Site design and updating it

Something busted with it? Give a shout.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Re: Site design and updating it

Post by Tank Program »

SBC looks interesting. I'll look at it a bit more and do a trial installation locally.

I think for content we can quite easily start with everything we've already got, and modify from there. There have been discussions about this previously as well.
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

Ill get SBC too, to check the source. But do we really need a CMS? Sure its easy to edit, but dont forget the pain of updating it.

On a side note:
System Requirements

PHP v4-5.x running on Linux, Unix, FreeBSD, OpenBSD or MacOS X
Sorry, Windows servers are not supported at this time
A FTP Client (Get FileZilla from Mozilla for free)
mod_rewrite enabled (optional but recommended)
JavaScript enabled in your web browser
ಠ-ಠ
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

SFTP or SSH (i.e. local filesystem access) will work perfectly fine instead - as near as I can tell it's only for installation. We probably don't _need_ a CMS, but the point raised before was that the current site is rather hacky. Less software that you don't have to support yourself makes it easier all around.
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

Tank Program wrote:SFTP or SSH (i.e. local filesystem access) will work perfectly fine instead - as near as I can tell it's only for installation.
I was just making fun of REQUIRING FTP as the only way to upload the files. This gives me the impression of it being targeted for newbs.
Tank Program wrote:We probably don't _need_ a CMS, but the point raised before was that the current site is rather hacky. Less software that you don't have to support yourself makes it easier all around.
I beg to differ for this particular case. Think of the software we need to set up a site just like the current one, think what software it uses. If anything, i think we have a better chance of integrating phpBB into the site instead, make a script which reads the threads in a new News board and displays them on the front page. If we do use a CMS for this, it will be much more hacky. Whats more important, we wont need an extra account (would be 3 with CMS) to add content. If we do integrate forums, we solve the hacky updating process we have. Im not sure how the forum is set up, but i dont think its complicated.
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

The only way I would consider forums integration would be in the form of showing recent posts. I am not fond of the idea of using it as a CMS. It's not meant for that and really is a bad hack in my opinion.

Finding the right balance of software really is quite tricky.
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

Well, thats exactly what im saying, displaying some posts on the homepage. The only difference is im saying for a particular topic, and you are saying last posts. This is just a matter or querying the forum database; i have done this for MyBB before. You can even find some code samples for phpBB.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 2&t=842715
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0&t=628545

I honestly do think showing some threads on the homepage is better than getting a CMS. The news section is the only dynamic thing we need, and getting yet another system for this seems like an overkill. But then again, im not quite sure what content should go in the new site (does anybody?).
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

what about using chyrp for the news-site?

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

What is it with lightweight CMS and their site? Most values in http://chyrp.net/code/files/includes/common-php.html are duplicated.

I still believe a CMS is too much for what its needed.
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

wordpress fits your needs exactly. I'm obviously not as in tune with whatever security standards, but I've never had any problems. Lack also already has the design for it.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Chyrp looks pretty slick visually. Code wise it probably is lighter than WordPress at least. It also looks like it has an awful upgrade process though. It's probably not for us.

I resist WordPress because, to me at least, it isn't a great piece of software. I find it frustrating to use and difficult to program for. Writing a module is just manageable, but actually poking around in the code isn't fun at all. I suppose the last applies to any big piece of PHP software though.
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

Finding the perfect software is an exhausting task, one i avoid like the plague and choose to build my own system. I wont be pushing my suggestion any further, as its not ultimately up to me. But one thing i did mention on IRC today (not sure if you caught it) is that i would hate for this to end up like lacka's idea, forgotten and with nobody interested enough to keep working on it.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Tank, I understand your viewpoint. Let me share a different viewpoint with you. WordPress, with one of several extensions, and a custom theme, could integrate forum posts very easily. The idea with WordPress is to leverage, as much as possible, the work of others and do as little hacking as possible. I doubt that you would need to do any to achieve the goals you have established for the main site. Since the authors of the plugins you would be using would update, as time goes on, to being comapatible with the latest version. You can easily keep things secure and updated. Personally, I would much rather that you just keep the WordPress install upgraded and put any potential programming time into .4 and beyond.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

And then again, everybody lost interest.
snake
Average Program

Post by snake »

Can't we just use css/html ? It can look very nice if you know how ;)