Hold The Flag Sty

The Sty server, let us know your thoughts, suggestions...

Moderator: the pig

the pig
Average Program

Hold The Flag Sty

Post by the pig »

Hold The Flag is up now on the Pig Sty, based on a suggestion by Your_mom.

Hold the flag to score points. Current settings are 10 points every 10 seconds. Automatic respawning. Thats about it.

Let me know if you see any issues, like it, hate it. I'll leave it up for a couple days just to make sure its working.
groundpigs don't fly
xevic
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by xevic »

not a bad idea, but it fomments camping, if u want to win u just take the flag and go away from everyone using walls to close persecutors and u easy will win the match, maybe it will help if u can take max 3 periods (about 30 points) the flag and then it is dropped to the center. i know it is implemented cause we used this feature on the ctf server we hosted, can make it more funny and fair.
Visca el Barça! CUIG (See you in game) and don't forget to sing with us: lalalalala ;)
Core Dumper

Post by newbie »

imho cycle_delay is too samall for such kind of game mode, also mayby too much rubber

like xevi said, its easy to win the match if you already have the flag
1, 4, 6, 9, 11, 21, 24, 33, 34, 35

the pig
Average Program

Post by the pig »

How about shortening up the wall length? I want to try to promote dog-fighting.

I just changed it to 50 from 200. I could go shorter even. I decreased the rubber a bit too.

If it still isn't working out, I'll try changing the hold time so it gets sent back home, but that will just make people camp the home position.
groundpigs don't fly
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

maybe a map like this one?
http://crazy-tronners.com/images/warp.png
http://crazy-tronners.com/resource/ed/m ... .aamap.xml
probably arena_size set to about 0.5 cycle_walls perhaps 1000. I would go with fortress style physics, simply because it makes camping that much more skillful.
With these settings it would make holding onto the flag a tad more difficult.
xevic
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by xevic »

yes maybe setting slower turns can help to avoid people changing direction so easy. making a 180 there is instant and make runaway so easy.

i like the new map, it is better, all more closed, but i think a square will be better, now a player go to a little wing and defend himself better than in just center.

it will be nice if u put more rubber on laggy players.

about flag return i didn't notice it happens, maybe a 20 points max? i don't think people will camp center cause all will want to and then all will die.

to finish my last suggestion, i think this game mode has so much players, maybe 6 as max will be better, less messy and then the lag will go down 2.

btw thx 4 this great work pig.
Visca el Barça! CUIG (See you in game) and don't forget to sing with us: lalalalala ;)
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

Deos everyone remember when lag wasn't just in you head? When it was programmed right into the game. That's what I feel like when I play on this server. I'll just be driving along and then BAM! someone has magically cut me off and I'm dead. I'm not sure what is causing it, but if really does feel like those old pre0.2.7.2 type lagslides and bindings. Where you magically move to the oppposite side of a tail. Or you're completely in the clear, and then you're not. I haven't experienced that since old shrunkland.
I wont be playing that server much anyways, so if i'm the only one experiencing this, then don't worry. But you might want to look into it.
This post does not come with any form of Warranty or Return Policy.
If you're unhappy with this post, please feel free to suck it up and move on.
the pig
Average Program

Post by the pig »

ed: I think I'll experiment with some more fortress style physics.

xevic: Good suggestions, I'll give those a try. I'll try out a 30 point max for flag holding, after which it goes back to center. I think you're right about less people too.

Fonkay: My little connection isn't that great for running a server :B) Actually, I think the problems you're noticing are due to the respawn. As the round goes on, there are severe effects on FPS and gameplay. This is actually a known problem, but not sure if anything can be done about it. I have the same 5 minute limit in as I did with CTF, but HTF has rapid respawning, so the problem is much worse.

Hopefully decreasing the number of players will help.

Thanks!
groundpigs don't fly
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

I'm not talking specifcally about the fps. I did notice the drop in frames, but I didn't point that out for obvious reasons. What I'm experiencing happens from the beginning of the round even. And it's not you average lag, it's more like everyone else is lagging, but I'm not.
This post does not come with any form of Warranty or Return Policy.
If you're unhappy with this post, please feel free to suck it up and move on.