WTF happened to sty ball

The Sty server, let us know your thoughts, suggestions...

Moderator: the pig

tonybbb
Average Program

WTF happened to sty ball

Post by tonybbb »

Its not there anymore what happened?
Signature:
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

Styball was sort of a PITA for me, that's why I took it offline. It crashed from time to time, sucking all available CPU time and causing lag on my other servers. I've received far fewer lag complaints on café than I did when styball was still running.
I like the idea of styball, maybe I'll try bringing it back up.
There's no place like ::1
tonybbb
Average Program

Post by tonybbb »

wrtlprnft wrote:Styball was sort of a PITA for me, that's why I took it offline. It crashed from time to time, sucking all available CPU time and causing lag on my other servers. I've received far fewer lag complaints on café than I did when styball was still running.
I like the idea of styball, maybe I'll try bringing it back up.

Yeah it was fun actually VERY FUN lol
Signature:
Nicoletta
On Lightcycle Grid

I could (and would) run a dedicated Styball server...

Post by Nicoletta »

... If only because i damned well LOVED styball.

Problem beeing, i'm just a Luser without a clue HOW to get a styball server running - i can't seem to even get my server publically accessible.

( WinXP user, just downloaded the game after about a year of inactivity - Would run the server whenever i'm not using the extra box to do stuff i NEED it for )

So - Any information on where to get, how to enable the sty patch and finally, how to run a styball server game would be appreciated.

Just pop me a PM here - though i can be found in-game as Nicoletta, floating about the various servers.

Thanks in advance. :)
"I've played Pagan Pac-Man - it goes 'Wicca Wicca Wicca Wicca...' " - Tom Servo, Unknown MSTer.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

To get styball running, you have to be running Linux. You have to compile from source and patch the code. Not as scary as it sounds, but not for the faint of heart.
The crazy tronners have a very advanced version of a styball server up that is very sophisticated. I actually have the configs and am thinking of cloning eventually.
As an exercise to learn more about the styball patch, and how things work, I am thinking of putting up a basic styball server. If I get one working, I will share the configs with the community!

Keep an eye out for The Server Pharm: Classic Sty Ball Hockey Style
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

-=VcL.Rajinn
Round Winner

Post by -=VcL.Rajinn »

cafe has been running smoother i noticed, now i know why :D
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

-=VcL.Rogue wrote:cafe has been running smoother i noticed, now i know why :D
Because wrtl turned styball off in 2007?
btw, if setting up a styball server I would use sty+ct over sty branch. Voodoo fixed a couple of the ball on wall bugs that plagued the sty release.
I don't think these fixes made it to the sty branch.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Point me into the right direction and they'll make it in :) But yeah, while you're fetching stuff from bzr, you may as well get ct+sty directly. It's not any more work.
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

You really want to open this can o' worms? :)
The original styball suffered from a bug where occasionally the ball would get stuck to the wall and spasm around the wall while players tried to free it. If it didn't free itself it would usually eventually work its way to one of the goals, but would often take a while.
Voodoo attempted to fix this and, iirc, ended up rewriting a large portion of the ball bounce code, also intruducing a couple of new features like a setting to allow you to boost the ball if you were boosting.
This introduced two new bugs:
1. Since the ball is solid, and so are the players, and so is the wall, if the ball got positioned between a player and another player or a wall, the ball will pop.
2. The ball will now sometimes escape from the arena and drift off into the abyss.
To overcome this a new setting was introduced that will reposition the ball at its original position should either of these two bugs occur.

You see that 2nd wall on chico's styball? that doesn't exist on the server's version of the map. If it did the ball would get stuck between the 2 walls for eternity.

Where in the code all this resides I have no idea.
Is it worth the effort to replace one bug with other bugs? I don't know.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

ed wrote:You really want to open this can o' worms? :)
Thinking again, no :) I'll leave this interesting task to the brave people porting styball to zones v2.
Nicoletta
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Nicoletta »

Well, i've been trying for the past two days to get a normal server to turn up in the master list before i start digging around the can of worms that is styball - and can't even get that done.

I can login through custom just fine, and it even shows up as a lan game on my other boxes, but despite port forwarding by the book through another post on these forums (that used Portforward.com and, if memory serves, f22 raptor as an example game ) - i can't get it done.

... i'm about ready to throw in the towel before i'm even getting started T__T

Halp ?
"I've played Pagan Pac-Man - it goes 'Wicca Wicca Wicca Wicca...' " - Tom Servo, Unknown MSTer.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

You seem to have done all the basic steps. Can you tell your IP and server name? Then we can check the master logs.
Nicoletta
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Nicoletta »

the server's IP is 192.168.1.34 and it's name is "Nicoletta's Haven" ?

^_^ i -can- get in it as a lan game or by accessing it via custom connect... it's just not showing up on your master server list.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

That's your LAN IP :) Check www.whatismyip.com for your public IP.