friendly main page-proposal

Something busted with it? Give a shout.
destiny
Average Program

Re: friendly main page-proposal

Post by destiny »

I misunderstood what I was being told on IM, along with interpretting lack's comment as being defensive. I apologize. Now that I know you are willing to look at different styles, I will continue. I'm looking at using a CMS this way others will be able to edit the webite, much in the way the wiki is edited. I will post when I have a working template up. I don't know when that will be, I am going out of town next week for a course and I have no idea if the dorms have internet access. Zurd is out of pocket from now until I leave so our timing sucks. But as soon as I have something, I will let you all know.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I'll also point out that there's no reason the theme for the forums and wiki can't be adjusted either, to keep the consistent feel.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

Not really a bump since it's still at the top of the forums, but is there any progress here?
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

destiny wrote:OK seriously no offense at all, buy ya'll sound like Manta. In fact he said a bunch of stuff that I didn't understand when I showed him the layout I had in mind. He talks over my head about a lot of stuff related to tron, and that's what I feel like right now. ;) I'm just a simple, ordinary person just like the majority of the crowd of people who are likely to encounter your webpage and/or try out the game and want to play it, thus growing the community. I appreciate the fact that you guys are all literally geniuses, but the average person doesn't understand what you guys are talking about.
What we are talking about does not concern the average person. It concerns the people working on this project. The people working on this project understand these terms. If you don't, either get an interpreter or educate yourself. Tank Program could create a word replacer to replace "community" with " unified body of individuals" but the reason we make new words is so we don't have to use a lot of small ones. Technical jargon is part of a new toolbox that we use these days. Many people, myself included, pick it up without any classes, books or instruction. Try to put up a mural without knowing how to paint or designing one without the terms to describe it to an executor.
Forutunaly, Zurd knows exactly what you guys are talking about and that is why I pulled him into my insanity of taking on this project.
Ok. So you got an interpreter. Thats fine, but now you are not dependent on him an we all know it, hard to be a leader when you are not independent.
What I'm trying to do, is take this incredible game, designed, updated and maintained by computer programming geniuses and get it into a format which ordinary people can understand and use. I think that is what appa was trying to do earlier in his post, which I read after I made my proposal. He doesn't have the time and he got frustrated with you guys
Without the time, how can one expect to accomplish anything in the first place?
for the same reason that I felt a bit lost after reading your posts. However I'm used to working with a genius (Manta) on stuff so I think I can do this ;)
The game wasn't built by one person, neither will this. Its already had 4 or 5 direct contributors, and more have given ideas and comments.
I really want you guys to be happy with the end product,
phew
but it will have to be understandable to the average person,
You're definitely not that
so I hope you guys will just trust me on certain things.
On what basis? Trust, like respect, is not given, it is earned. And you haven't earned any from me, at least.
I'm an expert at dealing with the market crowd we are trying to pitch tron to.
You are? May I have some evidence of your expertise?
Let's keep the goal in mind and not get lost in the minute details.
You actually have a really good point here. :)
Zurd and I will keep your concerns in mind as we venture out on this.
What gives you exclusive rights to "this." Its open source, learn to share.
My roll will be somewhat more of a public relations consultant, leaving you guys to more of the technical details. But I am willing to take this all the way down the road when the rubber meets the pavement. I may not know how to do all the things that need to be done, but that's why we will need to work together on some stuff.
Duh...And right now, I don't want you as a public relations person.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Now this is one instance of a very annoying post dissecting reply.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

...and dissecting a post that's a few weeks old too? It sounds out of character on top of it. Hmm... Bad day I guess.
destiny
Average Program

Post by destiny »

wow concord, that was a little harsh. i have been making progress, but i'm not sure it's really wanted after reading concords post.

i'm just trying to help. i have been trying to promote the game and i get quite a few people to take a look at the site and then they aren't impressed with the site and don't want to bother looking at the actual game, or they get the game downloaded and don't know where to go from there.

you are right about the jargon, btw. but here's the deal, new people don't know the jargon and they don't know all the stuff that you guys have built over time and know because you have watched the game develop. it's pretty intimidating for a new person to come into this game. you want tron to grow and you want fortress competitions to grow, but then when people try to help with growth you shoot them down.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

destiny wrote:wow concord, that was a little harsh. i have been making progress, but i'm not sure it's really wanted after reading concords post.
It's just Concord. Feel free to ignore him. Especially since he must have posted in his rare prick mode.
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

Z-Man wrote:
destiny wrote:wow concord, that was a little harsh. i have been making progress, but i'm not sure it's really wanted after reading concords post.
It's just Concord. Feel free to ignore him. Especially since he must have posted in his rare prick mode.
Or Minefield must've hacked his forums account.
destiny
Average Program

Post by destiny »

lol ok thanks guys :D i should have something to show you very soon, i've been working on all of the peices and i'm about ready to pull them together for the preliminary example.
Shock
Core Dumper

Post by Shock »

destiny wrote:i'm just trying to help. i have been trying to promote the game and i get quite a few people to take a look at the site and then they aren't impressed with the site and don't want to bother looking at the actual game, or they get the game downloaded and don't know where to go from there.
ya haha no offense but this forum is a bit dull, the wiki is nice though
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Shock wrote:ya haha no offense but this forum is a bit dull, the wiki is nice though
Maybe everyone should have outrageously huge signatures? And while we are at it, how about some more graphics and background images to make pages load slower? More flashing things? How about a bunch of other "features" that make my browser crash too? Yeah. That sounds great.

Sorry, I come from the "less is more" school. Call me dull. I call it efficient.
pike
Round Winner

Post by pike »

Shock wrote:ya haha no offense but this forum is a bit dull, the wiki is nice though
Goto "user control panel"
Then "board preferences"
Set "My board style" to "armaunified"
Submit

:D
sol
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by sol »

@destiny: have a look at http://armagetron.co.uk/
destiny
Average Program

Post by destiny »

That is very nice, that is more or less what I had in mind for the main arma site. its easy to navigate and has things to help people new to the game.