Could we please organize an effort to update the main site.

Something busted with it? Give a shout.
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Re: Could we please organize an effort to update the main si

Post by aP|Nelg »

Jip wrote:I just wanted to note, that Lackadaisical made a theme for Wordpress a while ago.
Look here: http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 17&start=0
neat!
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I'd totally forgotten about armaunifed. We definitely should be bringing that to the mainsite... 4 years later. :o

I'm now even more leaning towards WordPress.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

I remember there being at one time some annoying things with the layout of the forums in armaunified theme, I honestly don't remember what it was, But I do remember using in on the wiki all the time.
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

I can understand some arguments to use Wordpress, but really, it's full of exploits (not always the core but many plugins), if you want to extend it with own plugins, the code is a mess.
I made a wordpress site for a client and ended in writing my own framework for easier plugin development :/
The codebase is just the point of view of developers, but the security risks are too big in my oppinion.

As for drupal, I find it not slim enough for such a simple thing like the arma main page.

If it's going to be something with php, pyrocms is not bad. It has a simple to use underlying framework (codeigniter) and is very easy to extend.
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

if you are willing to use better framework than wordpress go for http://codeigniter.com
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

There's nothing about PyroCMS that shouts "use me! use me!" to me. I also don't like that they have a paid "professional" version, which I feel they're trying very hard to push. Also calling the "add-on" page the "store"...

I definitely wouldn't be up for working with a framework directly.

Yet more to consider...
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Maybe we should survey the community to see what they want in the mainsite? Then we can decide what technology would best suit the wants of the community. Note: their want's Don't have to be in the initial release, so if we want the nightly builds, we can add that in at a latter time.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

That's a pretty good idea. I'm more than willing to hear about what people would like to see! (Consider this thread as a home for comments on future content welcome, everyone.)
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

I have more ideas than I need; I'll post something eventually.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

drupal like a **********. Im actually quite good at it too, I work with it daily.

Also, yeah, its time to move away from html some jackass made in his spare time in the 90s for our main site, makes us look like the jackasses we are. Im rather surprised our forums have never gotten owned. Im guessing thats due to our lack of standing if you search for tron on google.

As for drupal not being slim enough, why exactly is our mainsite so ******* useless? There is no reason to be, we can incorporate all the various resources into once place easily.

I can prolly port the theme to it in a coupla hours given the source to work and some screenshots.