on this. With my setup on windows + TortoiseSVN, I can't easily apply your patch and see what the differences are. I've found TortoiseSVN sucks in general with patching support.

When I ask for constructive feedback, here is what I mean. Instead of saying "Because it's broken.", explain to me exactly what the problem is and what symptoms it will cause. I'm asking because I haven't seen any issues, and I don't know what the problem is.
groundpigs don't fly
iNsTiNcT

Post by iNsTiNcT »

can someone help me use that for my server..i want ctf
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Sure, but we'd need more information. See for example this thread with someone having a similar request:
http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=10131
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

I made some changes for 4-team fortress:
  • Re- introduced the FORTRESS_MAX_PER_TEAM setting. Why was it deleted in the first place?
  • If GOAL_ROUND_END is set to 1 hitting a goal doesn't remove the ball from the game anymore, nor does it make the team who hit the ball the last time win. Instead it just makes the zone collapse like a fortress zone, and if there's only one zone left that team wins.
  • Of course, while the zone is collapsing the ball doesn't have any effect on it
Here's the patch for the patch:

Code: Select all

--- src/tron/gWinZone.cpp.old   2006-11-26 12:15:16.000000000 +0100
+++ src/tron/gWinZone.cpp       2006-11-26 12:21:49.000000000 +0100
@@ -1552,6 +1552,7 @@

// maximal number of base zones ownable by a team
 static int sg_baseZonesPerTeam = 0;
+static tSettingItem< int > sg_baseZonesPerTeamCinfig( "FORTRESS_MAX_PER_TEAM", sg_baseZonesPerTeam );
 // flag indicating whether base will respawn team if a team player enters it
 static bool sg_baseRespawn = false;
 static tSettingItem<bool> sg_baseRespawnConfig ("BASE_RESPAWN", sg_baseRespawn);
@@ -2172,6 +2173,7 @@

void gBaseZoneHack::OnEnter( gZone * target, REAL time )
 {
+    if(currentState_ == State_Conquering || currentState_ == State_Conquered) return; //it already hit the zone.
     gBallZoneHack *ball = dynamic_cast<gBallZoneHack *>(target);

if (ball)
@@ -2219,11 +2221,13 @@
             // check if the round should end or we should respawn the ball
             if (sg_goalRoundEnd)
             {
-                static const char* message="$player_win_instant";
-                sg_DeclareWinner( lastTeam, message );
+                //static const char* message="$player_win_instant";
+                //sg_DeclareWinner( lastTeam, message );

-                // destroy the ball
-                ball->Destroy();
+                //// destroy the ball
+                //ball->Destroy();
+                OnConquest();
+                currentState_ = State_Conquering;
             }
             else
             {
Have fun :D
There's no place like ::1
iNsTiNcT

Post by iNsTiNcT »

i go to phpfm 0.2.3...steam-team runs my server...how would i get it on there....
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

iNsTiNcT wrote:i go to phpfm 0.2.3...steam-team runs my server...how would i get it on there....
I don't know what the deal is with the steam machine. You have ssh access?
If you do, you need to apply the patch to the source and recompile.
If not, you need to ask the admin to do this for you.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

ok, another patch. This adds/fixes the above, plus the ball zones don't store the cycle that last touched them, but the player whose cycle did.
This makes it possible for the zone to find out who scored a goal even if the cycle that scored it was destroyed in the meantime.

To apply it:
  • apply pig's patch to the latest 0.2.8 SVN
  • svn revert src/tron/gWinZone.* src/tron/gCycle.*
  • apply my patch
There's no place like ::1