Lets go ahead and make the new site

Something busted with it? Give a shout.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Re: Lets go ahead and make the new site

Post by Jonathan »

It seems the quality of video sites is pretty even today. Just have good source quality and put it where people will find it. The only way to get a significant quality boost is to do your own high-quality encode and share the file. Also remember that today you can't quite mock "YouTube quality" the way you used to do. It started as, what, 200 kbps 320x240 Sorenson Spark? Now you have 4000 kbps 1920x1080 H.264. I'd wish for higher bitrates (given enough bandwidth) to actually bring out those "HD" pixels, but it's quite acceptable. :)
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

This is the highest quality video I have: arma_game _trailer.zip Feel free to do something with it.

:roll: If you had any idea how bad my system is... There is a limit to what you can squeeze out of a 9 year old IMB laptop.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

madmax wrote:About the current mockup:
- maybe keep the Main Site + Wiki + Forums bar at the top? I see that here it's that way already.
I thought it would be too busy for the frontpage (as it would push down the video and the news), that's why you have the menus right below the video/latest news. They are indeed still there on any other page.

And yeah I don't think the video quality will be much better since the source doesn't have such a high resolution either.. Which sucks, because the editing is really nice.

I'm not really sure how we could do this...I suppose we don't have another person on this forum who has some experience with editing videos and also has a nice enough computer to do it in a higher resolution?
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

For the video, I can figure out how to get my video-output code working if someone who plays "cool" makes me a debug recording with trunk ;)
To investigate: http://www.kaltura.org/project/HTML5_Vi ... pt_Library

I propose we get an open development of the new site up on beta.armagetronad.net ASAP (maybe under a subdir?) and plan to do the actual site-swap to coincide with 0.4; in this case, content should all be centered on 0.4 being stable, not 0.2.8.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

Luke-Jr wrote: I propose we get an open development of the new site up on beta.armagetronad.net ASAP (maybe under a subdir?) and plan to do the actual site-swap to coincide with 0.4; in this case, content should all be centered on 0.4 being stable, not 0.2.8.
Sorry but I totally missed this comment before :|

Anyway I think that's a good idea luke, is it something you can you do or do I need to contact tank about this? let me know what you need me to do.
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

Lackadaisical wrote: [*]Decide what kind of CMS should be used
Along that you might want to take a look at this -> http://www.lpi-clan.de/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3550
even though it's german I guess you will get what I mean :)

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

Lackadaisical wrote:Anyway I think that's a good idea luke, is it something you can you do or do I need to contact tank about this? let me know what you need me to do.
I'd chat up z-man or Tank on IRC... While beta.aa.net is in Subversion itself, I think a new bzr repository for a subdirectory that we can easily move to the main site later (as a stable branch?) is fitting...
warclown
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by warclown »

I have experience in editing videos, and can render in High Res and HD using most codecs.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

That would be cool warclown, do you have any examples of your work? I've been a big fan of the trailer sine made, but anything that shows off some different types of gameplay and customization (like different moviepacks and camera setups) would be good.
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

*bump*

Is somebody still working on it?
I am offering my help. Can do php html and css.
blondie
Core Dumper

Post by blondie »

working on polishing this for modern browsers and porting to wordpress (I don't believe lacka's stuff was ever coded for wp at all), will put initial commit on svn/github soon
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

There was a wordpress installation running with this theme. I coded a plugin what displayed the download links of the latest stable and development versions from sourceforge snapshots. I don't have the link anywhere though (need to dig my emails more later).
Maybe lacka can give more infos?
blondie
Core Dumper

Post by blondie »

Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

blondie wrote:initial commit on svn/github soon
We actually have a bzr repository for this stuff! https://code.launchpad.net/~armagetrona ... nad/themes
blondie
Core Dumper

Post by blondie »

no, I'm aware of that. None of lacka's wordpress work is there.