Site design and updating it

Something busted with it? Give a shout.
nux
Round Winner

Site design and updating it

Post by nux »

Can anybody fill me on previous discussions about the subject? Ive heard Lacka made a new design but Tank didnt want to push it. Is there a reason why the site hasnt been updated in years?
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Re: Site design and updating it

Post by Tank Program »

http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 58&t=20117
http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 58&t=19375

We've discussed it before. Those are the most recent threads about it that I could easily find. As for why it hasn't been done yet, I don't think anyone has really had the time or motivation to do it.

Edit: Might as well say a bit more. Yes there is the new design, it's not that I didn't specifically want to push it, as I said above, lack of motivation. The new theme has been up on the forums for some time. I'm not sure if it was ever ported as a Wiki theme. It's all on launchpad.
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Tank Program wrote:I'm not sure if it was ever ported as a Wiki theme. It's all on launchpad.
It was on the wiki until the wiki was moved.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

Yeah I made a wordpress theme/template here: http://kingsofthegrid.net/armanet/ I thought it would be easiest/best to just use wordpress and adjust it for our needs. But yeah I haven't touched in a year or so.
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

Oh, totally missed this board, so sorry for the offtopic thread.

I already got an idea for a new site, but ive been busy as hell with (paid) work so didnt finish. I will probably be pushing this to my lp and you guys can checkout it.
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

Lackadaisical wrote:Yeah I made a wordpress theme/template here: http://kingsofthegrid.net/armanet/ I thought it would be easiest/best to just use wordpress and adjust it for our needs. But yeah I haven't touched in a year or so.
This site looks impressive! It's a shame we're not using it!

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Yeah, we should get around to updating... (It really does look nice - I'd forgotten how much so.)
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

Ill be on it when im done with some paid work i have. But do you really think wordpress is a good idea? I think it will make the process more annoying.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

nux wrote:Ill be on it when im done with some paid work i have. But do you really think wordpress is a good idea? I think it will make the process more annoying.
I realised that WordPress may have been a major component contributing to not-get-it-done syndrome on my part. All in all I don't like it very much and it generally has a bad security track record. For something we don't update a lot, using software that requires regular updates isn't so great. (Think all the problems with the Wiki, but worse. By the way, thank you whoever is taking care of that now. MediaWiki is not one of my favourite bits of software either.) I personally like the static update system using SVN, but I'm also the one that set that up in the first place. There may be a better middle ground for flexibility of design and updatability.
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

what about joomla or TYPO3?

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Using my knee-jerk reaction, as CMSes I immediately classify them as worse and automatically more bloated than WordPress. This probably isn't the case, and to be honest they probably are more secure and less likely to be hacked. It still feels a bit like overkill though. Does anyone have any experience with any sort of lightweight CMS? Something that really just serves up static pages and plugins? No multi-user complexities? Maybe no users at all, but reads off static files - more like the current system?
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

I could mash together a quick blog engine with django depending on what python versions you have available.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

We're using SkyBlueCanvas for my wife's site ( http://simamo.de ) which is lightweight (just uses local files, no database), but it's not very good.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

I don't really care what cms is used; if the design is still wanted, theming/templating is easy for me. Back when I made the decision to go for wp it was mostly because I wanted to move away from the completely custom thing that Tank made for the old site because I felt it was a lot of rebuilding the wheel and he was the only one who could maintain it.
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

Totally agree with Tank, we are better off writing static HTML and update it using a CVS. If any, we could use a lightweight framework like Django, CodeIgniter or Elephant (not sure of spelling). But even then, we only need a few bits of them, which can be easily "stolen" from their code.

Maybe we should discuss the website's content first, what would change and how often, who should be making those changes, etc.